Mystery quickscribe one step of 1/8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tonx
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mystery quickscribe one step of 1/8

Post by tonx »

Hello
I can't use Quickscribe. I have read the instructions, but when I try to write the score of a simple 6/8 music with the mouse on the staff, Quickscribe always inserts me an extra 1/8 measure. Where am I wrong?
Maybe there is something to set in the setup?
Ps I am not interested in reproducing the melody with a MIDI keyboard and then making the printed sheet of the music. Copy small or parts of sheet music onto paper.
Sorry for my English, I use google translate.
Can anyone help me figure out where am I wrong?
(So win10 dp11 - Motu audio express)
mikehalloran

Re: Mystery quickscribe one step of 1/8

Post by mikehalloran »

tonx wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:26 am Hello
I can't use Quickscribe. I have read the instructions, but when I try to write the score of a simple 6/8 music with the mouse on the staff, Quickscribe always inserts me an extra 1/8 measure. Where am I wrong?
Maybe there is something to set in the setup?
Ps I am not interested in reproducing the melody with a MIDI keyboard and then making the printed sheet of the music. Copy small or parts of sheet music onto paper.
Sorry for my English, I use google translate.
Can anyone help me figure out where am I wrong?
(So win10 dp11 - Motu audio express)
Hi,

Unfortunately, without seeing the file, there is no way for any of us to know what is happening. A couple suggestions:

If you are using a supported version of DP, 10 or 11, open a TechLink at MOTU.com and let MOTU Support take a look.

Otherwise, export as MusicXML (DP 9 and later), then open in a notation app. If you don’t have one, MuseScore is free. From there, you can make corrections if necessary. You can export/import MIDI instead—earlier versions of DP do not support MusicXML export.

You might also see the problem which could be as simple as an unintended 1/8 rest.

A recommendation: You will see that most of us have our basic info in our signatures. This includes our system including hardware and OS version, as well as the build of DP that we are running. My reply would have been simpler if I knew that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Where does it insert the measure of 1/8? At the beginning? In the middle? Or at the end?

You can look in the Tracks Overview. Look at the Conductor Track, and see if there is an extra measure of 1/8.

Select the conductor track. Press SHIFT-E to open the event list. You should see 6/8 at measure 1|1|000. If there is another time-signature, delete it.

If that measure appears for no reason, there may be a problem with the project. You might need to begin with a new project.

It will be difficult, but perhaps you can make a list of the steps you are doing.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
tonx

Post by tonx »

Thanks for the answers.
Today I study the manual better and then I ask you some questions about quickscribe. Assuming that I do not want to use other programs such as Musescore, etc, but using only DP11 even if the use seems very difficult for me. :banghead:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I set up a 6/8 project for you in DP 11.1

It has a 6/8 meter event in the Conductor track with dotted-quarter as click, and a tempo event with dotted-quarter as beat. Attached.
SixEight Project.zip
6/8 "SixEight" project for tonx
(490.45 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

tonx

Post by tonx »

Hello
Fixed issue, working on a new project from scratch, with a larger screen to better see numbers, buttons and knobs.
Remade song (very simple) with MIDI keyboard.
Pauses are automatically reported on quickscribe. Can this automatic function be removed? That is, I would like to put the breaks in some places. But instead there is no pause box in the quicscribe tools.
Then another thing noted, the barline with the colon of the repetition of the piece does not show the colon. I thought that by inserting this symbol he would repeat the written-played part of the music automatically.
To correct or add notes or rests you have to work in MIDI editor with Event list (small numbers and long and cumbersome action).
Translating the manual of the quickscribe chapter not everything is clear.
Anyway, thank you for your availability. I'm going back to studying DP :D
tonx

Post by tonx »

I forgot, I have a hp notebook i7 ram 8gb processor, SO win 10 pro, DP11, moto audio express card, an old novation remote 25sl dinosaur ... and as a computing brain I use mine.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Your initial issue was fixed by re-doing your MIDI track. No surprises there.

Although QuickScribe has seen some improvement over the years, most recently in the DP 11.1.1 update, it has definite limitations. The user manual is your guide there. MOTU Support is usually the first to recommend exporting to MusicXML if QS won’t behave as you like. According to a few employees, that’s why it is there.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

tonx wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:17 am Pauses are automatically reported on quickscribe. Can this automatic function be removed? That is, I would like to put the breaks in some places. But instead there is no pause box in the quicscribe tools.
Google translate is making "rests" into "pauses". DP doesn't have rest tools. Those are added automatically, showing pauses between notes. If you click on any note to select it, you can change its length (duration) using the x|x|xxx duration setting (measures, beats, ticks). If you want to add breaks, you can go to the tracks overview and drag your sections of music around to create the spaces.

If you want to bring many measures of rests together into one group of rests, you can choose "SHOW ARRANGED SCORE" then select a measure and choose "CONSOLIDATED RESTS" then CONSOLIDATE
tonx wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:17 am Then another thing noted, the barline with the colon of the repetition of the piece does not show the colon.
Be sure to choose "SHOW ARRANGED SCORE", then choose the ARRANGEMENT PALETTE, and use both repeat bar symbols there. Mine shows the colon, so make sure you are choosing the tools that are on the top of that window (and not the ones in the second row).
tonx wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:17 am I thought that by inserting this symbol he would repeat the written-played part of the music automatically.
It does not work this way. Record the music as you want it to play back. Actually repeat the sections you want played more than once. Then, while you are in the SHOW ARRANGED SCORE view, you can use a combination of repeat symbols, numbered endings, and HIDE MEASURES to get the result you want.
tonx wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:17 am To correct or add notes or rests you have to work in MIDI editor with Event list (small numbers and long and cumbersome action).
Translating the manual of the quickscribe chapter not everything is clear.
I like to use the MIDI EDITOR (graphic editor, "piano roll") to change the music before I work in quickscribe. You can zoom in and have as big a view as you want.