motu track16 and deep sadness

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
RufusGroovus1
Primary DAW OS: Windows

motu track16 and deep sadness

Post by RufusGroovus1 »

I will try to keep this short. I am a retired musician and decided enjoyin creating music in my own home studio without the rigor of traveling all year was all I wanted at this point in life.
Since mostly all I needed was a few simul tracks, I opted for a track16 to go along with the abundance of highend hardware I have collected over the years (preamps, compressors, etc etc). At first I was quite happy with how well everything had turned out. Then, life had some changes and I had to shelf my motu and all my equipment for a few couple years which were stored SAFELY in an empty house. FINALLY, I was ale to get back to my love of making music..I bought top of line powerful PCs /la ptops, brqand new, never even used for interenet purposes.

I purchase presonus studio live 4 (love it compared to cubase that I had years for YEARS) started to set things up as ive done in a million times in the past. and then PROBLEM AFTER PROZBLEM AFZTER PROBLEM appeared. to name a few:

1. windows 10 is incompapable of ever r3ecognizing motu as a soundcard without having to run a trouble shoot and restart every single time you turn off the motu (no i dont leave them on all day)

2. THEN my monitors/ inputs decided to just stop working....
3. guitar inputs on it decide to work when they feel like it...but considering Ive paid big money for preamps, i bypass the motu PRES anyway and use the analogues inputs (neve 1073, avalon sp compressor, b12a blacklion) ALL now useless for the time being. but hey, the guitar and mic pres work (sort of) so thats nice..considering i NEVER use them unless for an unim[pprtant drum mic, etc. lets see, oh well hey the headphone jack works... the cue mix program acknowledges the monitors are getting signal....they just dont like to make actual SOUND come out of the speakers.. Um, right now...i dont know this is just the tip of the iceberg. like I said, windows refuses to recognizes the motu as anything more than generic. NOthing works in windows...

and what can i say. im deeply deeply saddened. ive spent so much moneyg upgrading everything. and after feeling a massive ampount of inspiration to start copyrighting some music again....well, I guess I am now reduced to my iphone voice recorder. before people roll their eyes at this post..im not going to spend time dropping my resume in this profession. but what i will say is i have been running my own studio for over 15 years (this includes me producing local bands myself as a way to help me pay for college) so, at the very least Im not some newbie whose trying to learn how digital audio works in this day and age. anyways...I am losing hope as we speak. I refuse to believe anything is wrong with my snake, or unit, as it has been properly stored and untouched.

if this sounds similiar to anyone or if anybody has the slightest idea of whats going on.. Please feel free to write back, or even contact me at wereonourwayhome00@gmail.com Im willing to pay $$$ for what its worth. Thanks guys

RufusGroovus
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: motu track16 and deep sadness

Post by stubbsonic »

Sorry you're having trouble getting your studio back on line. That can be really frustrating-- especially when you are very careful with all the steps.

People here can be very helpful! (Especially when the trouble-shooting steps are organized and the exchange is positive and not vitriolic).

There will be no problem integrating your analog gear with your DAW.

The big challenge is between your computer and your audio i/o.

You didn't mention whether you have installed the latest drivers for your Track16. That's an important step, both to mention here, and to do (if you haven't).

I'm not on Windows, so I don't know how the configuration works after the system is properly booted with the drivers installed. But that would affect how everything handshakes, etc.

There are many more folks on here more qualified than I to help you trouble-shoot. If that doesn't work, MOTU's support is there to help you get things working.

Just wanted to wish you luck, Mr. Groovus.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
RufusGroovus1

Post by RufusGroovus1 »

thanks so much for your response. Yes, absolutely all the lastes drivers have been installed (numerous times ;P)

Im just so worried. As Ive said, Ive been working within my own DAW for many many years. Before this unit, I had been using a motu 828 mkII which I had black lion do their full upgrade on both ADDA converters and decoupling on all built in preamps. I used thqat successfully from 2003 until 2012 when I relocated to los ang and liquidated my entire setup to then start over with a more '1 person workspace' due to space constraints. the track 16 worked beautifully for the short time i used it until i stored it away (until now).

yes, I do have to reinstall the drivers essentially everytime i reboot windows but thats the least of my problems. as of now, I have a head phone jack and 1 stock guitar input thats functioning. All inputs do show up in the daw. its just nothing works. Ive done everything I can think of, short of using a different OS. somehow I sont think that will be the solution either. I JUST got off of work...just in time to rush in my house, turn on my computer and dial tech support..... to which I got a busy signal....and then attempt 2 a 'were CLOSED'. I r refuse to accept that my (essentially) unused snake inputs is faulty. and looks like my schedule does not correlate with tech support hours.

...anybody in the chicago area feel like making a cpl $100 bucks for a house run?? :idea: :idea: :idea: :wink:
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

RufusGroovus1 wrote: ...anybody in the chicago area feel like making a cpl $100 bucks for a house run?? :idea: :idea: :idea: :wink:
If you're on Facebook, there's a MOTU page (or used to be...). You might post that request there. Surely there's someone in the Windy City who knows this stuff and needs $100!

But I'm a little uninformed. Is the Track 16 giving you grief? Or is it the PC itself that is to blame (at least partially)?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
RufusGroovus1

Post by RufusGroovus1 »

% certain, id be willing to bet its the unit. this is a MSI gs63vr stealth pro gencore i7-7700HQ 16gb mem with all graphic power turned down to a min to give
most power to audio performance

hehe, thats not a bad idea! 8)

ok, so I started over from scratch, did a reformat, and uninstalled all programs. So instead of just turning into an emotional rollercoaster ill try to demonstrate my problems methodically, as they expose themselves in an orderly fasion.

1. reinstalled everything. updated firmware, windows recognizes all i/o's of the motu. so good so far.

2.now my goal is to test each input seperately for signal.
through
3. headphone jack shows both signal in cuemix, windows audio, and sound is heard through headphones. Next, is main outs. (both monitors were tested via external sound source). testing the main outs shows signal in BOTH cue mix, AND win audio. However, no audio is actually audible anywhere. I have messed with cuemix settings, everything is functioning except sound making it from laptop source through monitor speakers. THIS is where I am stopping at for now. I have GYAZO program that i can use to take on the go screen shots / gifs i can post right here.

Thanks so much agian for your prompt response. if you feel you have some time to help me with 'hopefully' a simple fix. I'd be most gracious and would be glad to donate a few bucks through paypal ;) im getting the feeling that if this isnt a matter of a malfunctioning piece of equipment, it may be an fairly easy fix. well, one can hope...
RufusGroovus1

Re: motu track16 and deep sadness UPDATE

Post by RufusGroovus1 »

okay. after many many hours of tech support. installations on multiple different laptops, etc. I have made some progress.. HOWEVER, this is the problem I aM focusing. on for now.

All instrument inputs are functioning. headphones are getting signal. Now, the main outs are another story. the EQ picks up a signal in cuemix. the main out meter on the track 16 itself does NOT get signal, and thus no audio is played through monitors.

however, there is a 'workaound', because the ANALOGUE 1-2 outs (line outs) do play audio through the monitors. This is a bit of an issue because i use my line i/o for my external equipment EG preamps, compressors, etc. considering I use these exclusively and do not use any of the motu stock pres is going to be quite an issue. currently i use an avalon compressor, neve 1073 and several black lion audio pres..well lets just say that i dont exactly have spare analogue i/o's to use for studio monitors.

so all i can think of for now as a work around is to simply do all my mixing with headphones. otherwise known as 24/7 migraines. so okay, not surei f this is progress or not. im really hoping somone could chime in with either some advice or just some emotional support ;]

Ive decided that im going to invest in a mac setup, since the motu tech support guy sold me on that. but what good will a mac do if the track 16 i/os are as confused as i am. :shake:
Tarzan_on_bass

Post by Tarzan_on_bass »

RufusGroovus1, you are not alone!!! I've been having this issue for the last month hoping to find some sort of resolution! If nothing else, I hope this is some sort of emotional support with sympathy!
siyahitin

Post by siyahitin »

Hello.

It's been a while since the topic, but did you solve your problem?

I'm having similar problems right now. I can only get sound from the headphone outputs with my sound card.

If you solved the problem, can you tell me how you did it?