Two MIDI Express 128 cause Cubase to freeze on exit

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
ColdSteel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Two MIDI Express 128 cause Cubase to freeze on exit

Post by ColdSteel »

Hey guys,
I'm running into a weird problem on my new studio PC (Win11) which I didn't have on my old machine (Win10). I'm using two MIDI Express 128 which worked fine so far but now I have the problem that in 50% of the cases when I exit Cubase Pro (12 or 11, doesn't matter), the software freezes. As soon as I unplug one of the MIDI interfaces, Cubase magically closes itself just fine. With just MIDI Express A connected to the PC - no problem at all. With just MIDI Express B connected to the PC - no problem at all. I'm using MOTU's latest driver and tried different combinations of USB ports but it's always the same result.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
theMidiTamer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Two MIDI Express 128 cause Cubase to freeze on exit

Post by theMidiTamer »

Glad that someone else noticed the same issue! I ended up keeping the unit disconnected when I don't use the external instruments that are connected via MIDI.

I bet it has something to do with drivers / USB management of the device on modern computers. Drivers are outdated and I suspect the MIDI express 128 is not working well with USB3 ports / cables, in fact I reported other issues here: viewtopic.php?t=70184