DP 11.02 - Incompatible with M-Audio AIR 192|4 ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
iTrensharo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP 11.02 - Incompatible with M-Audio AIR 192|4 ?

Post by iTrensharo »

Recently got DP (11.02), and for some reason it will not work with this interface. Just throws an error message and I cannot start the application unless I drop down to Windows Audio.

Has anyone dealt with this and have a solution?

I've tried pretty much every combination of Buffer Size and Sample Rate.

I've tried it on two separate PCs with the same issue.

The same interface works with innumerable other audio/video applications without issue. It's just DP that has an issue with it.

Image of the Error Message: https://imgur.com/VsXY6su

Drivers are up to date and everything.

TIA.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11.02 - Incompatible with M-Audio AIR 192|4 ?

Post by mikehalloran »

M-Audio has phone support as does MOTU. The Air 192|x series is a popular interface but Windows ASIO drivers can be a bit of a clown car till you find the combination that works for everything you have installed. I’d call MOTU first.

My Air 192|14 is my go-to but I’m on a Mac where it supports Core Audio without 3rd party drivers.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
iTrensharo

Post by iTrensharo »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 am M-Audio has phone support as does MOTU. The Air 192|x series is a popular interface but Windows ASIO drivers can be a bit of a clown car till you find the combination that works for everything you have installed. I’d call MOTU first.

My Air 192|14 is my go-to but I’m on a Mac where it supports Core Audio without 3rd party drivers.
Already contacted MOTU. Basically, they just asked me to check Buffer, Sample Rate, etc.

I've been using this interface for well over a year. The issue is absolutely not the ASIO driver.

The only application that I've run into issues with is Digital Performer.

I also tested it on a second machine, and it gives the same issue. Works in everything else, but not in Digital Performer.

If they can't fix it, I'm going to inquire about a refund. I wish I had taken this interface with me when I was traveling, as I would have noticed this issue when I ran the trial and avoided dumping hundreds on it.

I'm not going to contact M-Audio as it is a waste of their (and my) time, as the issue does not lie with their hardware or their driver. It's a DP issue. I am not willing to spend money to fix it. If the interface wasn't basically flawless everywhere except DP, I'd be more inclined to do so - but in my situation that is a just too wasteful a solution to accept.

Thanks for your response, but I was hoping that other Windows users could validate whether or not this hardware has worked for them using this DAW.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

iTrensharo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 am M-Audio has phone support as does MOTU. The Air 192|x series is a popular interface but Windows ASIO drivers can be a bit of a clown car till you find the combination that works for everything you have installed. I’d call MOTU first.

Already contacted MOTU. Basically, they just asked me to check Buffer, Sample Rate, etc.

I've been using this interface for well over a year. The issue is absolutely not the ASIO driver.

I also tested it on a second machine, and it gives the same issue. Works in everything else, but not in Digital Performer.

If they can't fix it, I'm going to inquire about a refund. I wish I had taken this interface with me when I was traveling, as I would have noticed this issue when I ran the trial and avoided dumping hundreds on it.

I'm not going to contact M-Audio as it is a waste of their (and my) time, as the issue does not lie with their hardware or their driver. It's a DP issue. I am not willing to spend money to fix it. If the interface wasn't basically flawless everywhere except DP, I'd be more inclined to do so - but in my situation that is a just too wasteful a solution to accept.

Thanks for your response, but I was hoping that other Windows users could validate whether or not this hardware has worked for them using this DAW.
Sorry, I have been recommending these for awhile now and my Windows users are not having these problems.

I don't know which ASIO drivers you are using but I'm pretty confident that's where your problem is going to be.

I will not argue that M-Audio Support isn't brain dead and doen't know their own products.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
iTrensharo

Post by iTrensharo »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:37 pm
iTrensharo wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Sorry, I have been recommending these for awhile now and my Windows users are not having these problems.

I don't know which ASIO drivers you are using but I'm pretty confident that's where your problem is going to be.

I will not argue that M-Audio Support isn't brain dead and doen't know their own products.
It's hard to fault the ASIO driver when every other DAW and NLE works with it - DP is the only outlier.

In any case, they refunded my purchase shortly after my last reply, so it's a "resolved" issue.

M-Audio Support is bad, but I've only had to deal with it when I ran DP. Once I got my money back, they went back to being the best kind of support one could ask for... "unnecessary."
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are many forums and user groups where a user claims that Windows audio works fine for all other applications — except for the one that's being discussed, of course. No reason to believe that they aren't all correct with regards to their systems.

Again, none of my M-Audio Air users on Windows using DP or Performer Lite are having these problems but I'm sorry that you did.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:14 pm There are many forums and user groups where a user claims that Windows audio works fine for all other applications — except for the one that's being discussed, of course. No reason to believe that they aren't all correct with regards to their systems.

Again, none of my M-Audio Air users on Windows using DP or Performer Lite are having these problems but I'm sorry that you did.
This same person has posted on Gearspace and VI-Control about what a mess DP11 is because his VSTs keep disapearing. So it's multiple issues. He has some sort of configuration conflict with DP that makes it behave badly. I don't blame him, I think MOTU are letting some weird stuff out of beta because the team isn't large enough. Usually a few people have chimed in with similar problems so he's not alone. Conversely I zoom with at least 6 Windows users that have no issue with DP. That makes me think the beta team needs to grow, because I doubt they would let this slip, so the pool is small enough to where their configurations aren't being affected.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:57 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:14 pm There are many forums and user groups where a user claims that Windows audio works fine for all other applications — except for the one that's being discussed, of course. No reason to believe that they aren't all correct with regards to their systems.

This same person has posted on Gearspace and VI-Control about what a mess DP11 is because his VSTs keep disapearing. So it's multiple issues. He has some sort of configuration conflict with DP that makes it behave badly. I don't blame him, I think MOTU are letting some weird stuff out of beta because the team isn't large enough. Usually a few people have chimed in with similar problems so he's not alone. Conversely I zoom with at least 6 Windows users that have no issue with DP. That makes me think the beta team needs to grow, because I doubt they would let this slip, so the pool is small enough to where their configurations aren't being affected.
Lots of times, when drilled down, it becomes "(x driver) is needed for (game I've never heard of) to work so it's (Finale/Dorico/DP/other app)'s fault and (parent company) won't do anything about it."

Microsoft could do something about this but they'd be seen as bad as Apple — or something like that, I suppose.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:33 pm Lots of times, when drilled down, it becomes "(x driver) is needed for (game I've never heard of) to work so it's (Finale/Dorico/DP/other app)'s fault and (parent company) won't do anything about it."

Microsoft could do something about this but they'd be seen as bad as Apple — or something like that, I suppose.
Not letting Mac OS off the hook completely here. I once had an issue where sync was wonky as it gets in Live, but DP was only slightly affected, it was useable anyway. I raised hell with Ableton about it, and eventually I decided to disable the Logitech driver and see if that helped. Fixed all sync issues. Using the third party USB Overdrive App driver did not interrupt the sync stream at all. It turned out Ableton had had it up to here with people claiming Live wasn't syncing properly and had polled the USB ports at twice the rate of DP, so twice as many issues. I gave up on Logitech drivers couple years ago, USB Overdrive works better anyway. Plus Logitech don't support Monterey with my old mouse.

Now that was a simple driver issue, on Windows you can have IRQ conflicts and registry issues. I don't know if it's still true, but you would install a driver to a specific USB port, and it would only work on that port. I'm not at all blaming OP here, it's just that there's a lot of ways some specific shared bit of software between him and other people that have this disappearing VST and audio driver incompatibility issue can mess everything up. This is absolutely the most likely scenario.

I think it's very possible that this is a beta team issue, not because the people doing the testing aren't good but because there's probably a disproportionate amount of dual booters that use Windows, but primarily use Mac OS. They could probably use some more Windows only beta testers, people who will instal enough applications to have driver, IRQ, or other issues that people are getting.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:51 pmI gave up on Logitech drivers couple years ago, USB Overdrive works better anyway. Plus Logitech don't support Monterey with my old mouse.
Thanks for this timely reminder. I haven't been happy with the Logitech Control Center with my M510 mouse. I remember updating it once and it just being horrible so I had to stick to an earlier installer. I just downloaded, installed, and purchased USB Overdrive and it's already an improvement. I can scroll horizontally with the tilt-wheel and assign it to Accelerated Scroll and it's no longer sluggish like before. I guess using a 4K display as my main monitor... what seemed to scroll fast on a smaller screen looks like molasses on a bigger screen.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!