Rogue Amoeba Shout Out

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Rogue Amoeba Shout Out

Post by stubbsonic »

Since I started teaching online lessons (mostly Zoom, occasionally Skype), I've used Rogue Amoeba software for a few things.

First of all, Fission is a great little audio editor that I use to play audio tracks and pipe them into Zoom sessions. Helpfuly, it provides a choice of audio output device (independent of the "system" choice). It gives me a nice waveform overview that makes it easy to find sections.

Then there is Audio Hijack which allows me route and record audio between and amongst apps.

And finally, Loopback which allows me to create these custom audio input or output devices that I can use to get audio into Zoom. Because these devices persist, most of my settings are one-and-done.

The developer is super responsive and the apps have really thoughtful designs and elegant graphical elements that result in a smooth and clear user experience.

The pace of updates is reasonable, and the new features are fantastic.

As I'm not a social media kinda fella, I thought I'd just come on here and give them props.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: Rogue Amoeba Shout Out

Post by mikehalloran »

Interesting. I see there’s a trial for Audio Hijack now:

https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/buy.php

I’m able to do everything I need through BlackHole and the screen recording app bundled with Toast that still installs Soundflower (yes, really). It works well but is still more convoluted than I like—I need to have the Preferences/Sound window open and switch outputs to monitor and playback. If Audio Hijack eliminates that and makes things smoother, I’m in.

Thanks for the heads up!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:16 pmFirst of all, Fission is a great little audio editor that I use to play audio tracks and pipe them into Zoom sessions. It gives me a nice waveform overview that makes it easy to find sections.
Cool. I have Fission, and if I recall correctly, it is the only audio editor I know of that allows you to edit MP3 files directly?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:40 pm ... if I recall correctly, it is the only audio editor I know of that allows you to edit MP3 files directly?
That's correct. It allows you to do edits without re-encoding. Though if you need super precise editing, it is still better to do that in DP. It's nice for splitting long mp3's, and batch conversions.
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:53 pm I’m able to do everything I need through BlackHole and the screen recording app bundled with Toast that still installs Soundflower (yes, really). It works well but is still more convoluted than I like—I need to have the Preferences/Sound window open and switch outputs to monitor and playback. If Audio Hijack eliminates that and makes things smoother, I’m in.
They recently released version 4 of Audio Hijack which makes things even more turn-key than they already were. I just upgraded a few hours ago, so I hold off on any descriptions until I understand it more thoroughly.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:16 pmThey recently released version 4 of Audio Hijack which makes things even more turn-key than they already were. I just upgraded a few hours ago, so I hold off on any descriptions until I understand it more thoroughly.
I got that too recently. Soon as I got the Mac Studio, I went a little crazy trying to upgrade everything I could.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

love love LOVE Loopback. Used everyday with our team online and while also using audiomovers listen to to produce remotely.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:40 pm
Cool. I have Fission, and if I recall correctly, it is the only audio editor I know of that allows you to edit MP3 files directly?
Not the only one. That is among TwistedWave’s many tricks. Wavepad, Wondershare Filmora, Audacity and others can edit mp3s, too, as can GaageBand and QuickTime—not that I would recommend any of the last 3 for that purpose.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

labman wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:03 am love love LOVE Loopback. Used everyday with our team online and while also using audiomovers listen to to produce remotely.
https://www.sonobus.net/index.html

This is a free alternative to Audiomovers; not as easy for clients to use as it requires them to install the app, but is allows bi-directional audio for collaborative situations. If one only occasionally needs a remote, one can avoid the annual $100 Audiomovers' fee.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
James Steele wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:40 pm
Not the only one. That is among TwistedWave’s many tricks. Wavepad, Wondershare Filmora, Audacity and others can edit mp3s, too, as can GaageBand and QuickTime—not that I would recommend any of the last 3 for that purpose.
I have Twisted Wave and I like it a lot. I used ir a lot when making audio previews for NKS support libraries as it will save audio as Ogg Vorbis.

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 am
https://www.sonobus.net/index.html

This is a free alternative to Audiomovers; not as easy for clients to use as it requires them to install the app, but is allows bi-directional audio for collaborative situations. If one only occasionally needs a remote, one can avoid the annual $100 Audiomovers' fee.

thank you Markus. :)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Rogue Amoeba sent an email blast this morning celebrating their 20th anniversary. In 2002, "Mac OS X was barely a year old." I realized I bought Audio Hijack in 2004, so I've been along for much of the ride so far. R.A. has had an ever-increasing role in my daily audio/computer life.

Out of curiosity, I popped over to check out "Farrago" which is their sound-board app for live theatre or broadcast situations. Looks great!

https://rogueamoeba.com/farrago/

All Rogue Amoeba apps are 20% off through the 9/30/22.