Mac Studio Max -vs-Ultra— workload comparisons needed

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

greg328
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by greg328 »

Hello MOTU braintrust. Trying to make a decision regarding the new Mac Studio, is the 10-core Max enough to handle my workload, or do I need the Ultra?

I’ve asked this question on several other threads here on the site, but nobody seems to have a definitive answer to this question.

My sessions mostly consist of heavy virtual instrument usage, sometimes 10 of them active at any given time, and fewer audio tracks, possibly 5 to 10, using bussed time-based effects whenever possible, and EQ, compression insert plugs per audio track. And then of course the master bus with a few plug-ins on it as well.

My current Mac Pro 5.1, 12 core 3.3 GHz machine, at low buffer sizes, runs at about 40 to 60% CPU usage, but not very smoothly- with the above workload.

Can anybody currently using the new Mac Studios, with either configuration, report back on their experiences?

If the 10-core Max would suffice, I will probably order that one but with more ram and storage, probably 64 GB, and 1 terabyte drive. But when I do that, the price creeps up to nearer the Utra price which is already at that memory/storage spec.

I was hoping to wait until June for the next new product announcement from Apple, but I feel like I need to pull the trigger; I’ve got some new album projects coming my way, and I want to be able to work on them in a more powerful, trouble free environment.

Another problem I’m experiencing with my current MacPro is my HDMI out to my TV monitor has begun to be problematic. The video feed flickers off and on, until I turn the TV off and on several times. A real pain in the butt! I’m using a metal-capable Radeon card. Machine is running OS 10.14.6 Mojave-

I know the HDMI output will be amazing on the new machine!

Greg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
mikehalloran

Re: Mac Studio Max -vs-Ultra— workload comparisons needed

Post by mikehalloran »

Variations of this question have been asked in a number of threads now. What answers are you not seeing?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

mikehalloran wrote:Variations of this question have been asked in a number of threads now. What answers are you not seeing?
Mike, I’ve not seen that information. I’m just wanting to know what workloads people are able to run on either Studio machine. I’ve scoured all the Mac Studio threads here and I have not seen any definitive information.

Perhaps I’ve missed something, if you could provide a link, it would be greatly appreciated! Or just tell me here —-what are your thoughts?

Greg

DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have yet to come close to hitting the wall with my Studio Ultra. Unfortunately, don't have the time to run tests, but my work is getting done with the new machine a lot more efficiently than it did with my 5,1 MacPro 12 core.

You might want to mosey over to Gearspace... theres a lengthy thread there about the Studio, with folks providing a variety of results from their testing. My feeling is unless you run very substantial projects, the M1 Max or Pro will do the job. In my case, as I've noted in another thread, I was just so darned thrilled Apple released such powerful machine at a price point substantially lower than the Mac Pro, I couldn't resist and sprang for the Ultra. Also, I keep my computers a long time.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
greg328

Post by greg328 »

HC- super helpful— I so appreciate it. I’ll check out Gearspace!

I was hoping you’d chime in—!

Greg

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

:D
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Well— I took the plunge and ordered a Mac Studio Ultra. Will arrive late June. I also ordered a Samsung M8 Smart Monitor, less than 50% of the Apple display cost— positive reviews led me to that decision.

Excited to be moving into a modern Mac!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The M8 looks ok
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/m ... m80bunxgo/

But it’s only 4K. I’m spoiled by the 5K iMacs I have including the NanoGlass on my wife’s 2020. My 4K side monitors, excellent as they are, just don’t compare as my eyes get older. Love that NanoGlass. $400 for an adjustable height stand is nuts when I can get a pivot arm that attaches to a VESA mount for well under $100.

In addition, the M8 does not have a built in microphone. Having one in the remote control doesn’t do it for me.
https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/con ... 0318.0.pdf

The built in in mic array is important for the Zoom rehearsals I conduct. Not only is my voice clear but my wife’s voice & piano comes through nicely though she’s 6’ away 90°to my left. The Studio Display’s is supposed to be better.

In any case, the Studio Display with NanoGlass will be a must for me. The twin LG 4Ks will remain on each side.

Had an iMP refresh with NanoGlass and 8TB onboard been available when I bought my 18 Core, I would have bought it. The only reason I didn’t buy a 2020 iMac 10 core i9 with those features was that my 14 Core could crunch AV files better. Unlike the armchair experts frothing at the keyboard on MacRumors, I actually had one of each to test.

I’m still tossing between the Max and Ultra but it has nothing to do with DP and everything to do with AV. For now, the Max does everything better but this will likely be the last desktop Mac I buy. My crystal ball is cloudy regarding the future so I may plunk down the extra $2K in an effort to future-proof my investment.

Back to AV, that’s what the Ultra brings to the table. I was really happy with my 14 Core and its Vega 56 GPU. Video files that took three days to crunch on my 2010 iMac (same card as the MP 4.1 and many 5.1) now rendered in 3–20 minutes. I went with my 18 Core in order to upgrade from 2TB to 4TB storage and no other reason but it came with a Vega 64. I was surprised that DP was noticeably faster but was amazed that those same AV files now rendered in a fraction of the time—10 seconds is not unusual and I have yet to have one take more than 4 minutes—that had 7 simultaneous video clips over 5 minutes in Premiere.

Apple just released the FCPx update that generated the numbers they are claiming for the Ultra — the ones that reviewers were unable to duplicate with the then current version of Final Cut Pro.

Since I won’t have time to upgrade till my main church client furloughs me for July–August, I’m holding off on ordering till after the WWDC. I don’t expect an iMP refresh with Studio/Studio Display specs but if it does happen, I’ll consider it.

As for the Ultra? This current situation with my churches will change and when they do more in person, I will have a lot more time on my hands and want to be ready to take on anything I can handle without hardware restrictions. That’s the goal, in any case.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Congrats on the soon to arrive Mac!

As for monitors: I like my $300 40" 4k display... my eyes enjoy the bigger pixels, and I still get a huge amount of desktop space to work in. Its just a TV, so some will not hesitate to share their disdain for what is probably a not-so-color-accurate monitor, but I'll leave the color correction to them.

The colors I care about I see with my ears.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I too am using a 4K TV as my main monitor… a 43” Samsung to be exact and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. The way my setup is, it’s the perfect solution for where I need to place it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I currently use a 65” LG UDTV in front as my main monitor— and my ancient Apple Cinema HD Display on the left side as a secondary monitor. Surely the new Samsung M8 will surpass the Cinema Display in image quality.

I’ll be selling that display along with my MP 5.1 probably in July. I’ve got a really cool Titan Ridge PCIe TB3 card I’ll be selling as well. I’m using it with my Apollo I/O.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

greg328 wrote:I currently use a 65” LG UDTV in front as my main monitor— and my ancient Apple Cinema HD Display on the left side as a secondary monitor.
I’m using a 30” Apple Cinema Display as my secondary monitor as well. Only reason I might replace it is that I can probably find something that draws less power.
I’ve got a really cool Titan Ridge PCIe TB3 card I’ll be selling as well.
Let me know what you want for it. I might be interested. It might help me ease into my Mac Studio transition in October by getting some TB audio interfaces going. I wonder if I have to flash my 5,1 again? I have the 14.0.0.0 EFI or whatever to run Catalina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

James you’ve got first right of refusal on the Titan Ridge TB3 card- it works perfectly fine- the only caveat is that the machine needs to be rebooted after sleep. It gave me another year of use with the 5.1. I’m using it with OS 10.14.6 Mojave so should work with Catalina!

I added the UA TB3 card to my UA Apollo FireWire to get MUCH better improvement over FireWire-

Greg