DP 11.1 is out now!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Z car guy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.1 is out now!

Post by Z car guy »

I lost audio input recording after this update . Output works fine and everything else seems normal . DP sees my interface , but no audio makes it into DP , not even showing on input monitor and even tried loopback too. I even tested with iMovie to make sure interface gets audio into Mac . It must be some preference I cant find that bumped this off ? I tried deleting some preferences but same issue .

Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you
Bass Guitar , Digital Performer 11.1 , iMac Pro , Motu M4 , Mac os 12.3.1 Icon Platform M+
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Z car guy wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:38 am I lost audio input recording after this update . Output works fine and everything else seems normal . DP sees my interface , but no audio makes it into DP , not even showing on input monitor and even tried loopback too. I even tested with iMovie to make sure interface gets audio into Mac . It must be some preference I cant find that bumped this off ? I tried deleting some preferences but same issue .

Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you
Not seeing this, but I just now tried it. I spent so much time futzing with my instrument tracks that I didn't have a chance. I'm really trying to like 11.1.
828x MacOS 13.6.7 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
npj

Post by npj »

James Steele wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:16 am
I need to look into this tomorrow. I have Console 1 as well, but didn't see this. Of course, I don't elect to convert my Instrument Tracks to the new type when opening older projects. I do it on a case by case basis after opening the project, by creating a new-style Instrument Track, moving the VI over to it, then copying the MIDI data from the MIDI track that was targeting the older style Instrument Track to the new Instrument Track. If that makes any sense.

I think some of the problem must be from converting them en masse, perhaps? I'll have to experiment a bit more tomorrow with it.
Yeah, manually converting legacy instrument tracks works ok. It's just very tedious and not really worth the time for me. I would use the auto-combine-on-open if it worked. Hopefully DP11.11 will fix it.

Note that I have the OSD track ordering issues using the AU version of the plugin.

I tested with the VST3 version and that works normally.

Unfortunately I often reuse old project files so it's impractical for me to switch to the VST3 version for newer projects (I don't want to keep switching the OSD between AU and VST modes). Hopefully the AU will get fixed soon. I guess I should report it to Softube.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

npj wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:10 pmI tested with the VST3 version and that works normally.

Unfortunately I often reuse old project files so it's impractical for me to switch to the VST3 version for newer projects (I don't want to keep switching the OSD between AU and VST modes). Hopefully the AU will get fixed soon. I guess I should report it to Softube.
Hmmm... it's too bad you have so many existing projects using the AU version. I didn't buy Console 1 until after DP had support for VST3 which is the format you need to use to get all the features available with Console 1. Honestly, the integration with VST3 is so much better, I personally wouldn't mind having to switch. Seems all that happens when you switch between plugin formats is you get a dialog telling you there are either more (going from AU to VST3) or fewer (going from VST3 to AU) features enabled. You just dismiss that and off you go.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
npj

Post by npj »

James Steele wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:41 pm Hmmm... it's too bad you have so many existing projects using the AU version. I didn't buy Console 1 until after DP had support for VST3 which is the format you need to use to get all the features available with Console 1. Honestly, the integration with VST3 is so much better, I personally wouldn't mind having to switch. Seems all that happens when you switch between plugin formats is you get a dialog telling you there are either more (going from AU to VST3) or fewer (going from VST3 to AU) features enabled. You just dismiss that and off you go.
I also starting using C1 after DP got VST3 support... I'd gotten into the habit of defaulting to AU versions of plugins and presumed that both AU/VST3 would get all the same features (and at the time I think they were the same)... I wish I knew back then that the VST3 would get more features :(

I jump between ~30 DP projects most weeks and about half are older projects so I'd have to 'OK' to switch the OSD all the time... I thought that would be mildly annoying... but If VST3 gets track colour support, that would probably make me bite the bullet and switch.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think part of the problem is that AU doesn’t support some of the “two way” communication between DAW and plug-in that VST3 can. VST3 supports sending track names to Console 1. I’m not sure, but it might also support controlling actual DAW fader and pans as well?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

I have been using performer since ‘93 and I’m on it about 8-12 hours a day. It may just be an ‘old dog new tricks’ thing cuz I’m not seeing the advantage of having a MIDI track and the instrument track in the same track. Just seems confusing. After I upgraded earlier today I found myself trying to make it work the way I was used to working. Anyway, the reason I’m posting is: I would be glad to pay someone for an hour of their time to just zoom in and help me see the value of some of these new features and to be able to use them in my workflow. I’m an avid DP user and need to get a handle on these new changes. Thanks! :)
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
npj

Post by npj »

James Steele wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:20 pm I think part of the problem is that AU doesn’t support some of the “two way” communication between DAW and plug-in that VST3 can. VST3 supports sending track names to Console 1. I’m not sure, but it might also support controlling actual DAW fader and pans as well?
Yeah, exactly. I didn't know VST3 could communicate both ways until I tested it and was pleasantly surprised ... The AU does support track names though.

What the VST3 can do bidirectionally is DP's track level, pan and 3 send levels.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

One interesting new thing I am seeing in DP 11.1 is that when I thought I had crashed and was watching the "spring beach ball", I got a phone-call and I held off on force-quitting, and after 20-30 seconds, everything camber back and it turned out I hadn't crashed.

I have actually crashed a few times since DP 11.1, mainly ()I think?) going too fast between DP and Vienna Pro Server (or vice-versa), but now I am holding off on force-quitting until I am really sure I crashed, and it has turned out maybe 7 or 8 times now after waiting a bit that I have not crashed.

I'm not seeing any issues with whatever this converting instrument tracks thing is? I am going to go back and read from the start off this thread when I have a minute to try to understand it, but I am not seeing any differences at all in DP 11.1 and the VI's I use (Kontakt, Stylus, Omnipshere, EW Play, Spitfire-whatever, etc.).

It just asked me that once when I opened my main template about converting something (I can't remember the wording) and I hit yes, and then I've been working just fine ever since.

Granted I have not tried to reopen complex older projects, so maybe I just don't feel the pain yet, but I don't quite understand the issue?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

joelmusic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:37 pm I have been using performer since ‘93 and I’m on it about 8-12 hours a day.
You have to be among the most qualified to answer your own question.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

joelmusic wrote:…I’m not seeing the advantage of having a MIDI track and the instrument track in the same track.
The best thing about DP’s implementation is that you can STILL use Instrument Tracks the old way if you want to. I pretty much only use them the new way for drum VIs so far.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

joelmusic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:37 pm I have been using performer since ‘93 and I’m on it about 8-12 hours a day. It may just be an ‘old dog new tricks’ thing cuz I’m not seeing the advantage of having a MIDI track and the instrument track in the same track. Just seems confusing. After I upgraded earlier today I found myself trying to make it work the way I was used to working. Anyway, the reason I’m posting is: I would be glad to pay someone for an hour of their time to just zoom in and help me see the value of some of these new features and to be able to use them in my workflow. I’m an avid DP user and need to get a handle on these new changes. Thanks! :)
Mostly IMO this is just you being very very used to the way DP did it up until now. I cannot think of another DAW in 2022 that had separate MIDI and instrument tracks, and there's a reason. Space. A project with non multi instruments say 15 of them, is 30 tracks in DP previous to 11.1. This would make sense I guess if you always used V-Racks or always wrote a lot of track automation, i.e. you need to see notes/CC and track automation at the same time.
It was/is nice to have the MIDI volume fader in virtual instruments that support it, but that list is pretty small these days, out of dozens of virtual instrument here, only Kontakt, Falcon, Arturia synths (for the most part) support without too much set up CC7 volume control, otherwise it's a bit of a hack. So when hopping to the Mixer there's all these MIDI mixer channels that don't do anything. So IMO this has been a long long time coming, the only "downside" is having to use a MIDI track with a VI to get CC7 automation via the MIDI fader if it supports it.

The whole thing is pretty seamless, but I suppose the only missing feature would be to not have any MIDI input on a VI track at all, but it's easily ignorable if you wish to have all 16 channels of MIDI going into an instrument track etc. Mostly if you're using Kontakt or Falcon/UVI a lot you're not seeing a huge clearing up of clutter in your projects, but if you use a lot of virtual instruments, you are.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:05 pm
joelmusic wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:37 pm I have been using performer since ‘93 and I’m on it about 8-12 hours a day. It may just be an ‘old dog new tricks’ thing cuz I’m not seeing the advantage of having a MIDI track and the instrument track in the same track. Just seems confusing. After I upgraded earlier today I found myself trying to make it work the way I was used to working. Anyway, the reason I’m posting is: I would be glad to pay someone for an hour of their time to just zoom in and help me see the value of some of these new features and to be able to use them in my workflow. I’m an avid DP user and need to get a handle on these new changes. Thanks! :)
Mostly IMO this is just you being very very used to the way DP did it up until now. I cannot think of another DAW in 2022 that had separate MIDI and instrument tracks, and there's a reason. Space. A project with non multi instruments say 15 of them, is 30 tracks in DP previous to 11.1. This would make sense I guess if you always used V-Racks or always wrote a lot of track automation, i.e. you need to see notes/CC and track automation at the same time.
It was/is nice to have the MIDI volume fader in virtual instruments that support it, but that list is pretty small these days, out of dozens of virtual instrument here, only Kontakt, Falcon, Arturia synths (for the most part) support without too much set up CC7 volume control, otherwise it's a bit of a hack. So when hopping to the Mixer there's all these MIDI mixer channels that don't do anything. So IMO this has been a long long time coming, the only "downside" is having to use a MIDI track with a VI to get CC7 automation via the MIDI fader if it supports it.

The whole thing is pretty seamless, but I suppose the only missing feature would be to not have any MIDI input on a VI track at all, but it's easily ignorable if you wish to have all 16 channels of MIDI going into an instrument track etc. Mostly if you're using Kontakt or Falcon/UVI a lot you're not seeing a huge clearing up of clutter in your projects, but if you use a lot of virtual instruments, you are.
Thanks for that Michael. I can see the reason of 'space' and once I get used to it I'm sure I'll think of pre 11.1 as the olden days. However, what I'm struggling with now, as an old dog, is: I'm seeing _double_ tracks in the MIDI editor when I used to see just MIDI tracks. I'm seeing the accompanying VI tracks as well. So it _appears_ as more tracks, not less, at this point for me. So I guess I need to filter out the VI tracks and only look @ MIDI? But it's all in one track, but I'm seeing double. Anyway, I know I'm looking dumb right now but oh well, I'm on deadline and just trying to make sense of it... thanks again - looking forward to getting a handle on this!
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

joelmusic wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:35 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:05 pm

Thanks for that Michael. I can see the reason of 'space' and once I get used to it I'm sure I'll think of pre 11.1 as the olden days. However, what I'm struggling with now, as an old dog, is: I'm seeing _double_ tracks in the MIDI editor when I used to see just MIDI tracks. I'm seeing the accompanying VI tracks as well. So it _appears_ as more tracks, not less, at this point for me. So I guess I need to filter out the VI tracks and only look @ MIDI? But it's all in one track, but I'm seeing double. Anyway, I know I'm looking dumb right now but oh well, I'm on deadline and just trying to make sense of it... thanks again - looking forward to getting a handle on this!
I just saw others chimed in on my post - thank you as well.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

joelmusic wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:35 pm Thanks for that Michael. I can see the reason of 'space' and once I get used to it I'm sure I'll think of pre 11.1 as the olden days. However, what I'm struggling with now, as an old dog, is: I'm seeing _double_ tracks in the MIDI editor when I used to see just MIDI tracks. I'm seeing the accompanying VI tracks as well. So it _appears_ as more tracks, not less, at this point for me. So I guess I need to filter out the VI tracks and only look @ MIDI? But it's all in one track, but I'm seeing double. Anyway, I know I'm looking dumb right now but oh well, I'm on deadline and just trying to make sense of it... thanks again - looking forward to getting a handle on this!
So what happens here when I "convert" a pre DP11.1 project to the new format is it moves the MIDI to the instrument track, but it doesn't delete the existing MIDI track. After making sure the MIDI and routings are right on the instrument track you can delete the extra MIDI track.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.