MOTU Driver causing KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bluescreens randomly (MOTU 8A)

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Sphynx
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU Driver causing KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bluescreens randomly (MOTU 8A)

Post by Sphynx »

Hi there,
I've posted about some minor issues I had with the 8A before (audio output would randomly stop while launching certain applications, though the mixer panel / PC still showed audio playing).
Over time I was mostly able to fix those issues with windows settings + getting a dedicated USB 3 pcie card that only my 8A is plugged in to.
It seems like something with a recent windows update (past month or two) is causing a new conflict with the MOTU driver that is causing this kernel synchronization error due to some corruption with the driver.
I haven't been able to find a specific thing that triggers it yet. I have had it happen in the middle of streaming, I just had it happen when I lost audio (like the issue above) and went to the Motu panel and hit reboot device, and I've had it happen when my computer is just sitting idle in the middle of the night.
I have done virtually every troubleshooting step imaginable, from completely wiping and reinstalling all drivers and applications, to using a dedicated USB3 PCI card, etc. It seems to be a conflict with windows itself.
From everything I can tell there isn't much I can do on my end so I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the driver devs if at all possible. Love my 8A but these issues can be really frustrating (especially when they happen in the middle of a live stream). I have some images from event viewer of the most recent bluescreen. I can't find any other interactions with other drivers that might be causing any issues. The only other issue I have found is that for whatever reason MOTU Discovery keeps trying to "discover" my smarthome sprinkler controller for whatever reason. Event Viewer has that error going back quite a ways so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this issue. I'll include a shot of that too. If i can provide any other logs or anything else that might be helpful let me know.

Error Messages in event viewer:
Kernel Security Error

Motu Discovery Device Error (Keeps trying to talk to my sprinklers...)

Thanks in advance.
Sphynx

Re: MOTU Driver causing KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bluescreens randomly (MOTU 8A)

Post by Sphynx »

Just an update.

Updated to the newest firmware that just came out. Seemed relatively stable but I had audio die on me while starting Unity (common issue since I got the 8a) went to reboot from the web interface and my PC bluescreened with NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS which is a new crash I've never seen since owning my device.

Event viewer had the following info:

I can provide other info if needed. Seems like recent windows updates have been causing issues or I have some other driver conflict going on.
Until then I guess I'll just refrain from rebooting the device and instead deactivating it and reactivating it through the windows sound control panel, which usually seems to fix the dropped audio the same as a reboot does.
CharlzS

Re: MOTU Driver causing KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE bluescreens randomly (MOTU 8A)

Post by CharlzS »

Have you tried turning off the control box for the sprinkler system and rebooting the router to see if things clear up? The service discovery issue with the sprinklers may be a problem. That stuff is very low level so maybe MOTU tech support is best resource. Also, you only have the 8A connected to the computer with USB, right? Not both ethernet and USB?
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1