Will users get SOAKED by developers for M1 native versions?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Will users get SOAKED by developers for M1 native versions?

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:40 pm In making the Pre-Order Announcement, IK conveniently neglected to mention the CS/MODO Bass 1 compatibility. Clearly, it is not something they are advertising broadly.
I sure missed it. The upgrade notice was a bit vague all round. I downloaded then deleted the free V2, not seeing much in it. With this news, I might give it another go.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:26 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:42 pmAltiverb 7 came out ten years ago. :shock: I would bet it's a paid upgrade, since it's overdue. I own Speakerphone 2 as well, and I would love a native Apple Silicon version. I think it's been out almost as long.
Wow!! I had NO idea it had been THAT long since Altiverb 7 was released! I remember that I limped along for quite some time running Altiverb 6 with 32 Lives and finally popped for the upgrade. After 10 years, I hope whoever coded it is still available to update it, or that it was documented really well. I'm not saying it will happen here, but I wonder how many plug-ins just may not make the jump?
Just guesses, but there are certain iZotope and NI plug ins that don't have much of a chance. I would hazard that Absynth, FM8 and Massive do not get Apple silicon support. IMO Absynth is almost a guarantee because the guy that developed it single handedly is now running a company called Rhisomatic that has a product called Plasmonic that does a lot of what was cool about Absynth, plus it's MPE and Apple silicon compatible. iZotope have a web page documenting what will be updated, and you will notice some of the reverbs that came with their suite are not included. Breaktweaker, Trash 2 etc.Pretty much anything not ready in 2022 is suspect.
https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/ar ... le-silicon?
Nomad Factory is a long shot, Same with Air plug ins, which is a shame, I think Loom II is a great synth. Sometimes it's seeming that the smaller companies are having an easier time with it, which is not what I would expect at all.

Basically any company that did not update and keep their graphic library to Apples strict standards are having a rough time of it. NI employees admitted some of their libraries are from 15 years ago, so they're stuck rewriting it all from scratch. It's their own dammed fault though, Arturia updated their plug ins for resizable windows and VST3 support years ago, and it paid off in easy transition to Apple Silicon. It's probably why Pro Tools isn't AS compatible yet either, every other DAW I know of on Mac OS is.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:03 am
HCMarkus wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 pmAs for NI, thank goodness Kontak 6 is AS-Native. It is the only NI plugin that is.
I wonder if Komplete Kontrol is? I'm not in the studio so don't feel like firing it up right now to check. I would think that would be a priority... however I imagine since it's a shell type thing, if you load a non-native VST into Komplete Kontrol then it would need Rosetta 2. Hmmm...
From the guy whose hosting the Apple Silicon Native plug ins website:
Komplete Kontrol 2.8.0 with native M1 support, and VST3 hosting has been released to their beta community.
So it's coming soon.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:05 pmFrom the guy whose hosting the Apple Silicon Native plug ins website:
Komplete Kontrol 2.8.0 with native M1 support, and VST3 hosting has been released to their beta community.
So it's coming soon.
Nice. It makes sense that they would prioritize this one.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Will users get SOAKED by developers for M1 native versions?

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:41 am Nomad Factory is a long shot...
Yes, that's too bad. Many years ago, Bernie Torelli (RIP) came out to one of our annual MOTUnation/MOTU-MAC NAMM dinners. Sweet guy. He was the owner/main coder of the Nomad Factory plugs as I recall. I was very fortunate that he very generously gave me a NFS license to the full line of Nomad Factory and Plug & Mix plug in. Some really cool plug-ins. Off the top of my head MAGNETIC II, ECHOES, Blue Tube series... including Analog TrackBox... it will be a shame to see those not make the jump.

I'm curious as to how long (based on past events) Apple will keep Rosetta 2 part of MacOS, before they cut it out. I'm making a big deal in my own mind about eliminating non Apple Silicon plugs, but I suppose I could let some of them hang on for a while. I imagine DP will run fine since you don't have to make DP itself run in Rosetta 2 to use plugs that require Rosetta 2, yes? Would be an interesting experiment to see if all native AS improves Bounce to Disk times.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:43 pm Off the top of my head MAGNETIC II, ECHOES, Blue Tube series... including Analog TrackBox... it will be a shame to see those not make the jump.
Agreed. I have Magnetic II and Analog Trackbox and like them. Plugivery has taken over that brand, and they do have developers working on stuff, but they seem mostly to refer to new things.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com