Connecting 2 MIDI keyboards in one audio interface

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Connecting 2 MIDI keyboards in one audio interface

Post by Gate 13 »

Hello,
I am not sure if this is the right category to post this.

Anyway, I have a StudioLogic keyboard with a MIDI out port which is connected to an M-audio keyboard's MIDI in port, and then the M-audio keyboard is connected to the computer through USB.
The MIDI in/out ports of my audio interface were never used.

This may be the reason why my studioLogic keyboard never sounded as loud as my M-Audio but I may be wrong.

(If I had only the M-audio keyboard then I would of course connect directly to the MIDI IN/OUT ports of my audio interface.)

The question is, having two MIDI keyboards is the way I am connecting them the right way?
Or, is there another way more efficient, regarding latency or other factors that I should consider?

Thank you!
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
HCMarkus

Re: Connecting 2 MIDI keyboards in one audio interface

Post by HCMarkus »

Your current approach should be fine. The M-Audio keyboard is just acting as a MIDI Interface.

Volume differences would most likely correspond to different keyboard velocity sensitivities. There may be a parameter on one or both you can adjust if you want them to match better.
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Yes but what concerns me is that I don't use the MIDI in/out ports in my audio interface.
Would it make a difference with audio quality/latency if in some way both MIDI controllers or at least one of them connected directly to the audio interface MIDI in/out ports?
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I use a 'MIDI Merge' box that's quite old, and never have any problems. No lag that would even be noticable.

I use a 76 key Roland Juno DS synth as my main MIDI conroller, and also use a 25 key MAudio Oxygen for 'keyswitching' of certain libraries. (that way, I don't have to do any octave switching of the keyswitches on my Roland and the Juno is great for creating customized DAW controls as you like them)

Both MIDI Outs go into the 'MIDI Merge' box, and the output from the box goes into my MOTU Traveler.

All MIDI information from both keyboards travel down the wires without problem.

Hope that helps a bit.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gate 13 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:14 am Yes but what concerns me is that I don't use the MIDI in/out ports in my audio interface.
Would it make a difference with audio quality/latency if in some way both MIDI controllers or at least one of them connected directly to the audio interface MIDI in/out ports?
This is off topic, but there's an issue with your user avatar. The site you're linking to for you image doesn't seem to be working. You should be able to upload an avatar image to this board, however.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

artfarm1 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:43 pm I use a 'MIDI Merge' box that's quite old, and never have any problems. No lag that would even be noticable.

I use a 76 key Roland Juno DS synth as my main MIDI conroller, and also use a 25 key MAudio Oxygen for 'keyswitching' of certain libraries. (that way, I don't have to do any octave switching of the keyswitches on my Roland and the Juno is great for creating customized DAW controls as you like them)

Both MIDI Outs go into the 'MIDI Merge' box, and the output from the box goes into my MOTU Traveler.

All MIDI information from both keyboards travel down the wires without problem.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks,
so is it possible to get this merge box and connect both MIDI keyboards, and then connect the merge box into the audio interface MIDI in port?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gate 13 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:17 am so is it possible to get this merge box and connect both MIDI keyboards, and then connect the merge box into the audio interface MIDI in port?
Yes, but why? Unless you are having issue that haven't been mentioned, your setup approach is perfect as-is. Your USB-connected keyboard is already taking care of that. If you check the MIDI Window in Audio-MIDI setup (on your Mac- Applications>Utilities), you can see the connections.
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Thank you!