New Audio Interface for Monterrey?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

New Audio Interface for Monterrey?

Post by billgers »

I'm about to do a major upgrade of my OS and various software and it has come to my attention that my ancient 828 mk.3 Firewire unit (replete with at least 3 adaptors to get it to work with my Mac Mini) can no longer be expected to work with the latest OS. My questions are as follows:

1) Is my understanding above correct?
2) If so, is there any advantage to continuing to use a MOTU interface for use with DP or can I use an interface from a different company without any major issues?
3) I probably have more connectivity than I currently need. Any thoughts on M4 vs the UltraLite-mk5 Mk. 5? Other than inputs/outputs, are there any other major differences between these?
4) If using an interface from another company presents no issues with using DP is there a non-MOTU interface that might be better suited? I prioritize ease-of-use and quality. I can go up to $1,000. Don't need a ton of inputs/outputs.

Thanks!
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Audio Interface for Monterrey?

Post by stubbsonic »

1) I have an "ancient" RME interface that uses Firewire (and adapters). It works fine, but drops its MIDI connection/driver when waking from sleep. My workaround is to not let my new computer sleep (I just shut it down). You could do your OS upgrade and see how it goes? But it does make sense to plan for a new interface.

2) MOTU used to talk about the feature of sample-accurate locking of MIDI and audio with their interfaces. I don't know if that is still the case with MOTU interfaces, or whether that feature is also possible with 3rd party interfaces. There might be some elegances with using DP and a MOTU interface, but I've had no issues with non-MOTU interfaces. (Well, years ago, I had trouble with a cheap presonus i/o, had crackles).

3) I didn't have very good luck with the M4. Lots of hoop-jumping to get it to work on an iPad, and various wake-from-sleep issues. YMMV. I expect the UltraLite Mk5 looks fantastic. I like that it has a dedicated power input (unlike the M4).

4) I'll let others chime in on this one.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On Q2, if the audio interface is compatible with the macOS version you want to use, it will be compatible with DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Monterey is not an issue—anything you’ve read to the contrary is wrong. Find and download the driver for the 828mk3 Hybrid and you’ll be fine. You’ll have to grant some permissions but you’ll have to do that with ay drivers. MOTU has a bulletin on that. My 828mkII FW runs just fine over Monterey on my iMac Pro and M1 MacBook Air.

That said, FW does not have the near-zero latency of the latest Fast USB 2 interfaces made with the latest (since October 2019) Cirrus and similar chip sets including the M4. These are fast enough that CueMix is not required if your buffer is low enough. The MOTU drivers add Loopback and lower the round trip latency a few microseconds below CoreAudio. Many other interfaces using the same chip sets do not offer Mac drivers including the ones that I use most. If using CueMix only to compensate for latency, you may find it’s no longer necessary—the M4 doesn’t have it; the mk5 does.

So, you’ve got time. Shop features. Ignore RTL numbers screamed by marketing departments—the difference between the highest and lowest (a Presonus TB3 interface) is the same as moving your ears 14” closer to or further from your monitor speakers. If the spec does not say 192/24k Fast USB 2 or better, you do not want it.

My favorite feature that many have is an In/Out blend/mix knob like the MOTU M4. It’s not really necessary since you can set the blend in DP but I love the convenience of adjusting that mix for the talent when overdubbing “can I have the backing tracks a little louder/softer, please?” Done! Besides my M4, I have others with this same feature from Mackie and M•Audio.

There are plenty of threads on the UltraLite-mk5 and some driver issues that may or may not affect you. Use the Search feature to find them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by billgers »

Thank you for the responses, that was very helpful. Based on this info, I will go ahead and do my updates and see if it still works and if not, I'll switch to something more current. I barely use 90% of the functionality of that 828 and so much of what I bought it for was related to the way I used to work years ago (connectivity to DA-88, DAT machine, audio snake from external mixer etc.). I could probably get away with something much smaller these days. Thanks to all of you!
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

billgers wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:24 am Thank you for the responses, that was very helpful. Based on this info, I will go ahead and do my updates and see if it still works and if not, I'll switch to something more current. I barely use 90% of the functionality of that 828 and so much of what I bought it for was related to the way I used to work years ago (connectivity to DA-88, DAT machine, audio snake from external mixer etc.). I could probably get away with something much smaller these days. Thanks to all of you!
If it’s working now, it will after the MacOS update. If not, there will be a couple places to look and we know where they are.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Calaverasgrande

Post by Calaverasgrande »

I've been on Monterey since last year when I got this new 14" MBP.
After updating to the most recent version, 12.5.1 I started getting
"this driver will no longer be supported in a future release of the Operating System" messages every time I restarted.
This was for my Microbook II which I have never been happy with aside from the small size.
So I decided to just go ahead and take care of this now instead of waiting until the last minute to upgrade and being stuck while I waited for Fedex to deliver.
I wanted to get the Ultralite MK5, it does everything. But it isn't buss powered.
So I got an M4.
So far it's been golden for mobile use.
Sounds much better than the Microbook, similar to my UAD converters.
Mic gain is a little noisy cranked up, but I rarely need to crank it up that high.
I do wish the display showed more info like Sample rate etc.