Motu 828 MkIII firewire malfunction

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Motu 828 MkIII firewire malfunction

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I posted this in the slightly wrong forum yesterday, since I use my 828 on a Mac instead of Windows...
The other day my Motu 828 MkIII (firewire only version) quit working. When I turn it on, it starts to boot up, then after a few seconds the display gets dimmer and it gets stuck with "cue mix fx loading" on the screen and never finishes booting up. If I toggle one of the phantom power switches on and off, the display gets a little brighter when phantom power is on. I already had this unit repaired under Motu's flat fee repair program several years ago. Have they discontinued this program? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on possible do-it-myself repair attempts? Thanks in advance for your input! I CAN use a soldering iron and multimeter :-)

Doug
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Motu 828 MkIII firewire malfunction

Post by mikehalloran »

The MOTU refurb replacement program is dead once warranty has expired. Likewise, they do not provide schematics or parts lists.

First, try to reset to factory default, if possible.
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset

Otherwise, Google is your friend. Many threads over the years here and on Gearspace. Look for 828 problems. This will not be specific to the Mk3. My feeling is that you may find power supply issues such as expanding capacitors.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Motu 828 MkIII firewire malfunction

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Thanks, Mike! I am unable to reset to factory default, but I like your idea of looking for swollen power supply capacitors...

Doug