828 mk2 no sound from main outs

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tabbyfl55
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828 mk2 no sound from main outs

Post by tabbyfl55 »

I recently fired up my 828 mk2 after a long time of non-use. I played a sound file in Cakewalk Sonar. To the best of my awareness, everything is configured correctly. Both Sonar and Cuemix meters show signal being sent to the main outs. But when I plug a headphone into the main outs, there is no sound coming out. If I plug the same headphones into the headphone jack on the 828, I hear the expected sound.

What could I be missing, or could both the 828's main outs have failed while everything else seems to be working?
CharlzS

Re: 828 mk2 no sound from main outs

Post by CharlzS »

tabbyfl55 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 pm But when I plug a headphone into the main outs, there is no sound coming out.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'plug a headphone into the main outs'.
When in doubt you can always try a factory reset: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/reset
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
tabbyfl55

Post by tabbyfl55 »

I tried the factory reset. Is it at all concerning that the LCD is so dim I can only read it by shining a flashlight on it?

There is no change in the issue with no sound coming from the main outs.

A new issue has arisen, however: At random intervals, an awful sounding white noise comes from the headphones output.

Maybe the unit is just at end of life?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

I bought one of the last 828mkIIs made in a close-out sale 2007; the mk3 was introduced at NAMM a week or two later. That was 14 years ago. Mine still runs as new but it was never in constant use as I only connected it when tracking. Now that I have my Air 192]14, it sits on a shelf and gets dusted now and then. I last used it to test MIDI and audio with my iMac Pro over Catalina — works beautifully but haven't needed it during lockdown.

There are many threads here and on Gearslutz addressing all of the age related issues, screens, backlights (one of your problems), power supply caps, FW ports, cold solder joints etc. Google is your friend.

Sometimes, these can be brought back to life with a good cleaning. Open it up, burnish all the connections and ribbon cables by disconnecting and reconnecting three times. Look for bulging supply caps, discoloration on the PCB board etc. in case you want to tackle these yourself.

The local tech I use charges a 1-hour minimum of $175 and everything he does for me seems to take two hours. If not willing to look into it yourself, it may be time to replace it. Unfortunately, the mkII is too old for MOTU's $99 refurb exchange program.

There are used 828mk3 and 828x on eBay in the $300 range. A new 828mk3 Hybrid runs $749 or $699 for open box. Just sayin' …
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gnojechowicz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 828 mk2 no sound

Post by gnojechowicz »

Hi there, have a MOTU 828 mkii that has been working beautifully up ‘till last week :-(. My systems: MacBook Pro 2015 - Catalina 10.15. FocusRite pre 8. The MOTU’s light is flashing 44 and there is no sound. I tried a factory reset and nothing. Is the 828 mkii too old at this point? Is there a way to fix it? It is a great machine that has worked for years and I would like to keep it. R Please advise. Thank you!!