DP for Broadway Scores

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Icewoz
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP for Broadway Scores

Post by Icewoz »

Has anyone used DP to assist with a Broadway score?

Also, does DP offer a "score" view where I can edit notes instead of using the "piano roll" format?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP for Broadway Scores

Post by mikehalloran »

Look up QuickScribe in the manual. Best to search the manuals in pdf form with the Control f keys then use the arrows to scroll through the pages that mention it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Icewoz
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Icewoz »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:49 pm Look up QuickScribe in the manual. Best to search the manuals in pdf form with the Control f keys then use the arrows to scroll through the pages that mention it.
Thanks. What I need to know is if I make changes in QuickScribe, does that update in my song/project as well? I want to be able to change notes and have it update my track as well for that part.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Yes, Quickscribe is a display of the data in the track. When you make a change in Quickscribe you are directly changing the data in the track.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Kurt Cowling wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 pm Yes, Quickscribe is a display of the data in the track. When you make a change in Quickscribe you are directly changing the data in the track.
There are a few exceptions to this, but generally yes. And the exceptions you actually have to proactively create those differences. But your goal of editing tracks via quickscribe is what it is for.

As for using it for parts/score, DP lacks some important notation features, so I'd consider it only useful for early drafts.

If I was trying to score a musical, I'd use DP for the composition part, and as soon as those ideas were far enough along, I'd shift to another notation program (probably via standard MIDI file) and then start working on the notation.

There are lots of things to think about in musical theater books. Having played many shows, I notice and appreciate when the books are well-crafted. That includes rehearsal numbers, clear notation, tasteful writing for the instrument, working out good places for page turns, and little cues when needed. You may already know that stuff. It's on my mind because I'm now playing a show where the books are a steaming pile of mess.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com