MacOS Update Removed Volume Control

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
RFox62
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacOS Update Removed Volume Control

Post by RFox62 »

Hi Folks,

This is my first post to this forum, as I have never had a problem to post about :)

It appears recent update to Monterey 12.6 removed the ability to control audio levels for my Motu 8pre USB. In iMac's sound preferences - it says "the selected device has no output controls."

Never had this problem previously.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated !
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MacOS Update Removed Volume Control

Post by James Steele »

It might be that you have to go into Pro Audio Control to adjust it? I don’t know. I haven’t had my 828ES that long.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No, MacOS 12.6 did not remove anything in Preferences/Sound. Really, it didn’t.

How you have it set up depends on whether Preferences/Sound will show a volume control. Start from the Audio window of Apple’s Audio MIDI Setup.app and make sure everything’s set ok. In Preferences/Sound, make sure that your preferred Sound In and Out devices are selected.

Are the MOTU drivers properly loaded or is there a Security setting that is keeping this from happening? MOTU has support docs on this.

I don’t know what DAW you are using but, if DP is controlling volume, you will not be able to do so in Preferences/Sound. DP 11 has a check box to mirror System Audio or not.

Too many places to look.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bdr

Post by bdr »

I *think* that what seems to have happened is that in the past you could also see the visual indicator of your device's volume superimposed on the screen as you changed it, and now you don't. You only see it if you're changing the computer volume. I have my Apogee Duet chosen as my main sound output, and the volume knob works fine, just, as I said, without the visual indicator on the screen.

Apple moves in mysterious ways.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.