Crashes when merging large/long tracks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
schmargle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Crashes when merging large/long tracks

Post by schmargle »

Hi there.

I'm having a strange crashing issue with merging.

Years ago, I recorded a number of live gigs with DP. I edited the various tracks and now I want to consolidate (i.e., merge) each track so I can hand off the tracks to someone else for mixing outside of DP. I'll also create some stereo stems, but what I want now is just a single audio file for each track.

The projects are large. I recorded a full set (about 45 minutes) per project. So a single merged track could be up to about 1 GB.

I started by selecting all tracks and merging, but the project kept crashing. So, I tried...

—Merging one track at a time: Sometimes it works, other times either DP crashes or I get a spinning beach ball.
—Removing all plug-ins: Same result.
—Reducing the number of tracks (like deleting all except for the drums): Same result.
—Trying another live project: Same result.
—Saving the project in DP 11 first: Same result.
—Deleting the analysis files first: Same result.

I haven't had this issue with smaller (shorter) projects, where it's just a single song. But I can't figure out why DP would have a problem with long tracks...and only some of the time.

I know there's probably a way I can bounce in mono or something, but I rather use merging if possible, since that's how I've done it for years in the past.

Any insights or suggestions?

Thanks!

Oh, I'm using DP 11.11 on an M1 MacBook Pro with 32 GB of RAM running MacOS 12.5.1.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crashes when merging large/long tracks

Post by mikehalloran »

Increase your buffer and see if that has any effect.

Is your project on your System drive or an external?

Is it actually crashing or just hanging and not completing?

Are you running Native or over Rosetta 2? If Native, what about any plug-in?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Thanks for the reply.

—OK, increased my buffer to the max: Same result.
—I've tried both the system drive and external drives (two different ones): Same result.
—Crashing or hanging: Both. Sometimes it gets about halfway through the merge and just hangs forever. Other times it gets almost to the end and crashes.
—I've removed all plug-ins: Same result.
—I had been running DP native. I just tried with Rosetta: Same result.

I've also tried creating a clipping with the files and bringing the clipping into a new project, but the same thing happens.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Odd. I record a 2 hour 40 track radio broadcast every few weeks. Merges might be slow on my 2012 iMac with data on an external drive, but it’s never crashed.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Odd. I record a 2 hour 40 track radio broadcast every few weeks. Merges might be slow on my 2012 iMac with data on an external drive, but it’s never crashed.
Like Doug, I run lengthy projects without problems.

What do MOTU & Apple say about the crash reports?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Just submitted a ticket to MOTU with the crash report. I'll let you know what they say.
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Well, still no luck. I've updated Digital Performer to the new version (11.2) and tried MOTU's suggestions, including deleting the Com.MOTU.MOTUAudioSystem folder from Library>Preferences. But I'm still getting the same results: projects continue to hang or crash.

I didn't get the sense that MOTU is reading the crash report (or that it provided any meaningful info).

So, I give up.