Questions for VE Pro 7 Server users

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Questions for VE Pro 7 Server users

Post by bkshepard »

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2nd Mac to use as a VE Pro server and have a couple of questions for those of you who have done that.
  1. My VIs and FX plugins are on my main computer in the standard plugins locations, and my sample libraries are on a drive stack connected to the main computer. Do I need to move those to the server computer, or do I just point the server to the current locations?
  2. I understand that Macs can be networked with a Thunderbolt connection. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing the network connection with TB rather than Ethernet?
  3. The specs for VEP say you need a Gigabit Ethernet connection. Is there any improvement if you use 10GbE?
  4. Once the server is configured and running, does it need keyboard/mouse/monitor, or can I just connect to it remotely to operate it?
Thanks in advance!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
mikehalloran

Re: Questions for VE Pro 7 Server users

Post by mikehalloran »

The specs for VEP say you need a Gigabit Ethernet connection. Is there any improvement if you use 10GbE?
Yes.

A few thoughts:

Two or more Macs with T2 chips can be combined into a 'supercomputer' through 10GbE. When the 2018 Mini was released, Apple was demonstrating groups of 5, 10 and 20 so linked crunching single AV and animation files. Interestingly, despite Apple's promise that this can be done, I've never seen a support doc that explains how you link them for this combined horsepower. Simply enabling File Sharing doesn't require the T2 (except to modify the Security settings) so I've never known what Apple was really promising — other than watching the 20-Mini demo in San Jose in 2018.

Whether or not this is better than hooking up a second Mini by TB3, I have no idea but it tells me that a 2017 iMac Pro, 2018 Mini with 10GbE or 2018 MBP should be the minimum consideration as any of these let you play with CAT 6a or TB3 cables and see what works best. There are TB3–10GbE adapters out there for the MPB.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862

In 2019, Apple was saying that the Mac Pro 7.1 eliminated the need for hosting VIs on slave machines—they didn't name VEP but everyone knew. The presentation did not give any specifics such as what level you needed or if any MP 7.1 had that much horsepower.

The new Studio, of course, has all the horsepower of the upper end 7.1 MPs plus, plus, plus. No one is expecting to use VEP Server with these. It's a good idea to have enough internal storage to host all your VIs, however, as the pipe for external storage is limited 2,800 Gb/s vs 7,000+ R/W for the internal SSDs on the Studio with 1TB or greater storage.

The Mini, MBAir, single-SSD MacPro and 512GB Studio are all rated a little over half that speed since the twin-bladed SSD arrays run at a modified RAID 0.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Thanks, Mike! My plan is to purchase one of the new Mac Studios as my primary computer and convert my current Mac Mini (2018) to the VEP server. Both computers have the capability of 10BbE as well as Thunderbolt. Given that I'll also need to connect them to the Interwebs, I'll probably use the Ethernet route and put a 10G switch between the two computers and then connect the switch to my router (1Gb). Their connection to the Interwebs will be limited to 1G, but they should be at 10G between each other.

Interesting thoughts on the necessity of VEP. My understanding of one of the main things VEP helped with was the loading and access to large sample templates for orchestra sequences. That's mostly what I do these days. Depending on which libraries I'm running, my current Mini starts to choke when I have just a few of the really big string libraries running. I've been advised by some of the folks at those companies that running with VEP will help immensely with the load and save times for projects using those libraries.
-Brian

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bkshepard wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:09 pm … I've been advised by some of the folks at those companies that running with VEP will help immensely with the load and save times for projects using those libraries.
Maybe. Since you're planning on getting a Studio, I'd hold off on the investment in VEP Server till you've tried it out.

Now that restrictions are easing, we should arrange a get together seeing how we're probably less than 20 miles away.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

FWIW....I'm happily using VEP7 on the same computer as DP11; an 'ancient' 2009 (5,1) with OSX High Sierra.

To be clear, I don't need gigantic orchestral templates or giga-banks of CPU-hungry super software synths ready to roll at a moments notice.

I create my setups on an as needed basis, which could include using Spitfire BBCSO Pro, Omnisphere, Falcon, Waves plugs, and other choices. Plus, I work a lot with actual audio recording.

I host everything in VEP7 and it really helps to give DP some room to 'breath'. If things start to get noisy, I'll just record audio or freeze and instrument that is pretty set for the moment. But for the most part I can keep everything running in real time.

I also use my hardware synths for some sounds, not just because they save CPU; they actually sound better for particular situations.

No problems. Everything works beautifully. I do dream of getting a nice used Macpro 7,1 in the future, or a trashcan Pro or something else with a bit more power. But I almost think that I have 'overkill' as it is, seeing as I still barely utilize all the musical toys I have to their full capacity.

It's like tennis...the racket is still 'better' than I am!

Anyways, VEP7 is wonderful and I can't imagine current life without it. It's saved me from having to upgrade computers over the last few years, and this coincides with MOTU DP just getting better and better.

And, this forum is still the best place to visit and learn what I need to know! Thanks to all!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

artfarm1 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:30 pm...this forum is still the best place to visit and learn what I need to know!
I couldn't agree more. Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I know we have some VEP remote server users on this forum and I'm hoping to get some info from some of them. I've been looking at this issue for some time and have thought through the questions of whether or not I need VEP and whether or not I want to run it remotely or on the same computer as my DAW. I do, and I do. Thus, I'm hoping some of the folks who have experience setting up and running VEP remotely might chime in on my technical questions.
  1. Do I need to move all my plugins and sample drives to the server, or can I leave them in their current locations and just point the server to those locations?
  2. Once the server is configured, can I run it "headless" from a network switch? I'm going to be upgrading my wired network to 10GbE.
Any insight on these questions, or any other tips, from those using VEP remotely would be greatly appreciated.
-Brian