For each plugin I need to add an AUX track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
harmonicaman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

For each plugin I need to add an AUX track?

Post by harmonicaman »

I have 3 mono tracks
I need to add reverb , EQ , Compressor

Each will have different values so does that mean I have to add 3 Aux track for each audio track ?

That is a lot
Thanks in advance
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: For each plugin I need to add an AUX track?

Post by James Steele »

harmonicaman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:47 am I have 3 mono tracks

Each will have different values so does that mean I have to add 3 Aux track for each audio track ?

That is a lot
It sounds as if you will need to use INSERTS, not Aux Tracks... especially in the case of EQ and Compressors. You may be able to use an Aux Track for a Reverb and then just use Aux SENDS on each track to adjust the amount of Reverb.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
harmonicaman
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by harmonicaman »

James Steele wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:39 am
harmonicaman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:47 am I have 3 mono tracks

That is a lot
It sounds as if you will need to use INSERTS, not Aux Tracks... especially in the case of EQ and Compressors. You may be able to use an Aux Track for a Reverb and then just use Aux SENDS on each track to adjust the amount of Reverb.
OK thanks so what you are saying ( I do not know about DAW terms ) . I think you mean by insert use for example EQ and compressor on that specific track while you use an Aux track for time based plugins like revert and delay . Did I understand you correctly ? That is what you mean by the word insert ?
Thanks in advance
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

Inserts are DP's way of putting FX "units" into the channel. (Even aux channels).

In the mixer window, in the upper section of each channel, you'll see little empty rectangles. Those are the insert slots. They go in series from top to bottom so the output of the track feeds the first insert, and the output of the first insert FX feeds the 2nd. The output of the last insert is what you are controlling with the fader. Clicking on one of those insert "blanks" brings up a plugin picker.

It's typical (and a good idea) to have inserts your track/channel such that each has a dedicated EQ and even compression (if needed).

When you want to feed the output of more than one channel into an effect (This is called a "send effect" as opposed to an insert effect) you use a combination of the aux sends on the each channel (any of which can be assigned to various outputs and buses) along with an aux track which will "host" the reverb (as an insert on that aux track). Now you feed a little (or a lot) of each track to what ever the input of that aux track is set to.

:rtfm:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com