Please recommend a great audio recorder for the field...

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
stanart
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Please recommend a great audio recorder for the field...

Post by stanart »

Zoom F6 is a pretty cool device. This is straight from the Website, but I will tell you I am not associated with Zoom but LOVE this device for this feature...

32-BIT FLOAT RECORDING -In the field, fluctuating dynamics can prove challenging. Loud sounds can cause clipping and quiet sounds can get lost in the noise. The F6 uses 32-bit float recording with dual A/D converters to capture both explosive and subtle sounds at full audio quality – without ever needing to adjust gain!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by monkey man »

I know there's very little of it in these things, but I heard years ago that the quality of the noise in the Zooms isn't as easy-on-the-ear as, say, the Tascams.

Someone cranked tracks of the two side-by-side and it was a no-brainer.

People care about such things but of course IMHO it's irrelevant in the real world.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Because of my handicap, I am very much into small, light and portable. 25 years ago, my “portable” rig barely fit onto a card table and I was happy that I got it down that small. That was then…

I bought a CENtrance MixerFace 3 in 2020 and got a pair of X/Y mics with it at a good introductory price.
https://centrance.com/mixerface/

It’s ok and sounds pretty good but the tiny little buttons and 4-level metering are less than satisfactory, especially being the one-armed guy. Nevertheless, I have a portable stand rig that has good acoustic isolation and it can take my iPhone 13 to record video if I want.

I’m looking at selling it and getting the Zoom F3 but wish that Zoom had plug-in mic modules for it like their lesser field recorders. Pre-pandemic, I did a lot of acoustic recording—choirs, chamber orchestras and the like. A good M+S mic would seal the deal for me and bring out my credit card. Unfortunately, this is not available. Yes, I can put a rig on top but it’s yet another thing that I must set up.

If I need multiple inputs, my M-Audio AIR gives me 6 into a laptop or iPad (or even my iPod Touch 7 if I wanted). I have a Zoom R24 for 8 Ins but that is rare. My old band is trying to muster the enthusiasm for a final album. If we do it, I’ll set up the R24 in one of the churches where I work and use that room. The mic pres aren’t great but I’ve got that covered. I could use mic pres with my 828mkII but the R24 records to SDHC cards—I don’t need to set up a laptop in addition.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro