DP 11.1 is out now!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.1 is out now!

Post by amplidood »

But hey... This new VI handling is a game changer. It will probably bring people back to DP, since it is still the most musical DAW that exists.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The QuickScribe NOTE RESPELL tool is still broken.

As for the long-standing consecutive note bug, one quick test indicates MOTU might have sorted that one out. Early days on that one, but I'm optimistic.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:23 pm Deleting my converted Legacy tracks and recreating them seem to do the trick. Acts like it's supposed to, and eliminates crashing. I'm not going to do this with ALL my templates. No more converting Legacy tracks for me for a while. :smash:
None of the original V11 features were useful to me with the possible exception of variable fader throws. I was waiting for the .1 update before moving to V11. It looks like MOTU is concentrating on things that make DP an alternative to Logic and Live.

Are there any basic workflow improvements? The options for VIs could be useful, but I’m wondering if there are fixes to come for that. What happens if you just open an old template and save it as a new V11.1 template? What if you open an old project with a load of VIs in and out of VRacks? Is there a preference telling DP to stick to the original config when creating or opening files?

IIRC, I can still DL 11.1 despite my 30 trial period having expired, and look at the manual, assuming that was updated.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:53 pm
cuttime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:23 pm Deleting my converted Legacy tracks and recreating them seem to do the trick. Acts like it's supposed to, and eliminates crashing. I'm not going to do this with ALL my templates. No more converting Legacy tracks for me for a while. :smash:
None of the original V11 features were useful to me with the possible exception of variable fader throws. I was waiting for the .1 update before moving to V11. It looks like MOTU is concentrating on things that make DP an alternative to Logic and Live.

Are there any basic workflow improvements? The options for VIs could be useful, but I’m wondering if there are fixes to come for that. What happens if you just open an old template and save it as a new V11.1 template? What if you open an old project with a load of VIs in and out of VRacks? Is there a preference telling DP to stick to the original config when creating or opening files?

IIRC, I can still DL 11.1 despite my 30 trial period having expired, and look at the manual, assuming that was updated.
I haven't really noticed any workflow improvements, but I've only just now gotten to the crash-free phase. Saving an older template as an 11.1 document was the first thing I tried, and it didn't help. When one loads an old project you get a dialog giving you the opportunity to convert, ignore, stop asking, or make a key command to convert, which I've decided is my best option.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I take it back, the Real Time MIDI plugs are still there, I was just looking at the Channel Strip at first. Duh. The efficiency of DP just took a light year leap ahead with this new version, this is the update I've been waiting for for a very, very long time.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Seems a bit faster to start, but I still have spurious issues related to the Monterey upgrade, even after shutting down Spotlight, so it's not easy for me to tell what's at fault when my system freezes or slows down.

It's interesting that a new format is introduced with this release. I suppose in years past, this would have been a paid ".5" upgrade. Of course I understand why it's a new format. And I am resaving projects any time I open them. I see no reason to go back.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

dewdman42 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 am crashed for me within first few minutes of using it. Will look forward to a minor update. I welcome the new instrument track improvement....which some people have bizzarly argued against having for I don't know how many years. hey...it didn't ruin DP did it!?!?! Well when using V-Racks its a moot point anyway, but it is nice sometimes to quickly just create an instrument track and start playing it. I think a welcome improvement, but in truth...most DP power users probably won't use it that much either...so there is that.

They only partially fixed the articulation Map feature I had been asking them about...channelizing of MIDI events... I have created another tech note in hopes they will get there all the way...
They also fixed a bug with articulation map message export in MIDI files I reported. But none of the artic map features I suggested yet either. Still, I get the sense that they understand the appeal and usage this feature is getting. Well, from both of us at least :)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:38 pm I haven't really noticed any workflow improvements, but I've only just now gotten to the crash-free phase. Saving an older template as an 11.1 document was the first thing I tried, and it didn't help. When one loads an old project you get a dialog giving you the opportunity to convert, ignore, stop asking, or make a key command to convert, which I've decided is my best option.
So, from that it looks like you can carry on working with Instrument tracks in older projects as you always have, or use a key command to do the conversion, and those processes don't cause a crash. I'm not clear on what you did to stop the crashing.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:38 pm
cuttime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:38 pm I haven't really noticed any workflow improvements, but I've only just now gotten to the crash-free phase. Saving an older template as an 11.1 document was the first thing I tried, and it didn't help. When one loads an old project you get a dialog giving you the opportunity to convert, ignore, stop asking, or make a key command to convert, which I've decided is my best option.
So, from that it looks like you can carry on working with Instrument tracks in older projects as you always have, or use a key command to do the conversion, and those processes don't cause a crash. I'm not clear on what you did to stop the crashing.
Deleting and recreating my converted instrument tracks stopped the crashing. They comprised various combinations of AUs, and a few VSTs.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dewdman42 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 amI welcome the new instrument track improvement....which some people have bizzarly argued against having for I don't know how many years. hey...it didn't ruin DP did it!?!?! Well when using V-Racks its a moot point anyway, but it is nice sometimes to quickly just create an instrument track and start playing it. I think a welcome improvement, but in truth...most DP power users probably won't use it that much either...so there is that.
Well I am a power-user, and I can tell you right now I will be using both methods! Whatever suits my musical fancy!

Congratulations MOTU, this is a major step up, especially because you added it, and didn't replace it.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:18 pm
bayswater wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:38 pm I'm not clear on what you did to stop the crashing.
Deleting and recreating my converted instrument tracks stopped the crashing. They comprised various combinations of AUs, and a few VSTs.
Disappointing that such a significant new feature isn’t quite right. Maybe I’ll hold off for another round of bug fixes.
npj

Post by npj »

So happy about the new combined instrument tracks - but Console 1 doesn't like them... :(

After either creating new (or converting old) instrument tracks, in the Console 1 OSD it leaves an empty track between each instrument track. It's as if there is an instrument track and then it's MIDI track is the next track... but I've just got 10 instrument tracks in a row. :|

Also, re-ordering tracks confuses Console 1's OSD too. They start off in the right order but then moving anything around creates all sorts of nonsensical results.

It seems like we need a Console 1 update for it to be compatible with these new instrument tracks. Sigh.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Killahurts wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:51 pmCongratulations MOTU, this is a major step up, especially because you added it, and didn't replace it.
This!

Wuddun MOTU and thank you very, very much. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

amplidood wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:01 pm I use real-time MIDI processing. Always have, always will. No MIDI on instrument tracks for me ;)
Not quite sure what you mean here? do you mean MIDI FX processing like arps etc.?

If you just play MIDI instruments straight to audio nothing has changed really.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

npj wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:04 pm So happy about the new combined instrument tracks - but Console 1 doesn't like them... :(

After either creating new (or converting old) instrument tracks, in the Console 1 OSD it leaves an empty track between each instrument track. It's as if there is an instrument track and then it's MIDI track is the next track... but I've just got 10 instrument tracks in a row. :|

Also, re-ordering tracks confuses Console 1's OSD too. They start off in the right order but then moving anything around creates all sorts of nonsensical results.

It seems like we need a Console 1 update for it to be compatible with these new instrument tracks. Sigh.
I need to look into this tomorrow. I have Console 1 as well, but didn't see this. Of course, I don't elect to convert my Instrument Tracks to the new type when opening older projects. I do it on a case by case basis after opening the project, by creating a new-style Instrument Track, moving the VI over to it, then copying the MIDI data from the MIDI track that was targeting the older style Instrument Track to the new Instrument Track. If that makes any sense.

I think some of the problem must be from converting them en masse, perhaps? I'll have to experiment a bit more tomorrow with it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!