"No license found" for legacy MOTU Instruments

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dix »

Recently moved to a new computer and I can't load older MachFive 3 .ufs libraries into Falcon or the UVI Workstation. Trying to load the Telematic, JBass, F Grand 278 etc .ufs files I get: "No license found...Run iLok manager to ensure activation is available.." iLok Manager show that MachFive 3 is authorized, as is "MOTU Instruments". All other UVI libraries load np.

A lot of old sequences need these instruments, plus I still love the Telematic library. Does anyone know how to authorize them?

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: "No license found" for legacy MOTU Instruments

Post by James Steele »

I think I found the post you need:

viewtopic.php?p=589020#p589020

Look for the post from SMS. I think it involves running DP in Rosetta?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks James....I did search, but didn't use the right search terms I guess.

Not really a good solution, but this is helpful none the less. Yes, running DP in Rosetta does allow these to load, but DP runs horribly like this. Since MachFive is abandoned this doesn't bode well for these libraries. It's unlikely anyone will ever ever update the .ufs files, which I guess is what would have to happen? ...seems strange that Falcon can open other .ufs's that have not been updated while running natively, but not these.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

dix wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 pm Thanks James....I did search, but didn't use the right search terms I guess.

Not really a good solution, but this is helpful none the less. Yes, running DP in Rosetta does allow these to load, but DP runs horribly like this. Since MachFive is abandoned this doesn't bode well for these libraries. It's unlikely anyone will ever ever update the .ufs files, which I guess is what would have to happen? ...seems strange that Falcon can open other .ufs's that have not been updated while running natively, but not these.
They probably charge nominal fee to upgrade your iLok licenses, and MOTU aren't going anywhere with M53, it's pretty much deprecated. :smash:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Crazy thought... maybe try running the standalone Falcon app under Rosetta, open the .UFS volume and leave it in the background and then launch DP and see if the plug in can access it since it's opened by the Falcon app?

Couple other crazy ideas:
A) Run Falcon standalone in Rosetta and then somehow route MIDI to it from DP? Can IAC do this?

B) Or... I think this might have better chance of working... open Falcon plug-in in Vienna Ensemble Pro Server in Rosetta and run it in the background and then run DP native and VEP can be a shell for Falcon?

Just kinda spitballing here. I don't have an M1 Mac and probably won't for a year or two.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don’t have a new Mac, but did have problems with Falcon not recognizing a few old MachFive libs. I went to the UVI Portal and saw that according to UVI, those libraries were licensed but not installed. UVI Support told me that at leas one of the libraries was out of date and should simply be reinstalled.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

The UVI Portal doesn't show the old MachFive3 libraries. It only knows about my UVI libraries. BUT:
James Steele wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:43 pmB) Or... I think this might have better chance of working... open Falcon plug-in in Vienna Ensemble Pro Server in Rosetta and run it in the background and then run DP native and VEP can be a shell for Falcon?
Yes, this works! VEP for MAS doesn't work yet with M1s of course but the AU version does, and this is a far better workaround than running DP in Rosetta. Thanks for that suggestion James!

The UVI-compatible MachFive3 libraries were actually created by a company called AcousticSamples. They still sell them. I found a post from them on their KVR forum that says if you contact them they'll switch the license: "It’s basically a license change so that you’re able to use it without an ilok key and without your machfive license". I'll check it out and report back here.
oldecuriosity

Post by oldecuriosity »

dix wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:36 pm The UVI-compatible MachFive3 libraries were actually created by a company called AcousticSamples. They still sell them. I found a post from them on their KVR forum that says if you contact them they'll switch the license: "It’s basically a license change so that you’re able to use it without an ilok key and without your machfive license". I'll check it out and report back here.
I actually posted this in a similar thread . . . I was able to purchase a new license from AcousticSamples to update the libraries, and it worked great so I was able run everything natively. The only issue is that not all the M5 libraries are available, as some were created by other companies. Still, better than nothing . . . .

DP 11
iMac M1 (24-inch, 2021) 16GB RAM
OS X 11.6.2
dix

Post by dix »

oldecuriosity wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:53 pm I actually posted this in a similar thread . . . I was able to purchase a new license from AcousticSamples to update the libraries, and it worked great so I was able run everything natively. The only issue is that not all the M5 libraries are available, as some were created by other companies. Still, better than nothing . . . .
Hmm. “Purchase” the license?. Do you happen to remember how much? The KVR thread didn’t mention the cost.

I think I’d be OK with just the Telematic license. I still use that frequently. Although having them all would be great. They are all totally viable still.
oldecuriosity

Post by oldecuriosity »

dix wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:11 pm Hmm. “Purchase” the license?. Do you happen to remember how much? The KVR thread didn’t mention the cost.

I think I’d be OK with just the Telematic license. I still use that frequently. Although having them all would be great. They are all totally viable still.
I think it was 20 euros for each library (my credit card converted it to around $22.50). One of the libraries that I upgraded was the Telematic and they even had an updated version of it.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a solution for the “Universal Loop & Instruments” or “Biosphere” libraries yet. F-Grand is available through UVI, but part of a suite with other pianos; with so many piano options out there, I’m not too broken up about that one. For me, it was worth upgrading what I can since I’m trying to run everything natively and move on from M5. Not the easiest divorce, but at least it’s not the most expensive either . . . .

DP 11
iMac M1 (24-inch, 2021) 16GB RAM
OS X 11.6.2
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks. Yeah, $22.50 per to update is irritating, but doable and not unexpected.

Re Universal Loops and Biosphere, If you have VEP James’ suggestion above will work for the time being. Once VEP goes native, presumably that solution will evaporate unfortunately.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote:Once VEP goes native, presumably that solution will evaporate unfortunately.
I don’t have an M1 Mac, but don’t AS native apps have some sort of check box in the Get Info to tell an app to run under Rosetta? Wouldn’t VEP Server have this also after it goes native?

dix

Re:

Post by dix »

James Steele wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm
dix wrote:Once VEP goes native, presumably that solution will evaporate unfortunately.
I don’t have an M1 Mac, but don’t AS native apps have some sort of check box in the Get Info to tell an app to run under Rosetta? Wouldn’t VEP Server have this also after it goes native?
It would/will, but ideally one’d want to be Rosetta free. Plus at some point down the line MacOS will be AS only.