DP 11.2 Melodyne Integration

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.2 Melodyne Integration

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:35 pm And yes, Essential shows all the blobs on a track so you can change a piano note in a chord — but getting all the harmonics can be an absolute bear. Don’t expect instant miracles. Nothing works perfectly on old voices.
cuttime wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:01 pm
dix wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 am Oh! Does this free version of Melodyn had polyphonic editing, and their Audio to MIDI implementation? I thought that was only on the flagship version. That is definitely something I would use.
Yes, it does polyphony:
Wow... I just looked the Melodyne site and it makes no mention of polyphonic pitch editing with Essentials; looks like one need Editor to get that. Are you guys saying it work with Essential using Essential, or did you already have Editor?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:47 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:35 pm And yes, Essential shows all the blobs on a track so you can change a piano note in a chord — but getting all the harmonics can be an absolute bear. Don’t expect instant miracles. Nothing works perfectly on old voices.
cuttime wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:01 pm

Yes, it does polyphony:
Wow... I just looked the Melodyne site and it makes no mention of polyphonic pitch editing with Essentials; looks like one need Editor to get that. Are you guys saying it work with Essential using Essential, or did you already have Editor?
Sorry, I misspoke. From the Essentials manual:

"In Melodyne essential and assistant, of course, you can only see the notes of polyphonic instruments, displayed as gray blobs. With the editions Melodyne editor and Melodyne studio, on the other hand, can you also edit the polyphonic blobs and change, for example, the G of an E minor chord to G# to obtain a chord of E major."
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

FYI James is right as rain, you have to have the VST3 version of the Melodyne plug in to use the ARA support. My installation started out AU only and no go, arming the VST3 plug in in the preferences and it works fine.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

So great to finally have ARA support in DP!
Thanks for the info about using Melodyne as a VST3.
First tried it as AU and it was a no go.
So cool to have the transport functionality.
Has worked this way in Logic for a while, but I'm a DP guy.
Thanks MOTU
All is well
Babz

Post by Babz »

Chandrasekar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:03 am The first DP 11.2 version video on you tube is out by Bo Astrup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6OkQxo-BMs

Regards.

Thanks so much for sharing this video! I've only used Melodyne stand alone in the past, and have no idea what "ARA" is. I had been trying to figure out why the VST3 would not show up in my plugin menu and probably never would have figured things out without a video like this! (But OMG do I HATE those fake friendly computer voices! I love Stephen Hawking's voice, but it's that creepy "uncanny valley" thing with these kind of voices that makes me want to laser blast the robot uprising!)

I've never had need to pitch correct anything but mono audio, and in the past DP's Pure DSP has been as good or better than other things I've tried like Melodyne or Izotope RX. But, as others have commented, it all depends on the particular audio and what you need to do with it!

Looking forward to checking this out more!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

At the risk of being redundant:
Digital Performer from Version 11.2 supports the ARA interface extension. This makes significantly simpler and better Melodyne workflows possible.

Thanks to ARA it is now possible to open audio tracks directly in Melodyne and without tiresome transfers. That saves a great deal of time and unnecessary mouse clicks.

If soundbites on a track or within a sequence are shortened, lengthened, moved or copied, Melodyne mirrors these changes automatically. This also means you can rearrange your material without any problems, even if it has already been edited with Melodyne.
Furthermore, it makes passing on Digital Performer projects far simpler, as with ARA all the data management is handled automatically.
To take advantage of these possibilities, you need, in addition to DP 11.2, Version 5.3 of Melodyne. For a free update, choose “Check for Updates” from the Help menu of your Melodyne.

Another thing to bear in mind: Every DP 11 user receives a serial number for Melodyne 5 essential free of charge. You’ll find this in your MOTU user account. However, since you already own Melodyne, you can also use this serial number as a coupon to the value of 20 €/US$ in our web shop. A great opportunity, then, to upgrade and get still more Melodyne: more tools, more possibilities, more benefits!
Incidentally, the coupon is also valid on Black Friday and, for owners of Melodyne 5 studio, even for an update to Version 6 whenever it is released.

https://helpcenter.celemony.com/M5/doc ... standAlone
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:10 am Incidentally, the coupon is also valid on Black Friday and, for owners of Melodyne 5 studio, even for an update to Version 6 whenever it is released.
Yeah, they thought this out really well.. everybody gets something from the goodie bag. I have Melodyne 5 Studio, nowhere to upgrade, so knowing I can get a few bucks off version 6 is pretty cool. Way to go MOTU and Celemony, you guys are doing it right.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

I also have Studio, so this is a really nice thing to see them do. Classy and appreciated!
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
magicd

Post by magicd »

Hey all!

I just saw the update notice. I'm still on DP10. I use it everyday to make a living. Since I don't work for MOTU anymore I don't get free upgrades ;-)

I have seen nothing in any of the updates since 10 that cause me to want to pay money. At this point I'm running on OS 11.5 I know from experience that at some point my computer will either die or become obsolete and I'll have to upgrade my CPU and OS. I also know that at some point I'll have to update DP to stay compatible. I may not be there yet, but it will happen.

I work in a ProTools studio which has Melodyne installed. I hate it. The DP-based pitch correction is so much better in so many ways. There was a time that MOTU wrote their own code and did some really innovative things. It broke my heart to see that MOTU gave up on yet another of their own innovations and just partnered up with someone else to deliver a feature which marketing hopes will sell a few more copies.

I'll stay with DP if I have to upgrade. But if they drop the native pitch correction, that's when I'll look for an alternative DAW. I know, don't let the door hit me on the butt...

Dave
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hey there Dave! Nice to hear from you.

I stayed with DP10 until I moved to Apple Silicon; let me just say, these Macs are so fast and fun to use... sped up my workflow tremendously.

I will certainly be continuing to use DP's built-in pitch and time functionality; since the new DSP algorithms were added, I've found DP most excellent for a broad range of tasks. That said, there are a few Melodyne functions that will probably come in very handy, so I welcome this new inclusion in DP. ARA should also eventually work with VocAlign in DP, too, which will be nice.

Hope you are continuing to enjoy your "new" gig, and that life is treating you and yours well in every way!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

magicd wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:04 am I have seen nothing in any of the updates since 10 that cause me to want to pay money.
That’s where I am. I keep looking for a reason to update, but most if not all of the new stuff looks like it might make it a bit faster or easier to do things you can already do. And that was the message delivered more than once in the last webinar. Not better, but faster. So it will likely appeal to many people looking to improve productivity.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

magicd wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:04 am Hey all!

I just saw the update notice. I'm still on DP10. I use it everyday to make a living. Since I don't work for MOTU anymore I don't get free upgrades ;-)

I have seen nothing in any of the updates since 10 that cause me to want to pay money. At this point I'm running on OS 11.5 I know from experience that at some point my computer will either die or become obsolete and I'll have to upgrade my CPU and OS. I also know that at some point I'll have to update DP to stay compatible. I may not be there yet, but it will happen.

I work in a ProTools studio which has Melodyne installed. I hate it. The DP-based pitch correction is so much better in so many ways. There was a time that MOTU wrote their own code and did some really innovative things. It broke my heart to see that MOTU gave up on yet another of their own innovations and just partnered up with someone else to deliver a feature which marketing hopes will sell a few more copies.

I'll stay with DP if I have to upgrade. But if they drop the native pitch correction, that's when I'll look for an alternative DAW. I know, don't let the door hit me on the butt...

Dave
I think you're just not used to Melodyne. Sure I like the way the pitch works for mono files in DP, but there is something to be said for pitch and time in the same window, and polyphonic pitch detection. Celemony do one thing, and that is going to result in a more complex algorithm.

Besides they aren't going to get rid of their native pitch correction, they still have MIDI tune requests for the dozen or so poly analog synths that can use it something like 30 years after it's a relevant feature. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

magicd wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:04 am I work in a ProTools studio which has Melodyne installed. I hate it. The DP-based pitch correction is so much better in so many ways.
Hi Dave, good to see you here! I noticed that Avid sent me a link announcing ARA for ProTools is imminent.. interesting that MOTU beat them to it, and Avid has been bundling Melodyne for how long?

Another curious thing to me is how several of the new features DP has added, particularly since version 11, seem like efforts to make it more like, or compete with Pro Tools.

And it's working. I was making the transition into Pro Tools as my main composing DAW last year, and DP brought me back with these new features. Well, that and Pro Tools is like a dirty old dog that need a bath, but I digress..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Yo! Very nice to see everybody. I do lurk here and there.

Tupence and all...

Absolutely correct that I'm not a Melodyne expert or even regular user. Consider me ignorant!
As mentioned, I do work in a ProTools studio as a producer. I direct the engineer to do certain tasks. He's been to ProTools school. What I see is that he has to go from the track to a different window to do the fix. At that point maybe it's a matter of skills, but I know I can get faster and nicer sounding results on voice, sax, or lead guitar (which is what I need) from the DP pitch shifting. But the thing that drives me bonkers is that what I see in ProTools/Melodyne is if a pitch correction is made to a soundbite (I think its called a Region in PT) and then that soundbite is moved or edited, the pitch shifting doesn't stay connected and has to be redone. Maybe its the ProTools expert...

What happens in the new DP update if you use this new pitch correction and then move, trim, copy/paste, or cut the soundbite? And do you have to leave the Sequence Editor to do the pitch edit?

Dave
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

magicd wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:14 pm a soundbite (I think its called a Region in PT)
:rofl:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8