AVUSB and Expansion box.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
GarryN
Primary DAW OS: Windows

AVUSB and Expansion box.

Post by GarryN »

Hi all,
1st I'm looking for the " AVUSB " Chip Bin file Version 1.32 (firmware to some" for a MTP AV USB. If anyone have a download like please PM me or post here. Thanks !
=============================================================================================================================
I read an old post and got to thinking. The title of the post was >
Old MOTU (or otherwise) MIDI interface used as an expansion box?

This is my problem; I need more MIDI in's and out's.
I have a full MOTU MIDI Express XT USB 8x8 that is connected to my PC, but I prefer to use it in Standalone mode. When I read this old post here on net they said you could use an old Motu (MIDI Time Piece MTP AV as an expansion box to get more MIDI in and outs. The old MTP AV can work in standalone mode and could be connected to a USB MIDI interface.
Now here is the question" How would you make the Physical connection between the two units" without issues.

If I was to take 1 in and 1 out from the Express XT and connect to 1 in and 1 out on the MTP AV and then use the balance of the 7 MTP AV ports as in's and out's would this work in standalone mode? Also my guess is the computer would be able to talk to everything Via USB also.
If I am correct please let me know and If I am wrong, please shed some light.

I really would like to understand How I can expand My MIDI I/O without changing to a 16x16 interface. I know it cost nothing to pick up an Old MOTU (or otherwise) MIDI interface used as an expansion box?

Regards to all!
Thanks
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AVUSB and Expansion box.

Post by James Steele »

I'm not exactly sure I understand your situation entirely about "standalone mode" but I have an old MTP/AV connected to my Mac via USB (and it has the updated firmware and MIDI chip). Connected to it I have a very old original MTP which works as an expander and that is connected via an old Apple serial cable*. There's one of those old style connectors on the back of the MPT/AV and one on the MTP. That's how you connected an older unit. Otherwise, if the expander is a newer unit that has USB you use a USB hub as far as I know.

*corrected cable type
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

GarryN wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:10 pm
Now here is the question" How would you make the Physical connection between the two units" without issues.

If I was to take 1 in and 1 out from the Express XT and connect to 1 in and 1 out on the MTP AV and then use the balance of the 7 MTP AV ports as in's and out's would this work in standalone mode? Also my guess is the computer would be able to talk to everything Via USB also.
If I am correct please let me know and If I am wrong, please shed some light.

I really would like to understand How I can expand My MIDI I/O without changing to a 16x16 interface. I know it cost nothing to pick up an Old MOTU (or otherwise) MIDI interface used as an expansion box?

Regards to all!
Thanks
The old interfaces MTP II, MTP AV and MTP AV USB all had a 'network port'. You could use an Apple serial cable to connect units and expand to 16 ports - i.e. I had a MTP AV USB that had an MTP II used as an expansion via the Apple serial cable. You could probably come up with some type of routing scenario off the MIDI ports you described that may be able to handle what you want, but you need to consider latency and choke issues. My MTP AV USB is still going strong so old used units could me still viable.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
GarryN

Post by GarryN »

I forgot to mention I am using windows. Also I should say I received an old MTP AV USB and windows sees it but clock works opens with a black screen and show no routing. From what I understand that is a problem with the AVUSB Chip version. mine is 1.11 VERY OLD. 1st to resolve that problem I need to burn a new Eprom to version 1.32. Problem being I cannot seem to locate the Eprom " Bin " File..
any help appreciated.
Sorry this post has turned into two issues..
Regards to all.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well it may be that there just is no image available for burning as it was proprietary and MOTU hasn’t made it available? I haven’t seen a fine floating around anywhere and not sure of the legality.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe buy another used one with the correct chips and use the older one as the extender.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

GarryN wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:10 pm Hi all,
1st I'm looking for the " AVUSB " Chip Bin file Version 1.32 (firmware to some" for a MTP AV USB. If anyone have a download like please PM me or post here. Thanks !
=============================================================================================================================
I read an old post and got to thinking. The title of the post was >
Old MOTU (or otherwise) MIDI interface used as an expansion box?
1.32 EPROMs and 2.0.1 Firmware chips show up now and then on Reveb.com and eBay. I’ve never seen both at the same time, however, only one or the other. Somebody’s burning these now and then. I have no idea if they’re any good.

MOTU sold their last sets and took ‘em off the web site in 2012 when I bought my pair.

To be clear, 1.32 is not the Firmware but you do need it to be current. The Firmware will flash on the screen during startup and the version is also found on a sticker. EBay sellers will try to tell you differently but 2.0.1 is the only version that works anymore.

You want to see these when you pop the top.

In addition, it's a good idea to replace the memory settings battery every 5 years or so. It takes the ubiquitous CR2032 medical battery.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
GarryN

Post by GarryN »

Thanks for the great reply, Actually I found the AVUSB Bin file V1.32 today but now there is another catch. I can't find the IC Cypress Cy7C64013-PC. I have been a tech for over 40 years and when i see an IC so hard to locate I really get worried.
The MTP AV is in great shape I just can't get clockworks to show the routing, I get the famous Black screen. My AVUSB ic is version 1.11. LOL

Thanks
PS: Anyone have a virgin Cypress Cy7C64013-PC. out there?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just curious... does anyone know if the MTP/AVs will work with the M1 Macs? I can't imagine why not, but I hope they won't be obsolete down the line if I upgrade. Looks like I'll already have to update the audio interfaces.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

GarryN wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:09 pmActually I found the AVUSB Bin file V1.32 today...
Where did you find it? Mind sharing a link. I know a tech who MIGHT have some chips. I know he bought a number of chips some years ago when they were being sold as lots. I don't know if he has any of these, but I will ask. That said, before I would go so far as burning one I'd contact MOTU and see if they have a problem with it. They might not want me to, or they might say okay as long as one is not charging anything. Hard to tell what their position would be, but I won't bother asking unless some of those chips can be found.

Again, I do wonder if there's any reason these interfaces won't work with the M1 Macs?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:11 pm Just curious... does anyone know if the MTP/AVs will work with the M1 Macs? I can't imagine why not, but I hope they won't be obsolete down the line if I upgrade. Looks like I'll already have to update the audio interfaces.
I'll put it on my list of things to test. Are you in a hurry?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:12 pm
James Steele wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:11 pm Just curious... does anyone know if the MTP/AVs will work with the M1 Macs? I can't imagine why not, but I hope they won't be obsolete down the line if I upgrade. Looks like I'll already have to update the audio interfaces.
I'll put it on my list of things to test. Are you in a hurry?
Nope. Not at all. I won't be able to afford to make the jump for a while. I'm just trying to get an idea of what will need to be replaced when I do for planning purposes. There's a guy locally who's selling an MTP/AV on Craigslist. Before I sink even a small amount of money in that, (assuming it's got the right chips in it), I figured I better find out. I was thinking of getting it to replace my original MTP that is connected to the network port of my MTP/AV, but if it's not future proof then best just hold off. The more I think about it, even if they work with M1 Macs, will there be a M1 compatible version of Clockworks? I'm just not up on all of this.

The guy selling says it works fine and claims he has "used it on a mac plus, pc, power pc, cheese grater and trash can mac all without any problems." The glaring issue there is it could not have been USB on the Mac Plus. I asked him to pop the top and see if it had the 2.01 and 1.32 chips and haven't heard back.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Mine works on my iMac Pro over Monterey — so does my 828mkII — but I don't use Clockworks. It will be awhile before my next audio/MIDI tracking session but I'll attempt it over those two machines onto my wife's MBAir M1 where I'm doing some beta testing of this and that.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, don't know if there's much I would need to do with Clockworks anyway? I really don't need to use it to sync to longitudinal SMPTE... lol... but just want it for a plain old basic MIDI interface and as long as MacOS Audio MIDI Setup recognizes it. I guess there still has to be MIDI drivers installed though? Oh well. Thanks Mike.

GarryN

Post by GarryN »

Just an update. I burned a version 1.32 AVUSB Chip and the Motu MTP AV USB is now seen by windows and works perfect. There are some chips available on Flee Bay and Reverb for sale now. The firmware in my unit was already 2.xxxx. Hope this helps someone. By the way, my clockworks now populates.

I am still wondering besides the USB to PC connection how to make a physical MIDI connection between my Express EX and the MTPAV ?