DP 11.2 is OUT!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.2 is OUT!!!

Post by mhschmieder »

Everything is A-OK at my end. Quick update as well.

I'm confused though. The previous update was 11.11, and now we're back to 11.2?

Maybe when MOTU has multiple digits, it's meant to be read as 11.1.1, so it's a minor point release on 11.1?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

All this is nice, but main thing I want to know:

Did they fix the Audition Selection (option-spacebar) bug?

For those who didn't know about this bug... In DP 11.11, Audition Selection and Bounce To Disk do not work correctly. It does not playback your highlighted selection, but instead plays ALL tracks. This bug is tied to the new consolidated Instrument tracks. If you used the traditional DP instrument track w/ separate MIDI track, the bug would not occur.

Thanks!

Babz
dix

Post by dix »

Babz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:10 pm All this is nice, but main thing I want to know:

For those who didn't know about this bug... In DP 11.11, Audition Selection and Bounce To Disk do not work correctly. It does not playback your highlighted selection, but instead plays ALL tracks. This bug is tied to the new consolidated Instrument tracks. If you used the traditional DP instrument track w/ separate MIDI track, the bug would not occur.
Maybe. partly? "Fixed spurious inclusion of combined instrument tracks in bounce- to-disk and audition selection."
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Babz

Post by Babz »

dix wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:18 pm
Babz wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:10 pm All this is nice, but main thing I want to know:

Maybe. partly? "Fixed spurious inclusion of combined instrument tracks in bounce- to-disk and audition selection."
Thanks! Sounds promising! I'm wary about installing an update right now, but I guess I'll test for myself soon. Option-spacebar and Bounce To Disk -- such essential things I use like 50 times a day, I couldn't believe such a bug could go out like that. I would go so far as to say it is the most incredible bug I've ever seen in 30 years of DP. But whatever, things happen. I'm hoping for better stability and looking forward to checking out DP 11.2!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:I'm confused though. The previous update was 11.11, and now we're back to 11.2?

Maybe when MOTU has multiple digits, it's meant to be read as 11.1.1, so it's a minor point release on 11.1?
I’ve noticed some companies do this. Think of it as 11.20 versus 11.11.

Which has the greater numerical value? .2 or .11? At first when I saw this, I didn’t get it either, but it looks like that’s becoming a standard now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MusicXML fixes … do they know that Michael Good is retiring in a few months? Anyway, glad to see these.

After an update like this, I recommend that Mac users start DP in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key. Nothing will work but that’s not the point as it rebuilds paths to dependent libraries and plug-ins as well as resets any caches to Default. When DP has finished loading, quit and restart normally.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Good info, Mike. Will do that right now!

Thank you.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dix wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:22 pm Maybe not documented because it isn't fixed for everyone. Me for instance. Tried it on a few projects. All crash-on-drag to desktop.
I spoke too soon... just tried it again on an existing project "D", from Tracks Window: Boom. DP Gone. From Sequence Editor: Boom. DP Gone.

Opened a slightly earlier version of the same project, "C". Dragged and dropped to desktop without issue form both Tracks and SE.

Opened "D" again. Drag: CRASH.

Opened "C" again. Draggin' and droppin' like all is well with the world.

Fine. Be that way. Reporting to MOTU.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:54 pm
mhschmieder wrote:I'm confused though. The previous update was 11.11, and now we're back to 11.2?

I’ve noticed some companies do this. Think of it as 11.20 versus 11.11.

Which has the greater numerical value? .2 or .11? At first when I saw this, I didn’t get it either, but it looks like that’s becoming a standard now.
It's the mathematician way to do it, 11.2 is greater than 11.11 in every math equation ever. If you wanted to write it as a lower number you would write 11.02. Since Developers are math geeks they're going to use math protocol, not common shortcuts. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
npj

Post by npj »

I'm getting a crash when exporting to OMF. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've tried tweaking export settings and even exporting from a fresh new DP file.

Instant crash on export every time. :(
Michael Canavan

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:36 pm
dix wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:22 pm Maybe not documented because it isn't fixed for everyone. Me for instance. Tried it on a few projects. All crash-on-drag to desktop.
I spoke too soon... just tried it again on an existing project "D", from Tracks Window: Boom. DP Gone. From Sequence Editor: Boom. DP Gone.

Opened a slightly earlier version of the same project, "C". Dragged and dropped to desktop without issue form both Tracks and SE.

Opened "D" again. Drag: CRASH.

Opened "C" again. Draggin' and droppin' like all is well with the world.

Fine. Be that way. Reporting to MOTU.
Honestly I never even thought to drag audio from the Sequence or Tracks windows. I can see why someone would want to do that, I've just never had that really work in any DAW I've used. I think of those as edit windows, and the Soundbite or similar audio window in other DAWs, as the place to export audio from. I've had it work with MIDI in other DAWs but not audio. So I assumed you meant the Soundbites window. They should at least prevent a crash, because yeah, that sometimes crashes DP with malice here. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I wonder if this update fixes the weird issue I’ve had where recorded MIDI notes randomly “grow” in length to something much longer than what I entered. Not kidding, I’ve watched them grow in size after I enter them. And it’s only certain notes, like C1 on a drum track or G3 on a piano track. Sometimes the notes grow to as long as 22 bars.

Trashing DP’s Preferences has always temporarily fixed the issue for me. Hope it’s gone in 11.2!
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Whatever bugs we encounter, always good to report to MOTU via a techlink so they can squash 'em!
Michael Canavan

OK this is just beyond fantastic!!! :dance: :headbang: :dance:

I have Melodyne Studio 4, just never got around to updating Melodyne, I mostly use it for learning guitar parts on songs, as a crazy harmonizer and other uses that don't include fixing pitchy vocals. Celemony honor your free copy of Essential as cost off the upgrade price. :shock: So my $149 upgrade to Studio 5 becomes $49!!!

Celemony and MOTU get massive credit here! :love:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:41 am OK this is just beyond fantastic!!! :dance: :headbang: :dance:

I have Melodyne Studio 4, just never got around to updating Melodyne, I mostly use it for learning guitar parts on songs, as a crazy harmonizer and other uses that don't include fixing pitchy vocals. Celemony honor your free copy of Essential as cost off the upgrade price. :shock: So my $149 upgrade to Studio 5 becomes $49!!!

Celemony and MOTU get massive credit here! :love:
I believe that the same thing happened to me when Nectar 3 included Essential 5 while I was on Studio 4.

Sometimes you just gotta love how things work out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro