Monitor Shifting Resolutions on Startup

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monitor Shifting Resolutions on Startup

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey Mac OS Wizards.......
I recently added a nice, 32" 4k LG monitor for my single-monitor setup (late 2013 Mac Pro, Big Sur). I have the display scaled down to 3360x1890. On startup, the white Apple icon and progress bar start larger, then—about halfway through the startup process—they switch to the correct size. Consequently, all my app windows get moved every time I start up my machine.

Is there anyway to get the Mac to boot up at the resolution it's set to (without switching resolutions during startup)?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Re: Monitor Shifting Resolutions on Startup

Post by mikehalloran »

On startup, the white Apple icon and progress bar start larger, then—about halfway through the startup process—they switch to the correct size.
Normal if you haven't selected the Default profile and/or resolution. My iMac Pro does that every time I boot.
Consequently, all my app windows get moved every time I start up my machine.
Ok, that's weird. I've not seen that unless I've booted up in a different mode first such as Safe or Recovery — then my windows open on the center screen and I have to put them back to my side monitors.

There might be a setting somewhere but nothing is coming to me.

You've changed the resolution but are you using the Default Profile? If so, try changing to another and see what happens.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Re: Monitor Shifting Resolutions on Startup

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Consequently, all my app windows get moved every time I start up my machine.
Ok, that's weird. I've not seen that unless I've booted up in a different mode first such as Safe or Recovery — then my windows open on the center screen and I have to put them back to my side monitors.

There might be a setting somewhere but nothing is coming to me.

You've changed the resolution but are you using the Default Profile? If so, try changing to another and see what happens.
Thanks, Mike, for the reply and ideas. I tried a couple different color profiles, but no effect on the resolution of window movement.

To be more specific, I like to tuck the control panel for my Apogee interface into the bottom right corner of the screen. After startup, it's floating up and to the left, as if it repositioned itself into the bottom right corner at the lower resolution, and then was left hanging closer to the middle after the resolution self-switched to a higher setting.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net