Servicing a U87. Any point?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Servicing a U87. Any point?

Post by gavspen »

Hi Guys,

Is there any point in sending my (apparently pre '86) U87 to Neumann for a "tune up", so to speak? It's filthy on the outside, so one can only begin to imagine how much spittle, phlegm and general grime....ewww!... has accumulated on the inside as well. Someone suggested it once. Is that a "thing"? Sending your U87 (or any other mic) in for service?

Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
mikehalloran

Re: Servicing a U87. Any point?

Post by mikehalloran »

gavspen wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:51 am Hi Guys,

Is there any point in sending my (apparently pre '86) U87 to Neumann for a "tune up", so to speak? It's filthy on the outside, so one can only begin to imagine how much spittle, phlegm and general grime....ewww!... has accumulated on the inside as well. Someone suggested it once. Is that a "thing"? Sending your U87 (or any other mic) in for service?

Gavin
There are many well respected techs who offer that service including this guy.
https://www.tonofriomicrophone-repair.com/

The official line:

THE NEUMANN SERVICE PHILOSOPHY
Neumann products are more than tools; they are investments that often last a lifetime. The proof is in the high percentage of microphones that are sent in for a first repair service after decades of use.

Service is an integral part of the Neumann philosophy to give our customers the best possible quality at all times. That’s why our service department makes no technical modifications of any kind but will always restore the products to their initial specifications, thus preserving their original character.

Neumann offers this service for all microphones made after 1947. If mechanical parts have become defective, we can remanufacture them according to archived production drawings. Certain tubes, however, cannot be replaced anymore as manufactures like Telefunken already discontinued their production in the late 1960s.

Neumann’s service guarantees the longevity of your product and serves to maintain its value. If your product needs repair or a professional cleaning, please contact your national distributor. Please use the Contact Center to make sure your inquiry will be processed as quickly as possible.

ORDERING REPLACEMENT PARTS AND SERVICE REQUESTS
Please contact your national distributor for service requests and ordering replacement parts.

Sennheiser USA is the American distributor.
https://spares.sennheiser.com/en-us

The typical quote is 50% the price of new, paid up front but I don't know if that's the case with a U87. A couple years ago, I was going to have them repair my BCM-104 and emailed for an RMA but, because of COVID, there was no guarantee as to when I would get it back. Finally, I realized that dirty switches (internal on this mic) could be the culprit so what the heck, I opened it up and flipped each of them a few hundred times. Good as new. If that hadn't done it, I would have paid the dough for the do-re-me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

I was in touch with Sennheiser late last year Mike. Didnt seem like they expected it to cost anywhere near 50% of purchase price. They say this:

You must send the product to us to assess the work required and calculate the repair cost.
If the repair cost is below 100 €/£/$ we will not provide an estimate.
If the repair cost is more than 100 €/£/$ we will provide an estimate. You must approve the estimate before we proceed with the work.
If you prefer to pre-authorise a repair, please indicate the maximum charge you would pay in the comments section of the checkout.

I was just wondering if anyone around here had actually done it, and what the result was.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

gavspen wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 am
If you prefer to pre-authorise a repair, please indicate the maximum charge you would pay in the comments section of the checkout.
I'll say this... and it's just the skeptic in me... LOL... but I'd never tell them the most I was willing to pay up front. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I'd bet 9 times out of 10, the final cost will be about the maximum! :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

James Steele wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:45 am
gavspen wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 am
I'll say this... and it's just the skeptic in me... LOL... but I'd never tell them the most I was willing to pay up front. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I'd bet 9 times out of 10, the final cost will be about the maximum! :lol:
Oh, I agree. You may rest assured James, it wouldnt be a large number. :)