Can't get 828es 5.1 surround working with Windows 10

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
1synopsis
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Can't get 828es 5.1 surround working with Windows 10

Post by 1synopsis »

Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration on my Motu 828es.

In the Windows Speaker setup, I only see options for Mono and Stereo.

In my Motu settings, Monitor A is set to Analog 1-6 (5.1). Drivers are up to date.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
ronjams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can't get 828es 5.1 surround working with Windows 10

Post by ronjams »

On the front panel make sure under the monitor section that you have enabled both the A the B sides in this section highlighted in blue in order to hear everything in your phones mix on the routings page you must enable the computer signals channels that is the correct number of channels and route signals to your analog outputs and then directly to your speaker configuration individually
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
1synopsis

Post by 1synopsis »

Thanks ronjams!

Everything you mentioned seems to be setup correctly on the Motu side:

Monitor A is setup to Analog 1-6 (5.1) and in the routing matrix has individual From Computer channels routed to respective Analog outs (i.e. From Computer 1 to Analog 1, From Computer 2 to Analog 2, From Computer 3 to Analog 3 etc.)

Here are screenshots of what it looks like on my end:
MotuABMonitorSetup_01.JPG
MotuABMonitorSetup_01.JPG (16.41 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
MotuRoutingMatrix_01.JPG
MotuRoutingMatrix_01.JPG (94.71 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

What I see is that your outputs seem to only carry the computer signals from output 1&2 only and not the individual signals coming from your computer/daw which needs to be set to separate outputs.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

With reference to 'Windows Speaker Setup' from the OP, I don't think setting up 5.1 via the Sound Control Panel is possible with the provided drivers. As far as I can see, there is no Windows Audio or WASAPI driver provided for anything other than a stereo pair or 1-24 Pro Audio I/O. Whatever app you'd be using for video playback would have to allow you to configure 5.1 using the 1-24 Pro Audio or ASIO driver, so it's not configured at the system level, the app defines it (i.e. Davinci Resolve). Most pro stuff uses the ASIO drivers and any apps that understand ASIO should be easily configured for 5.1 (i.e. all the well known DAWs we all use). Hope that made sense.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

Did you get your configuration going?
qweqwe

Post by qweqwe »

The driver wont let you use it as a surround sound set up but there is a workaround via Asio-bridge:
https://vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
Install it, restart windows, go into windows sound settings (the old ones in control panel), select Hifi Cable Input as your default device, click configure and finish the wizard with your intended surround set up.
Now run Asio bridge from the start menu, click on the blue "ASIO Device:" in the middle and select your interface, click on ASIO OFF to turn it on.
If you get sound drop outs make sure the sample rate of the new virtual audio drivers (there's a co-driver in the Recording tab of the windows sound settings) is the same as in your interface.
jingobelt

Post by jingobelt »

qweqwe wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:54 pm The driver wont let you use it as a surround sound set up
oh come on.
just posted this when I saw your topic: viewtopic.php?t=72581

after all those years they still don't support muti-channel?