ASUS EX3 Thunderbolt card and MOTU AVB Interfaces

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
lbcbdr
Primary DAW OS: Windows

ASUS EX3 Thunderbolt card and MOTU AVB Interfaces

Post by lbcbdr »

Has anyone gotten the ASUS EX3 to work with one of the AVB Interfces via athunderbolt 3 to 2 adaptor?

I have an ASUS Prime z390-A MOBO with the ex3 card and it worked at one point for 5 minutes that after a restart nothing. This is Windows 10 64bit. Not sure if it is bios settings are right.

Thanks LBC
lbcbdr

Re: ASUS EX3 Thunderbolt card and MOTU AVB Interfaces

Post by lbcbdr »

Finally got thunderbolt working on my pc. But having weird issue. My 16A starts out fine but after a few minutes the inputs stop sending signal to cubase. All the outputs work but no incoming audio. Signal is passing through the 16A according to the routing page but no audio showing up in Cubase pro 10. Again outputs to my speakers is working. If I reboot the pc i get. Everything working for a bit then loose the inputs again. Also USB works fine. Any Thoughts.

Thanks LBC
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

lbcbdr wrote: Any Thoughts?
Yeah, you are using Thunderbolt with a PC. I wish you well, out there on the bleeding edge.

Not trying to be mean. It's just that the move to TB has been fits and starts outside of the Mac world. I hope you get it sorted soon.
:smash:
lbcbdr

Post by lbcbdr »

Thanks for you support Fortunately I hve USB to fall back on
Puebow

Post by Puebow »

Hello, My first post although I have been a longtime MOTU user...MKII firewire for 7 years that has just worked with windows with no issues..... I just upgraded to 828es for the advertised decreased latency (currently running on usb2)..so MOTU advertises that Thunderbolt is compatible with Windows 10...so do we know what system it was tested on.. can I have a list of functional MOBOs and MOBOs with functional TB add-on cards. Thank you...
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

Head over to Gearslutz; there is a lengthy thread (133 pages!) re; MOTU interfaces. You may find some references, or you can inquire and see what folks are using.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... rface.html

There is also an 828es thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... sions.html

I'm running an older, pre-TB Mac, but USB has been rock-solid for me.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
madmetal

Re: ASUS EX4Thunderbolt card and MOTU AVB Interfaces and rants

Post by madmetal »

my old trusty firewire 828 finally died. So after debating between the hybrids and avb i decided to spend the bucks and go flagship stuff. New pc running windows 11 , asus board (z690 12 gen intel alder lake) with tb headers. the only card supported is the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4. So piled out the bucks for that getting all excited. Discovery states no devices attached to approve. What the heck?? Motu says oh we are TB2 so you have to spend another $75 for funky connectors to bridge back from tb 4 to tb2. Again, its 2022 whats with all the outdated TB 2 and usb2 hardware in state of the art flagship stuff??
So i buy the overpriced apple connectors and again Discovery reports no devices. Motu says it was tested on Windows but never got a reply as to their test machine, bios configs etc.
So yes i can connect using usb or ethernet, but really gets me PO'd to waste weeks of time and money chasing a solution Motu advertises but cant support. Of course other pet peeve is scattered documentation via video. More weeks wasted hunting videos..then trying to watch and have the product screens up. Not what I expect after spending thousands on product. However, cakewalk given away free, manages to post a nice pdf user manual and keeps it current.
Have been a past fan of Motu, but now having buyers remorse as it seems development stopped like 5 years ago. Even the videos have "coming soon" links that have been that way for years. Sure the core product seems to work, but 4 mo now after having it, still trying to fine tune out all the glitches. Also was bummed to find out all my 8 analog inputs (using for shure 57 drum mics) are insufficient for dynamics and need preamps so need to drop another $1500 on a product not available. Motus solution is to buy a lower end old tech (828pre) and adap it in yet the preamps will be substandard to my "new flagship" setup. Also sounds like the cuebase will also hose up sound drivers from other posts on here. Everything just seems like a total hack work around.
It would be nice if Motu spent there money on all the thunderbolt cables and pc cards and published tested machines...and KEPT UP TO DATE. I believe i read that Intel has stopped supporting TB2 due to new chip architecture but cant find the article - read so many now
So if anyone has had success with the ASUS ThunderboltEX 4 and cabling (why apple cables dont work is beyond me) i would be interested. Also if anyone has had issues with the new avb routing software being compatible- meaning no handstands, disable this, switch that on and off spin twice with the cubase 828pre software i would grudgingly be interested
Stage b-16
828 es
avb switch
ultra lite
mk828