ADR streamer/punch question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ADR streamer/punch question

Post by wonder »

I'm doing an ADR session next week.

I have my video file and set a marker with a 3 second streamer leading to a punch where the ADR line will start.

Is it common practice to also set an "out" point? As in, "these lines need to end by this point".

Or does one just mark where the start is and record takes until it's right?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: ADR streamer/punch question

Post by mikehalloran »

Auto punch-in/out is so easy in DP. Since the underlying audio is not overwritten, I normally set the punch-out point well after it’s necessary unless…

If the punch-out point must hit a certain mark, then set it there. If the actor tends to dawdle on the last syllable, this fixes that in a hurry and forces the actor to hit the mark. It all depends on the scene but again, DP makes it so easy and ou can try it both ways.

On a related note, I made a house call to teach a buddy how to do Auto punch-in/out in Performer Lite last week. Following the manual, he just couldn’t figure it out. Sheesh! It would have gone much faster if the PL manual hadn’t incorrectly stated the location of the enable button—or included a graphic on the page so he could see what it looked like. Of course, once you find it, the functionality is the same as DP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro