Preamp vs DI box vs LLS for MOTU M4 line-level input

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Eccentricity
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Preamp vs DI box vs LLS for MOTU M4 line-level input

Post by Eccentricity »

I have a MOTU M2, but I'm considering upgrading to a MOTU M4 for the additional rear input.

However, inputs 3/4 on the M4 do not have a +4/-10 selector switch, so unless the device has a strong enough line level signal, things will end up quiet.

What hardware should I ideally use to get a clear, audible signal from game consoles, handheld audio players, or other low signal level devices? I know of three options;
  1. Preamp (how do I ensure I get a "pure" preamp, and not a turntable preamp, so I avoid the RIAA curve?)
  2. Line level shifter (such as the passive Morley/EBTECH LLS-2-XLR)
  3. DI box (passive/active? or is this not quite what I want?)
Which of the above options is the best? Or if there's a better solution than the above options please suggest it!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Preamp vs DI box vs LLS for MOTU M4 line-level input

Post by mikehalloran »

Preamp (how do I ensure I get a "pure" preamp, and not a turntable preamp, so I avoid the RIAA curve?)
Don't buy a phono preamp. Read the specs and this is easily avoided.
Line level shifter (such as the passive Morley/EBTECH LLS-2-XLR)
I have a few older units without the XLR jacks parallel to the TRS— electrically the same, otherwise. I use XLR–TRS cables instead. Dead quiet with excellent frequency response but may or may not provide the amount of gain you need. Hot enough for my Yamaha keyboards but sometimes, I get tracks on cassette and have to run my iPad in. I should sell mine since I no longer use them.
DI box (passive/active? or is this not quite what I want?)
If the LLS-2 doesn't do it for you, Active is the correct answer.

I use a Radial J+4 nowadays. It even has a 1/8" TRS input for my iPad in addition to TRS & RCA.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... vel-driver

You would use XLR to TRS cables or adapters to go into into an M4.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Eccentricity
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Eccentricity »

Thanks for the advice!

Based on your reply, are all three possibilities I presented valid options? If they are, is there one I should prioritize?

I appreciate that the line level shifter is passive, but should I focus on a preamp or active DI box to ensure I have enough gain in all situations?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond; audio production and mixing is still new to me.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think a pre-amp or a small mixer would give you the best options & results (for the money). A little Yamaha, Soundcraft, or Mackie mixer will give you clean gain and may add some useful EQ option.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Based on your reply, are all three possibilities I presented valid options?
Only if you have a turntable that requires an RIAA preamp. Otherwise, you don't want one. Most phono pres output -10 so those go into an LLS or J+4 anyway (there are a few with true Line level outs, however).

Otherwise, it depends what is going into those Line Ins. Some keyboards have true Line level outs — those don't need anything. Most keyboards work with the LLS-2. Everything except microphones works with the J+4 and, if you need an RIAA phono pre, you'd plug it into the J+4, also.

If you have a multiple units to plug in (one at a time), the active J+4 is a no brainer. In addition to being active, it has an input level pot, a 100Hz high pass filter & ground lift switches on the side.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro