Wow! This is awesome! (PlugInfo)

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wow! This is awesome! (PlugInfo)

Post by cuttime »

It found Intel 32 bit crap that I didn't even know I had.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pluginfo/ ... 2949?mt=12
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Wow! This is awesome! (PlugInfo)

Post by James Steele »

Excellent share. On cursory read of the description on the link, this looks like a very useful utility! I'm looking to go Mac Studio M1 Max in the next two months. Knock on Apple Silicon! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Tremendous find! Thank you!

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Nice, that will be handy when moving over to the new Mac
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Just a reminder that this is not just for M1 Mac use. It found some Power PC plugs that I still had on my Intel machine. It cleared out about 4gigs of junk on my system drive. I was lazy and have been using Migration Assistant over the years in the hope that my licenses and authorizations would transfer. A few did, but most did not. I spent days re-authorizing stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:13 pm Just a reminder that this is not just for M1 Mac use. It found some Power PC plugs that I still had on my Intel machine. It cleared out about 4gigs of junk on my system drive. I was lazy and have been using Migration Assistant over the years in the hope that my licenses and authorizations would transfer. A few did, but most did not. I spent days re-authorizing stuff.
I just today pulled the trigger on an M1 Max Mac Studio. 64GB RAM and 2TB internal drive. I have SO MUCH CRAP in my current boot drive in my 12-core that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do a clean install. I probably have a couple decades worth junk on the boot drive from using Migration Assistant over and over. Gonna be a rough few days I imagine, but it just HAS to be done at this point.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Cool! Congratulations! You won’t regret it. Did you get a delivery date? I got mine from B&H Photo. At first they told me it could be 8 weeks, but after a single day they told me it shipped. They had the model I wanted when the Apple Store did not! Go figure.

Mine was from Malaysia. Apparently the on-again-off-again lockdowns in China are having a big impact with supply chains.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:56 pm
cuttime wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:13 pm Just a reminder that this is not just for M1 Mac use. It found some Power PC plugs that I still had on my Intel machine. It cleared out about 4gigs of junk on my system drive. I was lazy and have been using Migration Assistant over the years in the hope that my licenses and authorizations would transfer. A few did, but most did not. I spent days re-authorizing stuff.
I just today pulled the trigger on an M1 Max Mac Studio. 64GB RAM and 2TB internal drive. I have SO MUCH CRAP in my current boot drive in my 12-core that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do a clean install. I probably have a couple decades worth junk on the boot drive from using Migration Assistant over and over. Gonna be a rough few days I imagine, but it just HAS to be done at this point.
I have to say I regret doing it, but there is the off chance that Migration Assistant would mess something up and I would be left with some legacy code etc. so I did a clean instal. It just takes for freaking ever to get things back to "normal" when you have 20 years worth of plug ins. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 pmIt just takes for freaking ever to get things back to "normal" when you have 20 years worth of plug ins.
Last time I did this, it took a few days work over three weeks. I tried Migration Assistant, but it simply didn’t work — would start but never finish. Perhaps its not set to work with a lot of very old stuff on the original startup disk. A lot of the time was messages to and from tech support at various plugin companies. It all worked in the end, but was a huge PITA and I’d rather not do it again.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

bayswater wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:45 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 pmIt just takes for freaking ever to get things back to "normal" when you have 20 years worth of plug ins.
Last time I did this, it took a few days work over three weeks. I tried Migration Assistant, but it simply didn’t work — would start but never finish. Perhaps its not set to work with a lot of very old stuff on the original startup disk. A lot of the time was messages to and from tech support at various plugin companies. It all worked in the end, but was a huge PITA and I’d rather not do it again.
Yep, I have 456 AU's in Components and 356 VSTs in the Audio folder.
Plus 294 odd applications etc. etc. I still do not have that amount on the M1 Air here, but I'm running it mostly native, leaving the main Rosseta heavy songs on the Mac Pro. Still, in a different scenario I would run Migration Assistant and get some amount of those old songs running.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:07 pm Cool! Congratulations! You won’t regret it. Did you get a delivery date? I got mine from B&H Photo. At first they told me it could be 8 weeks, but after a single day they told me it shipped. They had the model I wanted when the Apple Store did not! Go figure.
If only I were that fortunate. My delivery date is 8/24. But I guess I can do some things in the meantime. The upcharge to go from a 2TB internal to a 4TB internal was $600. So I'm going to save $200 and spend a little bit less than $400 to get a TB enclosure and 2TB NVMe drive which will be capable of speeds as fast as the internal drive. Here's a good YouTube video that gave me the idea:

I plan to make two volumes out of the internal 2TB drive: one for the OS and apps and DP Projects will go on the other.

The external drive will be for sample libraries.

The enclosure I plan on getting supports USB3 or Thunderbolt, so I could actually buy it now and connect it to my MacPro via USB3 (I have a USB 3 card installed in my MacPro) and then copy my Sample Libraries disk over to it and then start working off that until the Mac Studio arrives, at which point I'll just connect it via TB.

Also planning to get a MOTU 828es and I could actually do the same thing... get it set up connected to my MacPro via USB, then connect it via Thunderbolt when I get the Mac Studio.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:45 pm
I'm with you. The plan is that I'm going to not need to upgrade from the Mac Studio for several years. So it will be painful... but it should be a LONG time before I have to think about that again. I'm actually planning on pretty much having both my old MacPro5,1 and the Mac Studio pretty much side-by-side for a while so as I discover something that doesn't work on the Mac Studio, I can hunt around for necessary files on the MacPro5,1.

Also, don't know what I'm going to do about Photos. Almost don't want that on my studio mac at all. Leave it on my iPhone and my office Mac. I know the Photos can all be in the cloud, but have thousands of photos and I don't like the idea of it taking up space.

Lastly, I have really give a tip of the hat and bit fond farewell to the venerable "Cheesegrater" MacPros. They are nearing the end of their run, but what a testament to their design and engineering that these machines have been and still continue to be viable tolls so many years later! It's the end of an era, but what wonderful machines they were and are still. Heck... I'm on mine right now. They really deserve some sort of all time great computer award.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for posting this here Cuttime. Spent the entire $2.99 Lady Gaia charges at the App Store.

Works great, less filling.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31