M1: The end of Bootcamp, Parallels, etc.?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

M1: The end of Bootcamp, Parallels, etc.?

Post by James Steele »

So I'd often considered getting Parallels to run a virtual Snow Leopard machine to see if I could perhaps finagle UniSyn into working somehow. But honestly, it's an experiment I don't think I'll ever get to... not to mention that with new Macs running on Apple Silicon, seems like running Snow Leopard... or especially a virtual Windows machine is going to be a thing of the past. The Intel processors were what made that feasible from what I understand.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Re: M1: The end of Bootcamp, Parallels, etc.?

Post by bayswater »

For a while I had an old Mini running SL and some things that wouldn’t work on newer Macs. Cubase SX3 and Unisyn were two of them. It was possible to put the SL desktop on a window on newer Mac via Screen Sharing. This still worked with Mojave about a year ago.

No mucking around with emulation and the apps running on the old Mini simply appear as windows on the newer system. I don’t know the price of a really old Mini, but it can’t be much more than Parallels.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:54 pm For a while I had an old Mini running SL and some things that wouldn’t work on newer Macs. Cubase SX3 and Unisyn were two of them. It was possible to put the SL desktop on a window on newer Mac via Screen Sharing. This still worked with Mojave about a year ago.

No mucking around with emulation and the apps running on the old Mini simply appear as windows on the newer system. I don’t know the price of a really old Mini, but it can’t be much more than Parallels.
That's a great idea. I should look into that. It would be cool to be able to run Unisyn. Only thing I wonder is that would necessitate having both my primary Mac and the old Mini being able to simultaneously access the my MIDI interfaces. I suppose I could use some sort of USB switch to temporarily give the Mini access to the interface connected to hardware modules that I want to do Sysex with. Hmmm..... thanks for the interesting info...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:56 pm Only thing I wonder is that would necessitate having both my primary Mac and the old Mini being able to simultaneously access the my MIDI interfaces. I suppose I could use some sort of USB switch to temporarily give the Mini access to the interface connected to hardware modules that I want to do Sysex with. Hmmm..... thanks for the interesting info...
Yes thats a complication. I used a MIDI merge and a splitter left over from when I had a rack of modules, but if your setup is USB end to end, its not obvious how to do it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8