Control Surface

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
ejv
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Control Surface

Post by ejv »

I am just curious to know what control surface the DP community uses in their studio setup. I currently use a Mackie Control surface but would like to go a little higher end. I've looked at the Avid, Yamaha and SSL control surfaces but not sure if it's worth the investment. Thanks in advance, Ed
ejv

Re: Control Surface

Post by ejv »

thanks for your response. curious to know what control surface you are using, Ed
Michael Canavan

Control Surface

Post by Michael Canavan »

Control Surfaces in my case. I think you're talking about mixing control surfaces here.
I went from a Mackie to the Slate Raven, it's great, but it depends on how attached to hardware sliders you are.
Personally the fact that software instruments and FX for the most part can be controlled like hardware without a mouse, sold me on it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
FlikPat

Post by FlikPat »

I was in the same boat with a Mackie control but it was starting to shows signs of collapse. The SSL looked great but I don't think it integrates well with DP. When DP 11 came out and kind of "designated" the ICON line as their de-facto control surfaces, I was sold. I've had it for about a year and really like it. Very similar to the Mackie (uses same protocol) but the faders are more precise and it doesn't freak out like the Mackie would. Still getting used to the smaller/softer transport controls but I'm very happy with it overall.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Control Surface

Post by James Steele »

I’m using a Euphonix MC Control v2 (essentially a brighter touch screen) and MC Mix with the latest Avid firmware and software and it works well with DP. There were many improvements made to Eucon support in DP 11. It is working great with my Mac Studio running Monterey 12.5.1.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I’ll add that my total outlay for this combo was $600 on the used market. Only downside is the form factor is rather large compared to the new units.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!