String Libraries

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Frodo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

String Libraries

Post by Frodo »

Hey folks! Happy belated 2022!

Here's an audio-only comparison of 20 string libraries that start with an excerpt from a real string ensemble. I found it enlightening in many ways. I have my favorites and will reserve my opinions unless a constructive conversation about them ensues. I'm curious as to what you think.

Granted-- they use a classical slow movement excerpt from Bruckner in each case (beautiful, it is) which may not speak to the needs for pop or rock, but I found it a good bit of listening notwithstanding.

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this if you're interested in delving into string libraries.

The YouTube timeline is nicely chaptered as follows:

The excerpts are segmented in the timeline. The first segment is a real string orchestra— the Amsterdam Sinfonietta.

Afterwards, the virtual instruments:

2. Spitfire Appassionata Strings

3. Spitfire Chamber Strings

4. Spitfire Symphonic Strings

5. Spitfire Studio Strings

6. Cinesamples CineStrings

7. East West Hollywood Strings

8. Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings A

9. Orchestral Tools Berlin Strings B

10. Cinematic Studio Strings, not to be confused with #6.

11. Audio Imperia Areia

12. Audio Imperia Jaeger

13. 8Dio Century Ensemble

14. 8Dio Agitato

15. 8Dio Anthology

16. Strezov Afflatus Lush Legato

17. Strezov Afflatus Minimalist Legato

18. Strezov Scene d’Amore Legato (aka: love scene)

19. Nashvilled Audiooille Scoring Strings

20. Fluffy Audio Venice Modern Strings

21. Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings Library

There you go. If you're looking for a fresh string library, these are all worth considering.

Cheers!
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Frodo

Re: String Libraries

Post by Frodo »

It would help if I posted the link, wouldn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6BzkMqLwKQ
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hey there Mr. Frodo! Thanks for sharing and happy New Year to ya' :D
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That's an interesting listen. It looks like the poster used the same sequence for all the segments. Is that right? Is that a fair comparison? Wouldn't each library need it's own tweaks to get the best? Perhaps since the comparison is Appassionata versus the rest, this is the one with the most suitable sequence?

Anyway, I'll make some comments, if only to get others to reply so I can learn something about string libraries. I liked the Appassionata and Venice Modern more than the others, with the edge to Venice. Instrument noise or whatever it is was a bit of a distraction in the Appassionata, and if anything is more noticeable in the other Spitfire libs. I was considering buying this library, but now I'll listen more carefully to some others.

A few of the libraries sounded quite harsh in the louder middle part. Other had attacks that are too "whooshy" for me. A few had odd sounding releases on some instruments. A couple had bass that sounds like a synth. One sounded like some of the samples had been recorded in a very different location from the others.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 amWouldn't each library need its own tweaks to get the best?
Methinks you struck that nail firmly on its head, bays. But the comparison is still interesting.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:59 pm
bayswater wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 amWouldn't each library need its own tweaks to get the best?
Methinks you struck that nail firmly on its head, bays. But the comparison is still interesting.
Interesting yes. For one thing, while none of the libraries are as good overall as the “real” thing, some of the phrases sound better in some of the libraries than they do in the “real” recording. To me, anyway. Not necessarily more authentic.

Another thing — a lot of the libraries are good at some things, but none of them are good at everything, even within the limited range required for this piece.

I’d like to see what other think are the best and why.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Another thing — a lot of the libraries are good at some things, but none of them are good at everything, even within the limited range required for this piece.
Amen.

Frodo, thanks for sharing this. Although I have a few string libraries, I don't have any of these.

My 2¢

Being a double-bassist and cellist in a former life, 8Dio Agitato grabbed my gut—probably something I should get someday. Audioollie Nashville Scoring Strings's aggressive attacks made me wonder how much rosin had to be cleaned up after the session—pass. I had been eyeballing Fluffy Audio Venice Modern Strings for next time they go on sale and am now thinking my money might be better spent elsewhere.

I get that the point is to drum up sales for the Spitfire Appassionata Strings @ the $179 intro but I don't hear anything special. Perhaps if I had nothing else…

I wish that some of the NI collections had been included since so many of us have those but I'll live.

Happy New year!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:11 pmI get that the point is to drum up sales for the Spitfire Appassionata Strings @ the $179 intro but I don't hear anything special.
I agree there is nothing special. It’s more what you don’t hear — strange attacks and releases, harsh highs, odd micing, etc. And the Venice, again, nothing special but maybe a little less of these these things. And at twice the price of many of the others, including Appassionata, not on my shopping list either.