8a as audio interface for two devices (mac and iPhone) simultaneously?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
mariuste86
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

8a as audio interface for two devices (mac and iPhone) simultaneously?

Post by mariuste86 »

Hello

I will first start by saying that I have read the manual, but still a bit confused, need some clarification. As the title says. I am interested in the possibility, if there is one, to connect both a Macbook Pro and an Iphone to the 8A, acting as audio interface, for both devices, at the same time? I am not attempting to stream audio from both devices simultaneously, but if they possibly can stay connected to the 8A at the same time. Meaning TB/usb or TB/ethernet.

1. For connecting the Iphone to the 8A, usb is out of question, if mac is connected at the same time through thunderbolt? Correct me if I am wrong.

2. Which leaves me with the avb ethernet port.. which does not support audio for iOS, or does it? From the manual I understand two Macs could in theory work if one is on the avb ethernet port, the other TB?

The reason I am asking the mac/iPhone combination is, I use the iPhone for streaming Tidal in the studio atm, because the wifi connection on my Macbook Pro doesn't seem up for the task anymore. Macbook Pro and iPhone are on the same network. Before I have also had an M2 connected to my iphone for this purpose (lightning to usb adapter and active usb hub), while 8A connected to mac. Audio routing went from there to a monitor controller to different sets of speakers, so I could rapidly switch sources between Tidal music and studio work. So looking into simplifying things now, since my MC is failing..and would be less clutter with cabling, different interfaces etc, if some how this could work.

Marius
mariuste86
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: 8a as audio interface for two devices (mac and iPhone) simultaneously?

Post by mariuste86 »

Okay. So there is no way around this than to add a second AVB interface to this setup, I presume.