Preview signatures

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Preview signatures

Post by gavspen »

Does anyone know where the jpegs of signatures that you can add to docs in Preview reside? I dont have a camera on my Mac, which is the only way they give you to get the sigs in there (or a trackpad, which I also dont have.) I have to go to my wife's laptop, down 2 flights of stairs, every time I want to add a sig. Très annoying.

If I could copy and paste the jpegs to the correct folder, that would work, right? I was hoping it would be obvious...Application Support.. but that would be waaaaay too easy. Where are they?

Thanks,
Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
mikehalloran

Re: Preview signatures

Post by mikehalloran »

gavspen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:25 am Does anyone know where the jpegs of signatures that you can add to docs in Preview reside? I dont have a camera on my Mac, which is the only way they give you to get the sigs in there (or a trackpad, which I also dont have.) I have to go to my wife's laptop, down 2 flights of stairs, every time I want to add a sig. Très annoying.

If I could copy and paste the jpegs to the correct folder, that would work, right? I was hoping it would be obvious...Application Support.. but that would be waaaaay too easy. Where are they?

Thanks,
Gavin
I don't have the answer to your question but I edit files in Preview all the time.

1) The easiest way is to export it as .png — now all the normal cut/copy/paste functions work exactly as you expect. My signature file is another .png — I open it, draw a box around the image and Copy, then Paste into my other file and move the image to the correct location, resize by dragging a corner as needed. Print to .pdf when done gives you a better image than Export to .pdf. In the Print preview box, I usually have to Scale the image back to a decent size.

2) Open the .pdf in Preview, use the Annotate/Text tool to type a signature and move the box into place. Save

3) This method is convoluted but it works:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... e%20image.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:21 am
I don't have the answer to your question but I edit files in Preview all the time.

1) The easiest way is to export it as .png — now all the normal cut/copy/paste functions work exactly as you expect. My signature file is another .png — I open it, draw a box around the image and Copy, then Paste into my other file and move the image to the correct location, resize by dragging a corner as needed. Print to .pdf when done gives you a better image than Export to .pdf. In the Print preview box, I usually have to Scale the image back to a decent size.

2) Open the .pdf in Preview, use the Annotate/Text tool to type a signature and move the box into place. Save

[/quote]

Thanks Mike. 1 and 3 are *sort of* the same thing, right? If you use method 2 the sig just looks like text though, correct?

Gavin
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

gavspen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:48 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:21 am

Thanks Mike. 1 and 3 are *sort of* the same thing, right? If you use method 2 the sig just looks like text though, correct?

Gavin
(3) keeps it as a pdf without converting to tiff/jpeg/png first. The result is the same. (1) takes less time which is why I normally use it but some locked documents won't let you.

(2) takes the least amount of time but it is text. When I was in (someone's) legal department, it was considered acceptable by the attorneys to whom I answered.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm not sure if this will help anyone, but I use this frequently when clients want a W-9 form, etc. and I have to sign and date PDFs. It was last updated in 2018 but working for me under Mojave. Not sure if it will work under later operating systems:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pdf-signe ... 1079?mt=12
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Thanks Guys. One or the other of these solutions will do it I'm sure.

In case you care, I asked Apple and the 1st level guy went off to talk to some higher level guy who said, it's complicated. When you take that pic of your sig in Preview, it gets encrypted in some way, and it isnt just "in a folder someplace". Oh well.