Motu 8Pre USB causing BSOD

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
dovetails
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu 8Pre USB causing BSOD

Post by dovetails »

So I purchased a Motu 8Pre USB to use with my PC. It works some days, but most days it completely crashes my PC. I'm wondering if anyone has any remedies to help, because MOTU support has hit a dead end.

PC Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Build: 19043.1466
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core
Mobo: MSI Gaming Plus X570
DAW: Ableton Live 11

MOTU Audio Console Driver: 4.0.8.9606
(Has been uninstalled, and re-installed, no changes). I typically run in 96kHz - which may be the issue (see below)

Issue:

If my PC is already on, and the 8Pre is off, and I flip the switch to turn it on, it will try to initiate and load it up. My sound control panel will flicker a few times, and then I can change Window's Output Device to MOTU Main Out (1-2). 75% of the time, I will get a Windows BSOD error a few seconds after, with the following issue:

Stop Code: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
What Failed: MFWAWAVE64.sys

When I originally reached out to MOTU support, I was given a guide on changing the power/sleep settings of my PC. I made all the necessary adjustments, including: Disabling USB Power Management, Disabling USB Selective Suspend, & Disabling Fast Startup

I was also told to Disable Windows Exclusive mode - which I am familiar with because almost every Windows USB audio interface needs this to be disabled, in order for your DAW's audio engine to not take over. The problem I have with that, is that I do not have the typical "Advanced" tab in my audio options which has the option to uncheck the "Give Windows Exclusive.. etc" button. This is missing ONLY when I'm in 96kHz. Instead, I see a "Support Format" tab: (https://cdn-data.motu.com/django_prod/t ... rago_4.png) The advanced tab is availble, as is the Exclusive option, when I set my Sample rate to 44.1kHz/48kHz in MOTU Audio Console first.

I do not have this BSOD issue when I switch my sample rate to 44.1kHz, or 48kHz in MOTU Audio Console. You could argue that "well, just run in 44.1/48k", but I feel that that's a totally unreasonable answer to my problem. I record in 96kHz, and I should not have to lower my sample rate, simply because this MOTU device is having an issue with Windows. This is what tells me that something is wrong with 96kHz + Windows. But no other interface has given me this issue, so I feel like it must be on MOTU's end(?)

Yesterday, I ran into the BSOD issue again, but was instead presented with the following error:

Stop Code: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
What Failed: Motufwa64.sys

Different from the MFWAWAVE64.sys failure, but MOTU says that the KMODE stop code is a windows problem, but gave me nothing to try out.

I'm at my wit's end. I've never had this problem with Focusrite devices, and even the infamous Universal Audio USB/Windows compatibility never handed me these problems. I sold, and upgraded from a UA Twin Solo USB because I needed more inputs, but now I have buyer's remorse.

I'm interested in any sort of possible help, and I appreciate everyone who gives some input. Thanks!