Drama at 2C Audio?!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drama at 2C Audio?!

Post by James Steele »

So I own some 2C Audio plugs, specifically the Aether and Breeze reverb plugs. Yesterday this arrives in my email in box:
Hello,

This is Denis from 2CAudio. I'm the creator, co-founder, lead developer and
principal contributor to 2CAudio.
I'm also the programmer behind more than 90% of all 2CAudio products and codebase.

I'd like to share with you some important developments regarding 2CAudio
and the products marketed under this brand name.

Effective immediately, I'm no longer able to provide technical support to you
and other 2CAudio users via official company channels.
I present you my apologies for that.

In fact, in late February 2022, Andrew Souter the other co-founder and contributor to 2CAudio,
decided unilaterally to restrain my access to the 2CAudio website and email server.
This is the reason, I'm writing to you from my personal email.

Long before that, Mr. Souter stopped sharing proceeds from the sales of the 2CAudio.
I had to retain an attorney and send an official Cease and Desist letter to Andrew Souter,
in which we demand him to discontinue selling and distributing immediately the following products:

AETHER
B2
KALEIDOSCOPE
BREEZE
PRECEDENCE
VECTOR

So far I have received no response. 2CAudio and Andrew Souter continue to sell and distribute online products
developed by myself, in violation of US copyrights legislation and my intellectual property rights.

I urge you not to purchase any updates of the above products,
as they might be based on my code and thus will be infringing my copyrights.

If you have any questions regarding the presented information or need a tech
support feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Denis
First I heard anything about any of this. I'm not taking sides at all here. Just interesting and unusual to say the least to get something like this in my email!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Re: Drama at 2C Audio?!

Post by Phil O »

Wow. It's a reminder that the companies we've invested in can go to crap in an instant and we're left holding the bag. I do some instrument repair (primarily flutes) and I got a similar email a few years back from the founder of a company that I used for supplies (corks, springs, pads, etc.). He allegedly was forced out of his own company by his business partner. Sh#@ happens.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Kind of reminds me of the drama between Sample Modeling and Audio Modeling a few years ago. It left a lot of customers confused and in limbo, but in the end I think everything was made right by the warring parties.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

We have now heard one side of this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:02 pm We have now heard one side of this.
Indeed.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:We have now heard one side of this.
Indeed. I’m not talking sides. Just sharing an interesting email I received. Perhaps Andrew will post a statement on social media somewhere? Surely he is aware of this by now.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:CAUTION! Enter at your own risk!:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... f#p8375475
Wow! Interesting. I guess this has been ongoing for some time. Looks like somehow Denis may have got hold of the customer email list and sent out emails like the one I got after KVR locked the topic.

Since the link you posted begins with Andrew’s statement, people can go there to read his side of the story and the discussion. I’ll close the topic here as well. Unfortunate situation. I’ll lock the topic here, too.