M1 Mac Studio Max issues

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
joelmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

M1 Mac Studio Max issues

Post by joelmusic »

Has anyone else had lots of problems after migrating to the M1 chip? (I just got a Mac Studio Max) My apologies if this topic is in another thread. Aside from compatibility issues with some 3rd party plugins, it seems as if audio and MIDI in DP is compromised - crackling audio, audio drop-outs, MIDI notes hanging to name 3. I'm now running DP in Rosetta mode because some 3rd party developers recommend it. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any tips or workarounds cuz my workflow has been 1/2 of what it was on my old iMac with all this troubleshooting.Thanks!
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
shansen1

Re: M1 Mac Studio Max issues

Post by shansen1 »

I am running DP 11 in native and the plugins that need it in Rosetta2. It works perfect with audio interface 1248. I have a MTP AV MIDI interface that does not work. I have a resent report from MOTU tech about the current MIDI interfaces from MOTU that are not working with the new Mac Studio.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Running DP11.04 Native here, with some Native VIs and plugins and some Rosetta2 VIs and plugins. Excellent performance overall on an M1 Ultra SOC.

I’d try DP Native.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Regarding the MTPAV-USB not working with Apple Silicon, can anybody provide list of known good MIDI interfaces that will work with the new M1 Mac Studio?

Further, I’d like some real world intel from users that have the new Mac Studio Max and/or Ultra: I’d like to know if the 10-core Max is sufficient running, say, 10 virtual instruments, and maybe 10-15 audio tracks, plus FX on master bus and on individual VIs and audio tracks.

This is the $4000 dollar question, can most of us get by on Mac Studio Max or do we need to pop for the 20-core ultra, to handle music production loads?

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

It may just be the Mac Studio having problems with MTP-AV USB. I have one running with a MBP M1-Max (Monterey 12.3.1). Installed the latest MOTU MIDI driver and connected with an Apple USB-C to USB-A adaptor. Loses connection on sleep but otherwise seems to be working.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
shansen1

Post by shansen1 »

Kurt Cowling wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:39 pm It may just be the Mac Studio having problems with MTP-AV USB. I have one running with a MBP M1-Max (Monterey 12.3.1). Installed the latest MOTU MIDI driver and connected with an Apple USB-C to USB-A adaptor. Loses connection on sleep but otherwise seems to be working.
Yes it is only the Mac Studio that have problems with Motu MIDI interfaces 8)
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I wonder if my Yamaha Motif XS8 direct USB out would work with the new Mac Studio? Anybody tried that? Circumventing the need for a MIDI interface?

DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:57 am I wonder if my Yamaha Motif XS8 direct USB out would work with the new Mac Studio? Anybody tried that? Circumventing the need for a MIDI interface?

I use an S90ES with an M1 MacBook Air and it works perfectly via USB with the required Yamaha Driver; IIRC, Yamaha has a driver available for Apple Silicon. I've also used a Yamaha S90XS on an out of town gig, no problems, and a Yamaha p-255 (which works without a driver.)
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Good news- thank u sir!

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There's another similar thread where MOTU has admitted they are having problems with their current MIDI devices working on the Studio. Since the legacy units such as my MTP-AV USB use the same drivers, I expect that, when MOTU solves that problem for the current units, old ones will work, too (as long as they have 2.0.1 firmware and 1.32 USB chips).

Till then, mine works fine with my M1 MBAir. It will be summer till I get a Studio. Perhaps they'll have it solved by then.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Good to know thank u

DAWdler

Post by DAWdler »

I just set up a Mac Studio. I cannot get it to recognize my MIDI Express XT. I had it set up on an M1 Mini the day before and it worked fine. Same OS on both. The MIDI Express XT shows up in System report on the USB bus but not in AudioMIDI setup. I have an 828ES that does shows up in AudioMIDI Setup as well as a number of MIDI controllers connected directly through USB. Just not the Express! What would be different on the Mac Studio from an M1 Mini?
Mac Studio Ultra, 828ES
Semi-retired Mac Pro
MacOS 12 DP11
Bunch of noise making things
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Great question. and I hope an answer is provided soon enough. I have a Mac Studio Ultra on order--arriving late June. I"m hoping MOTU will resolve the drivers so I can continue to use my ANCIENT but still very functional MTP-AV USB.

If it can't be made to work--I'll be asking for suggestions here for my next AS/M1-capable MIDI interface--- :-(

Greg
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

greg328 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:34 pm Great question. and I hope an answer is provided soon enough. I have a Mac Studio Ultra on order--arriving late June. I"m hoping MOTU will resolve the drivers so I can continue to use my ANCIENT but still very functional MTP-AV USB.

If it can't be made to work--I'll be asking for suggestions here for my next AS/M1-capable MIDI interface--- :-(

Greg
If you get your MOTIF operating via USB, you will have MIDI I/O for an external device available via the MOTIF itself
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Right and that is a temporary work-around but I have another hardware synth that needs to be on the MIDI network.

So I’ll need at least 2 ports of MIDI I/O at some point to fully-utilize my optimum setup.