Fender buys PreSonus (StudioOne etc.)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Fender buys PreSonus (StudioOne etc.)

Post by monkey man »

James Steele wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 pm
monkey man wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:55 pm OTOH we have our beloved MOTU, owned by... MOTU... since the early '80s. :headbang:
Yep. And never taken public. Not sure if that's good or bad, but who knows. :)
The obvious implication in my post was that it's a good thing of course (IMHO), Jimbo. :headbang:

I've always had the feeling that buyouts threaten to wreck the passion and dedication of the existing core group big-time.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:49 pm Didn't we hear Fender was technically bankrupt 2 or 3 years ago? Lots of assets but not much cash flow?
The problem is Guitar Center after Bain got done with them. GC's been teetering on the edge for a number of years, now. If it goes under, Fender especially is in a world of hurt. One reason they sold Guild was to beef up cash flow.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Just what you want - a company financially near-the-edge buying your DAW.

:shake:

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:49 pm Just what you want - a company financially near-the-edge buying your DAW.

:shake:
Yea… Fender is actually ok on paper but… It's that the companies that make up Guitar Center owe them so much money and have come close to defaulting a few times in recent years. Fender can't afford to cut them off since that might put GC into Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Fender would lose any chance of seeing their's.

(Hmmm... how to write this without getting political? Here goes)**REDACTED BY ADMIN** Only their shareholders made money while everyone else was left holding tremendous bags of debt. GC managed to survive—barely—and is still digging out.

Full disclosure: My younger daughter now works for Bain & Company in San Francisco. Soooo glad that she has a good job during the pandemic but let's just say that I am conflicted.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sorry, Mike... I was just uncomfortable with some of that. It opens the door to a debate because there's a "guilt be association" implication... and that leads to a "guilt by [party] affiliation" implication. Which I could debate and so could others... so it opens a door I'd rather not open. Hope you understand. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:04 am Sorry, Mike... I was just uncomfortable with some of that. It opens the door to a debate because there's a "guilt be association" implication... and that leads to a "guilt by [party] affiliation" implication. Which I could debate and so could others... so it opens a door I'd rather not open. Hope you understand. Thanks.
Everybody knows Mike is a great guy! :headbang:

I’ve never said this to you, but over time I have come to really appreciate your strict and even enforcement of the “no politics” rule. It’s everywhere else and this is one place I can go where it isn’t.

Thank you, Thank you.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

nk_e wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:05 am I’ve never said this to you, but over time I have come to really appreciate your strict and even enforcement of the “no politics” rule. It’s everywhere else and this is one place I can go where it isn’t.

Thank you, Thank you.
+1
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:22 am
nk_e wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:05 am I’ve never said this to you, but over time I have come to really appreciate your strict and even enforcement of the “no politics” rule. It’s everywhere else and this is one place I can go where it isn’t.

Thank you, Thank you.
+1
+2
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

As the Super Mod over at Rig Talk, which has a full-blown off-topic section with 13 sub-forums, I can attest to the amount of hard work it requires to keep things running smoothly and maintain a positive vibe.

James has it easy. :lol: :love: :unicorn:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 pm As the Super Mod over at Rig Talk, which has a full-blown off-topic section with 13 sub-forums, I can attest to the amount of hard work it requires to keep things running smoothly and maintain a positive vibe.

My sympathies. The off topic list there has some crazy stuff on it. Maybe there is a time and place to discuss such things, but this isn't it. Thanks to James for keeping it clean.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:37 pm As the Super Mod over at Rig Talk, which has a full-blown off-topic section with 13 sub-forums, I can attest to the amount of hard work it requires to keep things running smoothly and maintain a positive vibe.

I have it easy because I put my foot down early on, and made certain rules very, very hard and fast. Like the no politics rule. I also got accused more than once of being an authoritarian by people I clashed with who didn't want to follow the rules and trashed over at Gear Slutz (which I guess is called something else now?). It's only easy, because I had to have a near zero-tolerance policy. We have off-topic discussion allowed but no politics or religious discussion.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh, I'm 100% aware of that Jimbo and kudos to you brother. The mainly-MOTU focus of this forum benefits greatly from your policy and implementation of it IMHO. :headbang:

The Rig Talk situation is obviously-different for me 'though; I'm not gonna walk into a 20-year-old cock-rock forum that has a bit of a wild-west reputation that many in that genre enjoy (rock 'n roll baby!) and turn it into a politically-correct shadow of its former self. There're enough audio-related forums that have always been that way and plenty also morphing into such things as it is, Gearspace being one of them.

Long live Mark of the Unicorn, I say. :unicorn:

Jim

Post by Jim »

Getting back to Presonus... I never even looked at their DAW, but I've bought some of their hardware, and found it to be good quality a great value. It was made in the USA, too, for those who appreciate that.

Something that could change with an acquisition: I purchased an audio interface that had one bad channel. I contacted Presonus to tell them about it. They shipped me a new unit that day, and asked me to return the defective one at my convenience and their expense.

That's the kind of customer service that's gold, and too rare. I've only seen anything similar with ATTO and AJA.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Impressive, Jim!

Good that they're made in America too mate.