learning performer lite will that help with digital performer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: learning performer lite will that help with digital performer

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:09 pm Where the heck did the DP4 comparison come from?
The comparison came from MOTU.

The original PL manual was the one for DP4 with a little Windows info thrown in and was horribly done—DP4 was mentioned quite a few times in it as was the Waveform Editor that did/does not exist plus references to pages that weren't there. That was fixed to some extent in the second version and it now appears to be correct with this third version — finally.

There are a few old threads about that.
bayswater wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:31 pm I don’t see the Waveform editor as much of an advantage. It might be if it worked with the sequence instead of being specific to the waveform. I use it to edit beats, but that could just as easily be done in the SE.
When dealing with casual users whose recording skills are not very good, the Waveform Editor can accomplish tasks not possible any other way.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:37 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:09 pm Where the heck did the DP4 comparison come from?
The comparison came from MOTU.

The original PL manual was the one for DP4 with a little Windows info thrown in and was horribly done—DP4 was mentioned quite a few times in it as was the Waveform Editor that did/does not exist plus references to pages that weren't there. That was fixed to some extent in the second version and it now appears to be correct with this third version — finally.

There are a few old threads about that.
OK caught it.
Performer Lite is a port of DP 4
That's a strange conclusion to come to IMO.

So the manual was initially thrown together badly, agreed, but I think you're jumping to conclusions that don't make a lot of sense to think that Performer Lite isn't a stripped down version of 10-11 and is instead a hyped up version of v4. Specifically there are new stretch algorithms and the new Clips object oriented MIDI, looping etc. etc. They messed up the manual big time I remember that, but it wouldn't make any sense to use v4 code directly for Lite, just strip out big features from 11 etc. like every developer does for their lite version. It most definitely is set up to introduce you to 11. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

From the original release of the Lite manual. It looked like an edit of the DP 4 manual and made references to DP 4, and the DP 4 Getting Started manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8