Piano roll snapping

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TimCox
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Piano roll snapping

Post by TimCox »

So I just upgraded from DP9 to 11 and suddenly when I'm trying to edit my terrible playing in the piano roll, every time I click a note it snaps down a few octaves. It doesn't change the note, it's only on the initial click making dragging notes around nearly impossible. My work around has just been to make the piano roll big enough that it doesn't affect my editing but I REALLY don't want giant tracks all over my sequence.

I've searched around and can't seem to find a setting or something that needs to be changed and it only started after the switch to dp11. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Piano roll snapping

Post by James Steele »

I'm on Mac, and I'd try to help if I can, but I don't quite understand what you're describing?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

Probably easier to just show you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzR5keFMHFw

In the video I scroll in the piano roll and then as soon as I click the note the piano roll position snaps elsewhere which makes editing inside the sequence very difficult. I'm sure there's some simple solution that I am just missing. This did not happen in DP9
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

This video is tough to see on my phone, but what it looks like is that you are trying to edit the indicators for notes that are scrolled off screen. Those are not the actual notes. It's scrolling to them. There's a setting in MIDI prefs to turn those on/off.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

I'm sure they are the notes, I get a note playback upon clicking and if they're within where the piano roll keeps snapping down to I can drag them around to new notes as always
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Now that I've seen the video on a larger screen, my last post is must appear strange - confused a couple of things. Anywho, try unchecking/turning off MIDI Auto Zoom in Preferences --> Scrolling and Zooming --> MIDI Auto Zoom --> Auto zoom MIDI tracks in current project.
TimCox

Post by TimCox »

That's it! Good lord, I knew it would be simple but trying to search the manual wasn't working, I and my workflow thank you
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Glad that helped. I 'm starting to believe that that snapping issue might be a bug. I don't see how that behavior is beneficial in any way. If you adjust the track zoom with the magnifying glass it stops the snapping behavior also. Bug or feature???
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

That is strange! I need to look into it. I probably have never encountered it because I'm so accustomed to working in the MIDI Editor window. I almost never edit MIDI in the Sequence Editor.... more out of habit than anything else really.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!