UPDATE: Beyond Black v2.3 Now Available***

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UPDATE: Beyond Black v2.3 Now Available***

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey gang.......
After a few emails from midilance, I discovered a way to make the wiper handle more apparent and instutited that into v2.3 of "Beyond Black," my edited theme for DP. v2.3 has been posted here and all the earlier 2.x versions have been taken down.

If you'd like to try it out…
1. Unpack the zip archive.
2. Drop the file "Beyond_Black-v2.3.bundle" into [your system drive]->Library->Application Support->MOTU->Digital Performer->Themes (if you don't see "Library" just hod down your option key and click on the "Go" menu in the Finder)
For Windows users, a member suggested C:\ProgramData\MOTU\Digital Performer\Themes\
3. Open DP, then Preferences, click on "Themes" and select "Beyond_Black-v2.3"

***As always, use at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any issues that may arise on your particular system. BB2.0 been used successfully on both Macs and PCs and in both DP10 and DP11.***

Thanks to MidiLance, bayswater, daniel.sneed, and others for the ideas and suggestions. Since BBv2.0, I have…
• Changed the wiper color to a brighter green
• Updated and enlarged the art for the "swiper" handle to make it easier to see
• Brought the track buttons for Play, Enable, and Automation into spec for the rest of the theme
• Updated some check boxes for greater contrast—especially in the edit grid box in the Sequence Editor. This also resulted in some other check boxes being a bit brighter than I would have liked, but DP doesn't give me separate control. Overall, I'm happy with it.
• Brightened some white text and darkened the strip behind the rulers for better contrast.
• Something I've wanted to do for awhile: Changed the background of the Project Notes window to an off-white and the text to black (which also changed a few other fields, but I decided I could live with those).
• And I fiddled with grey tones for the windows, headers, and borders until I couldn't see straight, but I think I'm happy with where it ended up.
• [EDIT] And I finally figured out how to turn the record-enabled state of inputs in the Audio Monitor Window to pure red, instead of the pukey color MOTU sent for them.

Overall, I think you'll notice some significant improvements from BBv2.0.

This ends development for v2. I have to start practicing guitar more if I'm going to get an album out this year (with a new guitar that's on it's way to me from the luthier in South Africa), so don't expect any further updates for awhile. If you have suggestions, PM me and I'll keep them handy for the next time I get under the hood on this.

Thanks—as always—to James Steele for making this group possible, and to all who've passed along encouraging words.
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Tritonemusic

Re: Beyond Black v2.2

Post by Tritonemusic »

Rick Cornish wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:54 pm...(with a new guitar that's on it's way to me from the luthier in South Africa)
Post a pic of the guitar when it's done! 8)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks Rick. The changes are subtle but effective.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You forgot to credit me for the name Brother Rick. :lol:

Seriously mate, well done and thank you so much for sharing your tweaks as you progressed to the grand mother of 'em all, v2.2.

I too would like to see the guitar. I grew up in S. Africa so there's added interest there. Fingers crossed for you bud! :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

monkey man wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 pm You forgot to credit me for the name Brother Rick. :lol:
Of course, MM… it was your wordsmithing that took Beyond Black… uh, beyond!
monkey man wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 pm I too would like to see the guitar. I grew up in S. Africa so there's added interest there. Fingers crossed for you bud! :headbang:
I will post something when it arrives. Had to wait for a flight case to get built, which they tell me will be finished this week. Then, it’s off via FedEx and through the swamps of customs. Hoping to see it late next week or the following.

Cheers, buddy. 👍🏻👌🏻✌🏻
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Awesome sauce Rick! :dance:

Look forward to it mate. :headbang:

nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Thank you for the updates.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks so much!! DP looks amazing!! Super nice on the eyes, relaxing on the mind, and it will only get better and better as my neurons align with all the new-found consistency and logistics.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I tried this yesterday. I was amazed on how easy it was on my eyes and also how bright the other themes now appear to be. Its really nice on the eyes/brain. Thanks so much.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
npj

Re: UPDATE: Beyond Black v2.3 Now Available***

Post by npj »

My eyes thank you Rick! 8)

Idea for a future alt version - I think all the green window header highlights + wiper would look cool if they were neon blue.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks for the kind words, mates. Glad to know you like working in “Beyond Black."

Cheers!
Rick Cornish

bdr

Post by bdr »

Thanks Rick, very generous of you.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Rick this theme is great, love the combination of dark and heavy colors, makes everything pop!
:headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

:unicorn: Rick, the last one is great.
I've just been thru a long an tedious editing session, and I feel v2.3 is extremely easy on my eyes.
Kudos and thanks!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha!

I've kept the folder open on the desktop knowing that you'd be updating... since v1.0. :lol:

Well done and thank you again Rick. :headbang: