828 Mk3 (FW) Standalone mixer question - Mix busses

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
hamildad
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828 Mk3 (FW) Standalone mixer question - Mix busses

Post by hamildad »

Hi there,

hoping this can be sorted out and I can keep using my MOTU 828 Mk3 for a few years yet.

I used to use this with a Macbook Air, but at some point the drivers/FW connection fritzed out, so as everything was still connected and working, I started using the 828 as a standalone device, this was ok as I used to do mixing/effects elsewhere.

I now have a windows machine with only a USBC port and no firewire :(

Now I am trying to set up a quick mix template to save via the front panel (828 in standalone mode) and I cannot get Mix2 to send to analogue out 1+2 (stereo).

I am using Mix 1 (in cuemix) as main mix with all instruments going to main out using the mix/eq where necessary.

MIX1 > routed to Main Outs.

I also have Mix2 so that I can use this as a effects send bus, and send anything I want to outboard Reverb ( which returns on Mix 1).

MIX2> analogue outs 1+2

Problem:

Mix 2 will not send to analogue outs 1+2, when I set this up on the front panel, it doesn't route and nothing is output from 1+2. when I route Mix1 to outputs 1+2 it works fine, and I get the 1+2 output LED on the front panel. but then I cannot route Mix2 to main ( so switching the use of both mix busses).

I have done this before but possibly using the CueMix software, but everything should be achievable using the 828 as standalone.

I just need 2 mix busses, one going to Main and one going to Analogue 1+2.

Is this possible??

any help much appreciated as its taken a long time to get used to the front panel of the 828 and I dont have the funds to buy another interface..
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 Mk3 (FW) Standalone mixer question - Mix busses

Post by mikehalloran »

Not everything is available through the front panel. These have functionality that can be programmed through a computer. Searchable pdf manuals are your friend.
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/fire ... de_Win.pdf

The bad news is that there’s no way to set this up on a PC if you do not have access to one with Firewire. The good news is that these configurations can be saved for use in stand-alone mode.

These can be set up on a current Thunderbolt equipped Mac with a hundred bucks worth of adapters. For less than the price of adapters, you should be able to find an old FW Mac on Craigslist that can be had for very little money so that you can program your unit. Heck, if you live in my neck of the woods, I’ll give you one (I gave it away once and my friend brought it back).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hamildad
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by hamildad »

thanks Mike,

I did search the Manual and google, using Standalone and Mix as key terms but got nowhere, as the only reference to Standalone (p47) says
You can make adjustments to any setting at any time from the front panel.
italics my own.

I will try to use my old Macbook Air or my partners newer one to connect, I use a FW 400 >800 cable and then an Apple FW to thunderbolt adaptor.

the trick is to see if its a cable issue or a software issue, but getting another Apple mac should be manageable.

I can confidently say as I live in London, I cant borrow yours but thanks for the offer. :wink:

I'll try to do what I can, and if I get a connection, set up this Mix Bus routing as a user config.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

You don’t want stand alone till after you’ve finished setting it up. Then you can recall those settings in stand alone mode.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro