The right thunderbolt cable for 828ES...?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
theMidiTamer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: The right thunderbolt cable for 828ES...?

Post by theMidiTamer »

Hi there, any update on this matter?

I received my Motu 828es today, and being my first Thunderbolt interface ever, I realized I bought the wrong TB3 cable (USB-c connector) for it, since the connector on my laptop (Dell XPS) is a USB-c and didn't think of double-checking it on the Motu... whoops.

The cable is very expensive, and I wonder if I have to find an adapter or have to return it. I did some research and didn't find any (true) Thunderbolt cable with different connectors. Am I the only one?

Thanks
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Although the unit takes a Thunderbolt 2 cable, the correct answer depends on a) what you are connecting it to? b) how long a cable do you need overall?

Depending on the answers, you may need to keep that TB3 cable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
theMidiTamer

Post by theMidiTamer »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I need to connect the Motu 828es to my Dell XPS 15 (model 9570) which has one TB3 port available with a USB-c connector. Although I'm keeping the two devices very close, I need at least 1mt long cable, which is also the length of the TB3 cable I just bought.

Cheers
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

theMidiTamer wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 am Thanks for the quick reply!

I need to connect the Motu 828es to my Dell XPS 15 (model 9570) which has one TB3 port available with a USB-c connector. Although I'm keeping the two devices very close, I need at least 1mt long cable, which is also the length of the TB3 cable I just bought.

Cheers
Ok, you need a Thunderbolt 2 cable and a TB2 to TB3 adapter. Although the Apple adapter is required for Macs, I understand it's not Windows friendly. If the adapter you get has a TB3 pigtail, all you need is the TB2 cable. You should probably ask MOTU to name a compatible adapter or if TB2 to USB-C will work. There was a recent thread where someone named a compatible adapter but I don't recall what it was.

Just like all USB-C cables do not pass TB3, you need a cable that actually is Thunderbolt 1/2. An MDP Video cable has the same connectors but does not pass TB—these will be listed as being able to connect a monitor to a TB Mac so make sure you read the fine print. These certified cables will work:
https://smile.amazon.com/Certified-Cabl ... ref=sr_1_4
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
theMidiTamer

Post by theMidiTamer »

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to report that I've been using a Thunderbolt 2 cable + Thunderbolt adapter (TB2 to TB3) made by Startech for a couple of weeks now, and everything works flawlessly on Windows 10. Maybe not the cheapest option, but I'm quite happy. I'll leave the links here:

Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084 ... UTF8&psc=1

Adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019F ... UTF8&psc=1

I also found out that Startech is recommended by Universal Audio as well, for their thunderbolt interfaces on Windows.
milosch01

Post by milosch01 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:46 pm
labman wrote:In light of this thread, how might we extend the thunderbolt cable from a machine room to rack? I found this product but is is pricey. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... cable.html
If you need extended runs, powered USB cables are a more economical way to go. There are many on the market.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Extensi ... ooghydr-20
I just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I recently rearranged my room and wanted to keep the rack over where it sits now across the room from the PC. I was previously connected with thunderbolt and a CableMatters TB->USBC adapter for the last few years. This adapter works very well for my use case, and I am able to stream 20+ channels from my 24Ao/1248 setup at least as well as before. I want to say it actually sounds better, but how would that be possible? :)
tbwnm

Post by tbwnm »

Will a 2021 iPad Pro recognize the 828 ES when its connected directly to the Thunderbolt connector on the 828 ES (assuming the 828ES Thunderbolt port connector offers iOS compatibility)? If so, what specific cable/adapter configuration would be needed to connect them? Currently the USB 2 port on my 828ES is connected to my desktop Mac and I'm trying to see if I can also connect the iPad Pro directly to the open thunderbolt port on the 828 ES (although I assume both cannot be used at the same time) so I can send audio from the iPad Pro to the 828 ES. If not, I assume the another alternative would be to connect a USB 2/3 compatible audio interface to the iPad Pro that has either analogue and/or digital outputs to feed the analogue and/or digital inputs on the 828ES (cost effective reconditions appreciated that provides just this basic functionality)? It would be a useful feature to have multiple USB inputs directly on an audio interfaces (such as the 828ES) so that they function like the analog/digital audio inputs. I guess I could also try using the 828 ES with a USB hub and connecting both my Mac and iPad Pro (making sure both are not connected at the same time)? Many thanks for any assistance!
tbwnm

Post by tbwnm »

Got on a chat with MOTU tech support regarding my post above and the short answer is that the Thunderbolt connection on the 828ES is not compatible with the 2021 iPad Pro (even though this iPad Pro has a 40Gb/s Thunderbolt port). MOTU would need to make an iOS driver to support this (given how many people are making music on iOS devices, the A/V hardware/software companies like MOTU really need to get with the program and do this!). Transcript below:

Me Fri, 09/02/22
Will a 2021 iPad Pro recognize the 828 ES when its connected directly to the Thunderbolt connector on the 828 ES (assuming the 828ES Thunderbolt port connector offers iOS compatibility)? If so, what specific cable/adapter configuration would be needed to connect them?

MOTU Travis Hagan
Thanks for writing. This interface can be connected to an iOS device USB only. Thunderbolt operation is available on macOS and Windows computer

Me
ok thanks
I thought given the 2021 iPad Pro has Thunderbolt compatibility it might work with the 828 ES

MOTU Travis Hagan
I understand. we don't have a driver that can run on the iPad, so only Class Compliant operation is supported

MOTU Travis Hagan
You will need a standard Thunderbolt 2 cable to connect to a Mac. If your Mac has Type-C connectors, you'll need a Type-C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
you can connect the 828es to a hub, but it cannot be hosted by two devices simultaneously. it'll have to be one or the other.

Me
Right, access to the USB ports on the mac and 828 ES is not easy in my set up which is why I'm looking at using a hub that I can access easily to connect and reconnect the USB. It would be a useful feature to have multiple USB inputs directly on an audio interfaces (such as the 828ES) so that they function like the analog/digital audio inputs.

MOTU Travis Hagan
yeah, I agree. always happy to log as a feature request

Me 11:36:02 am
Is there a USB Hub you could recommend for the 828 ES? In my experience not all hubs work reliably when it comes high speed to A/V.

MOTU Travis Hagan
I typically recommend going with a powered hub
Anker tends to be very reliable in my experience
to be honest, I have an Amazon Basics one which has served me well, though there are so many options out there, it's hard to say
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Will a 2021 iPad Pro recognize the 828 ES when its connected directly to the Thunderbolt connector on the 828 ES (assuming the 828ES Thunderbolt port connector offers iOS compatibility)?
Didn't see this before or I could have saved you a call. The USB-C iPad Pro does not support Thunderbolt audio. TB3 on the M1 iPad is limited to video only.

Audio is USB 2 and 3 over the USB-C port.