DP 11.11 and latest Softube plugins update issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sonus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 11.11 and latest Softube plugins update issue

Post by sonus »

Hi to everyone!
Is anyone else having a problem using the latest (July 2022) Softube plugin updates with DP 11.11?
A couple of days ago, I updated all my Softube plugins, including the Console 1 via the Softube Central app and from then on, whenever I try to insert any of their plugins the whole system (not only DP) crashes. I get the beach ball and the system freezes to the point that the only solution I have, is to turn off the computer.
I'm on a 2011 Mac Pro running High Sierra and I use the VST3 version of the Softube plugins, necessary for having full console-1 integration with DP.
Everything was working fine with the previous Softube version and DP 11.11
I'm about to get in contact with Softube (and MOTU eventually) but I thought of writng here first, just in case someone has had the same problem or has an idea on what the issue might be.
Thanks!
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 twelve core, 64Gig, OSX 10.15, Mac Studio Max 32Gig, DP11.13, RME HDSPe FX, Softube Console 1 & Fader, UAD-2 quad, Soundtoys v5, UVI Falcon 3.0, GForce Mellotron & String Machine , Waves Rennaissance...
npj

Re: DP 11.11 and latest Softube plugins update issue

Post by npj »

Same versions here but with Monterey. I mostly use the AU version. I've tested the VST3 version many times but don't think I've seen a crash when adding the plugin - definitely no full system stopping crashes. I thought maybe Sierra wasn't supported but I see that it is. Weird.

Probably not related... but both versions of the plugin are incompatible with the new virtual instrument tracks which really sucks. I get all sorts of track ordering bugs inside the OSD when moving/enabling/disabling Console 1's in DP. Makes it unusable. I really hope they fix it since it's stopping me from using the new VI tracks.

The other odd thing is that Softube don't make any official mention on their site about DP and the VST3. I've been using the AU for years since that what they've always recommended that with DP... but now the VST3 has more of Console 1's features... Which I'd love to use but I often open older projects and have a bunch of templates and channel presets that use the AU plugin... I could start using the VST3 but then multiple times a day be switching the OSD from AU mode back to VST3 mode (you have to hit OK in the hardware to make it switch modes)... A little thing but super annoying... I just wish they chose one plugin and both stuck with it. Odd that they started with AU and are now transitioning to the VST3... It's not like the plugin formats/capabilities have changed... Sigh... Sorry for the rant... It bothers me.

I've emailed MOTU about both of those things but gotten no response. :|
sonus

Post by sonus »

I found this in Softube's support page which also probably explains why this is not an issue with Monterey:
We have received user reports that some Softube plug-ins are crashing in various DAWs on macOS 10.13. We're investigating the cause and will update this article as soon as we have news to share.

In the meantime, a possible workaround is to disable Metal (the graphics accelerator turned on by default) graphics. To do that, please follow the steps below:

1. Make sure your DAW is not running.
2. In Finder, click the “Go” menu in the menu bar.
3. From the “Go” menu, navigate down to “Go to Folder”.
4. Go to the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Softube/
(please copy and paste this link so you don't miss the ~ sign!)
5. Open the “Softube Global Settings.txt” file and delete the content.
6. Paste the text below into the .txt file and save.

{
“AssetType”: “SoftubePreferencesFile”,
“FileFormatVersion”: 1,
“Preferences”:
{
“ENABLE_Metal”: false,
“USE_Metal_FOR_OSD”: false }
}
I haven't tried it yet, I'll report back when I will.
MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 twelve core, 64Gig, OSX 10.15, Mac Studio Max 32Gig, DP11.13, RME HDSPe FX, Softube Console 1 & Fader, UAD-2 quad, Soundtoys v5, UVI Falcon 3.0, GForce Mellotron & String Machine , Waves Rennaissance...
sonus

Post by sonus »

npj wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 am Same versions here but with Monterey. I mostly use the AU version. I've tested the VST3 version many times but don't think I've seen a crash when adding the plugin - definitely no full system stopping crashes. I thought maybe Sierra wasn't supported but I see that it is. Weird.

Probably not related... but both versions of the plugin are incompatible with the new virtual instrument tracks which really sucks. I get all sorts of track ordering bugs inside the OSD when moving/enabling/disabling Console 1's in DP. Makes it unusable. I really hope they fix it since it's stopping me from using the new VI tracks.

The other odd thing is that Softube don't make any official mention on their site about DP and the VST3. I've been using the AU for years since that what they've always recommended that with DP... but now the VST3 has more of Console 1's features... Which I'd love to use but I often open older projects and have a bunch of templates and channel presets that use the AU plugin... I could start using the VST3 but then multiple times a day be switching the OSD from AU mode back to VST3 mode (you have to hit OK in the hardware to make it switch modes)... A little thing but super annoying... I just wish they chose one plugin and both stuck with it. Odd that they started with AU and are now transitioning to the VST3... It's not like the plugin formats/capabilities have changed... Sigh... Sorry for the rant... It bothers me.

I've emailed MOTU about both of those things but gotten no response. :|
I was also using the AU version of the console 1 plugin at first but then I read somewhere that the VST3 is the way to go if you want full integration with most of the DAWS, including DP. That's what I did and things worked fine so far until their last plugin update.
I believe that since you are in DP11 (the integration with Console 1 has been improved in the latest DP update) VST3 is the only choice, as everything works as it should with console 1 this way. The only thing that is not implemented in DP11 regarding the Softube console yet, is the automatic transfer of the track color from DP to console 1.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sonus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 amThe only thing that is not implemented in DP11 regarding the Softube console yet, is the automatic transfer of the track color from DP to console 1.
Where would the track color from DP appear? In one of the OSD views? Would be nice if MOTU could implement this.

I had a little strangeness since the last Console 1 software update. Now it seems whenever I boot my studio Mac, the OSD window pops up and a small notice appears that says "Console 1: Authenticating hardware... please stand by" or something similar to that. It disappears after a couple of seconds. Never seen that before.

Other than that, Console 1 seems to be working fine for me in DP 11.11, however I'm running Mojave 10.14.6, so perhaps that's why?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
npj

Post by npj »

sonus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 am I was also using the AU version of the console 1 plugin at first but then I read somewhere that the VST3 is the way to go if you want full integration with most of the DAWS, including DP.
Yeah I read about VST3 getting better support too... but still... Softube lists the AU as the version to use with DP - https://www.softube.com/support/faq-con ... e1dawchart
sonus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 am I believe that since you are in DP11 (the integration with Console 1 has been improved in the latest DP update) VST3 is the only choice, as everything works as it should with console 1 this way.
I often work with projects created years ago (using the AU) and there's no easy way to 'swap' those over to VST3... Like I explained earlier, switching over to the VST3 would create friction for me... Even with more features I'm not sure it's worth it.
sonus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 am The only thing that is not implemented in DP11 regarding the Softube console yet, is the automatic transfer of the track color from DP to console 1.
Yeah, seems like either Softube or MOTU still has work to do there...
npj

Post by npj »

Is anybody using Console 1 (AU or VST3) with the new VI tracks? When I do I get big track ordering bugs in the OCD....

And something I forgot to mention before - after loading a handful of Console 1's onto VI tracks - Each track takes up *two* tracks on the OSD. It's as if Console 1 is seeing an audio track and then a MIDI track. Each C1 in the OSD will have an extra 'empty' track after it. For eg, 5 x C1's on DP's VI tracks will take up 10 tracks in the OSD. Not good. :?

Then if you start re-ordering them... Thinks get real wacky...

This happens with both the AU and VST3 for me. Wondering if any one else is seeing this.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

npj wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:04 pm
sonus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:41 am I was also using the AU version of the console 1 plugin at first but then I read somewhere that the VST3 is the way to go if you want full integration with most of the DAWS, including DP.
Yeah I read about VST3 getting better support too... but still... Softube lists the AU as the version to use with DP - https://www.softube.com/support/faq-con ... e1dawchart
I don't know what to tell you. I think that Softube needs to update that chart. I'm using Console 1 VST3 with DP 11.11 without issues in Mojave (10.14.6) and you get access to all the extended features, except apparently track color. It's working great here, so I don't see a reason to intentionally hobble the Console 1 functionality. Like I said, I think that chart is outdated.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

npj wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:05 pm Is anybody using Console 1 (AU or VST3) with the new VI tracks? When I do I get big track ordering bugs in the OCD....

And something I forgot to mention before - after loading a handful of Console 1's onto VI tracks - Each track takes up *two* tracks on the OSD. It's as if Console 1 is seeing an audio track and then a MIDI track. Each C1 in the OSD will have an extra 'empty' track after it. For eg, 5 x C1's on DP's VI tracks will take up 10 tracks in the OSD. Not good. :?

This happens with both the AU and VST3 for me. Wondering if any one else is seeing this.
I'll have to investigate that one. I know I only use the individual plug view on the OSD. I don't use the overview that shows multiple tracks.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

npj wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:05 pm Is anybody using Console 1 (AU or VST3) with the new VI tracks? When I do I get big track ordering bugs in the OCD....

I hate to be *that guy* but I just created a new project and added three new VI tracks... then added an instance of Console 1 to the next insert following the VI on each of the VI tracks. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. In all the modes of the OSD I see just three tracks. I also re-order tracks with no ill effects whatsoever. Again, I'm on a MacPro5,1 running Mojave. DP 11.11 and latest version of the Console 1 software. I *am* using the VST3 version of Console 1, for whatever that's worth. Did you run Console 1 updater recently and have the most recent version installed?

I don't know if you're using Tapatalk to access this board, but if you use a computer and web browser you'll see that a lot of us put our system info in our sigs. I'll scroll back but I'm not sure what hardware and OS version you're running. Maybe this is an OS-specific issue? Okay... I see you're on Monterey. Are you running an M1 Mac? Maybe that has something to do with it.

npj

Post by npj »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:46 pm I'll have to investigate that one. I know I only use the individual plug view on the OSD. I don't use the overview that shows multiple tracks.
I guess I didn't explain it well.. I just meant the tracks 1-20 that get listed along the bottom of the OSD.
James Steele wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:02 pm I hate to be *that guy* but I just created a new project and added three new VI tracks... then added an instance of Console 1 to the next insert following the VI on each of the VI tracks. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. In all the modes of the OSD I see just three tracks. I also re-order tracks with no ill effects whatsoever. Again, I'm on a MacPro5,1 running Mojave. DP 11.11 and latest version of the Console 1 software. I *am* using the VST3 version of Console 1, for whatever that's worth. Did you run Console 1 updater recently and have the most recent version installed?
My apologies - this bug only happens with the AU version - when used with the new combined VI+MIDI tracks. The old VI (audio only) tracks still work fine with the AU.

I'm running the latest versions of Console 1 and DP... and on Monterey yeah.

I'd switch to the VST3 but as I explained earlier, it's going to introduce some friction for me... Not sure it's worth it... But if the AU version is going to slowly get more and more buggy I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point.

I just don't want to be hitting the 'OK' button on the hardware multiple times a day when switching between projects that use the AU or VST3... Sigh.
James Steele wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:02 pm a lot of us put our system info in our sigs.
Thanks for the tip. Added.
sonus

Post by sonus »

As I said, when I first got the Console 1 I was using the AU version too but after reading about it somewhere, I switched to the VST3 version and the integration with DP, as well as the general stability was significantly improved. Besides, as far as I see, Softube's support page hasn't been updated since DP11, with much improved control surface enhancements, was released
I often work with projects created years ago (using the AU) and there's no easy way to 'swap' those over to VST3... Like I explained earlier, switching over to the VST3 would create friction for me... Even with more features I'm not sure it's worth it.
I believe it's worth it. Sooner or later you'll have to do the switch, so the sooner the better, I believe. It will be less work for you. :wink:
sonus

Post by sonus »

Where would the track color from DP appear? In one of the OSD views? Would be nice if MOTU could implement this.
As far as I see in pictures showing console 1 within other daws, the track colors appear at the bottom of the OSD where the track number and name is. Would be nice to have it in DP as well!
I had a little strangeness since the last Console 1 software update. Now it seems whenever I boot my studio Mac, the OSD window pops up and a small notice appears that says "Console 1: Authenticating hardware... please stand by" or something similar to that. It disappears after a couple of seconds. Never seen that before.
It seems as if MOTU needs to catch up with Softube in their next update!
Other than that, Console 1 seems to be working fine for me in DP 11.11, however I'm running Mojave 10.14.6, so perhaps that's why?
Definitely. According to the Softube's support quote in my previous post, there is some kind of incompatibility with High Sierra only. Should work fine with all other OSX systems.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sonus wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:59 pm
As far as I see in pictures showing console 1 within other daws, the track colors appear at the bottom of the OSD where the track number and name is. Would be nice to have it in DP as well!
I managed to reach out to someone at MOTU, and it seems they think everything is behaving as it should on their end and Softube might have to work something out. I also know another guy with connections at Softube who told me that sometimes there are DAW-specific idiosyncrasies that have to ironed out. It's not necessarily indicative of a DAW developer dropping the ball, but due to some of the vagaries of plug-in standards. But I know that MOTU is aware of it and people are on the case. I'd love to have the color support as it would help me find a track more quickly on the OSD.

It seems as if MOTU needs to catch up with Softube in their next update!
I actually don't think this is a MOTU issue. Softube pushed out an update recently to the Console 1 software and it started after that. My gut feeling is Softube either added this, or made something that had always happened in the background more transparent to the user by including the notification when OSD first starts up.

Definitely. According to the Softube's support quote in my previous post, there is some kind of incompatibility with High Sierra only. Should work fine with all other OSX systems.
Right. Well that's in between a rock and a hard place then. You'd be hard pressed to get any developer to spend any resources to fix something that only affects an OS that old. I'm in a bit of a quandary myself on Mojave. Turns out in DP 11, there are reports of GUI sluggishness if you have the Movie Window open on Intel MacPros running Mojave. Doesn't happen in OSes older or newer. In theory, I could jump through hoops and hack my MacPro5,1 12-core into running Catalina and fix the problem (which I've experienced myself) but I'm a few months away from pulling the trigger on a Mac Studio and mothballing my trusty cheesegrater... so why bother. It's going to be enough of a PITA doing a clean install on the Mac Studio and reinstalling all my plug-ins as well as making sure they can link to the sound libraries, etc. That's a daunting thought, and I've decided I'm going to run both machines side by side for a few days bouncing back and forth and troubleshooting and copying files, etc. until the Mac Studio is functionally equivalent to MacPro5,1... just faster.

npj

Post by npj »

sonus wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:54 pm I believe it's worth it. Sooner or later you'll have to do the switch, so the sooner the better, I believe. It will be less work for you. :wink:
Yeah you're probably right... And this discovery below pushes me even closer...
npj wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:11 am I could start using the VST3 but then multiple times a day be switching the OSD from AU mode back to VST3 mode (you have to hit OK in the hardware to make it switch modes)... A little thing but super annoying...
I just found a setting inside Console 1's OSD that stops this from happening! It's in the OSD Settings > Alert Notifications > Alert DAW Features > (and I've changed it to) Never.

Now I don't need to hit the OK button on the C1 hardware when switching between AU / VST3 projects. 😎

(Sorry for going kind off topic.. Just thought I'd mention as fellow C1 users are here)