DP 11.11 released

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.11 released

Post by philbrown »

This was the worst update in years for me. I opened a new blank project, brought in one mono audio track and 90% of plug-ins I instantiated would vaporize DP with no crash report, no beachball, just instant POOF. Went back to 11.4. No further comment... lol
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

mhschmieder wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 pm Less crash-prone than before, and I'd say also better able to handle a gazillion plug-ins enabled at once, including heavy lifters.
Same here. Working splendidly while mixing on my mojave hackintosh. I've been pounding on it with no prob. Sorry others are having issues.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

AFAIK, this MOTU crash report disabler still works.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61800&p=525976&hili ... pt#p525976
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

cuttime wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:47 pm AFAIK, this MOTU crash report disabler still works.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61800&p=525976&hili ... pt#p525976
I read through that thread - it's old and mostly about disabling the crash reporter. Can anyone tell me where MOTU's crash reports are currently located? DP is just going POOF and disappearing with no error or anything else -is there a different name for that? IOW, what I'm getting is not a system lockup, it's not an error message, it's not an Apple report and it's not a spinning beach ball. I'm on a newer iMac on Monterey and I'm concerned and want to find out why I'm having this issue when others aren't.

TIA,
Phil
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

This update working beautifully on my two systems, both with OSX High Sierra.

2009 MacPro (5,1) and 2015 MacBook Pro.

No problems to report. Using lots of Waves vers. 11 plugs, some SoundToys plugs, VEP7 (on same computer), and more.

I never use humongous orchestral templates, but do have to use orchestra libraries alongside synths and real audio.

And, the Movie 'Bounce to Disk' is fantastic these days. Better than ever.

Congrats to MOTU for over 25 years of always being able to count on DP!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

The new release work perfect in all ways with my Apple Studio Max, MOTU 1248 and the old MTP AV :D
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Killahurts wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:33 am
bayswater wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:25 pm
Killahurts wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:56 am This release didn't fix the issue with not being able to edit continuous cc in the MIDI editor with the pencil tool (if the cc data was input from a MIDI channel other than channel 1). The MOTU techs were able to acknowledge and reproduce it, but I guess there wasn't time to fix it in this release.

The best workaround is still to export the affected tracks as a MIDI file, and re-import/replace them. Then the pencil works normally.
I’ve read this and the earlier comments a few times, but I’m confused. Looks like DP can’t deal with MIDI date it generated, but if you export and import it, somehow, that turns it into data it can deal with. I guess that’s good for this particular workaround but seems to me if DP export and imports data, the result should be identical. If it didn’t work before the export/import, it shouldn’t work after. And vicey voo. No?
I know, it's hard to explain.. DP11 (I think) introduced multi-channel MIDI recording on a single track. But you can't edit the CC data that was recorded from any channel except channel 1.

e.g. If I record cc11 data from channel 2 of a MIDI controller interface into a MIDI track, when I go to edit the cc data in the MIDI editor, I can see it, but any attempt to edit it creates another cc11 "ghost" stream on channel 1, and that is the only one you can edit. There is no way to get into this internal channeling, to put the data where it belongs for editing. Exporting as MIDI file, then reimporting back apparently removes the DP channeling and puts the cc11 data onto a single-channel (standard) MIDI track, using channel 1 (where the notes would also be, if there were any). If I record cc data from channel 1 of the interface to begin with, I have no problems, but to record all 10 of my pedals at the same time, I have to input from different MIDI channels.
This is the same issue I would bet as MPE not recording on multiple channels and ignoring pitch bend etc. Hopefully we see an 11.111 soon. Considering MPE was a new feature I'm certain MOTU want to rectify this ASAP.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:39 am This is the same issue I would bet as MPE not recording on multiple channels and ignoring pitch bend etc. Hopefully we see an 11.111 soon. Considering MPE was a new feature I'm certain MOTU want to rectify this ASAP.
Yeah, you may be onto something there, good catch. I don't use MPE but I read the other thread about it, and it seems like the two issues could very well be related.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't use MPE (as yet). Happy to say, DP11.11 is working very nicely on my Mac Studio under Monterey 12.4.

Knock wood, I don't think it has crashed since I moved to 11.11.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

philbrown wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:29 pm This was the worst update in years for me. I opened a new blank project, brought in one mono audio track and 90% of plug-ins I instantiated would vaporize DP with no crash report, no beachball, just instant POOF. Went back to 11.4. No further comment... lol
When something like this happens, I would re-download the installer and run it again. Also, make sure you always download software updates with Safari. I have seen installers get corrupted by other browsers like Firefox. Companies don't always support or test all browsers, but they have to support Safari for Mac. I don't use Safari for most things, but I always use it for downloading software updates.

Babz
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Babz wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:41 am
philbrown wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:29 pm This was the worst update in years for me. I opened a new blank project, brought in one mono audio track and 90% of plug-ins I instantiated would vaporize DP with no crash report, no beachball, just instant POOF. Went back to 11.4. No further comment... lol
When something like this happens, I would re-download the installer and run it again. Also, make sure you always download software updates with Safari. I have seen installers get corrupted by other browsers like Firefox. Companies don't always support or test all browsers, but they have to support Safari for Mac. I don't use Safari for most things, but I always use it for downloading software updates.

Babz
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Worth pointing out that 11.11 or the OS corrupted DPs preferences, which meant that control surfaces were not responding correctly. So that might also be worth checking out, since it was the last thing I thought of here after exhausting all other possible solutions as to why transport controls etc. did not work on the Launchpad here.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

philbrown wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 amCan anyone tell me where MOTU's crash reports are currently located?
I don't know if you ever got an answer to this, but you can find the crash reports for DP at:

<Macintosh HD>/users/<username>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Look for a file with a name like this:
Digital Performer-2022-09-05-202025.ips

You can see from the last part of the file name that the crash occured on 9/5/22 at 8:20 (and 25 seconds) PM
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!