How to separate out virtual inputs?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
DonSalamiii
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to separate out virtual inputs?

Post by DonSalamiii »

For applications outside of my DAW, when selecting an input, I am given two options: "In 1-2" and "In 1-24". How do I go about separating these out within the matrix so that I can get a proper dropdown menu of all of my inputs so that I may, for example, be able to select "SPDIF L + SPDIF R" or "ADAT B 7 + ADAT B 8" ? I've attached a screen capture link of what my matrix looks like. Thank you.
https://pasteboard.co/dc4vW7hJHrLU.png
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: How to separate out virtual inputs?

Post by CharlzS »

Not sure I have a good answer - the AVB interface presenting itself as a Windows Audio 1-24 device is still a mystery to me. Anyway, as a workaround if you want to change the input pair, just set the 'To Computer' 1 and 2 routing to the pair you want to use in the routing matrix. It's easiest to use the 1-2 MOTU Pro Audio stereo device as your input. If you want to use the Pro Audio 1-24 device, you'd need an app that can see all the inputs (i.e. Audacity using WASAPI), but that has plenty of issues also. Check with MOTU tech support to see if there's any way to have the device presented to Windows in stereo pairs like other non-AVB MOTU interfaces. That's probably the only way to get a drop down selection. ASIO is the best approach if available in the app - everything works and is properly labeled.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1