88-Key Controller

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 88-Key Controller

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:On a (slightly) related topic, I wonder how many keyboards use higher resolution pitch bend. IIRC, the MIDI spec allows for 14-bits for pitch, but I don't know if manufactures actually end up using that, or 7-bit, or somewhere in between. Smooth bends may be a product of whether the engine does any smoothing.
All the keyboards I've used transmit pitch values in the range +/-8192 so I assume they use all 14 bits.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have settled on a Roland A800 Pro as my second, unweighted keyboard. It checks all the boxes for me in the control department (the drum pads are shite but I have a dedicated Korg padKontrol for that) but, most importantly the keyboard is very smooth, provides aftertouch and is NOT NOISY. I tried a couple of Nektar keyboards; the clacking clack of those keyboards was disconcerting to say the least... one of my primary uses for the unweighted keyboard is as an Organ controller. Smears on so many of the controller keyboards simply makes a racket! The Roland feels much better and is very quiet.

I mention this because, in addition to the different feel unweighted keys provide, controllers like the A800 provide all the MIDI controls one could want or need... 9 faders, at least 8 rotary, pitch bend and modulation. Transport control. Expression pedal input (and yes, you can use a Yamaha FC7 - the best expression pedal IMO - with Roland gear, you just need to flip the tip and sleeve connections). These will augment any 88 key piano-style controller that may lack controls one needs in the studio and, since DP will merge data from multiple MIDI controllers, one can play one keyboard while adding control from another simultaneously.

The A800 has a decent software editor, too. And, seeing as how it has the Roland pitch/mod paddle (which I find superior to standard pitch bend wheels, especially for adding vibrato to Electric Guitar-style leads) I have programmed one of the rotary controllers to send CC 01 (mod wheel) commands, for those times I need to use mod wheel CC to establish a value like filter frequency. The downside of the Roland paddle is modulation always returns to zero when released. Using a rotary controller to augment the paddle overcomes this issue.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

stubbsonic wrote:On a (slightly) related topic, I wonder how many keyboards use higher resolution pitch bend. IIRC, the MIDI spec allows for 14-bits for pitch, but I don't know if manufactures actually end up using that, or 7-bit, or somewhere in between. Smooth bends may be a product of whether the engine does any smoothing.
Funny you should mention this, as Arturia just came out with a firmware update for a KL88mkII promising to do just this. I applied the update, and really don't see any difference. Still seeing +/- 8192, but I don't remember the incremental resolution.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

cuttime wrote:Still seeing +/- 8192, but I don't remember the incremental resolution.
+/- 8192 is 14-bits of resolution.

The question is whether the ADC is converting the pot at full 14-bits of resolution, or is it interpolating in software, or just jumping in values.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ArdellaPolinski

Post by ArdellaPolinski »

My console was utilized as a control board, weighted keys were significant. Eventually, I chose the Roland A-88. I love the weighted trigger and the ivory key material.
frankf

Post by frankf »

I’ve been using a Casio Px-5s here for a while and I very much like the “ivory” feel of the keys. I’m a piano player and have an early 70’s Yamaha U1 which I love and I’ve played by many Steinway, Yamaha and Bosendorfers on tour and while recording. I previously used a Kurzweil KX88, now my backup, and like the feel of the Px-5s better. Lots of controller capability too. And sounds with fairly deep programmability. Don’t be deterred by the Casio brand. Obviously a choice is subjective but check one out. You may be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm I'd avoid M-Audio at any cost!
LOL
One of the best is M-Audio...
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Gate 13 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 pm
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm I'd avoid M-Audio at any cost!
LOL
One of the best is M-Audio...
Generally speaking though this is good advice. As far as why M-Audio might be a good choice a good friend was looking at either the M-Audio one or Arturia. The reason to even look at the arturia was some attention paid to the action wing different from low to high on pianos that apparently M-Audio did a good job on. He’s going with the Arturia 88 key for the DAW controls offered etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 pm Generally speaking though this is good advice. As far as why M-Audio might be a good choice a good friend was looking at either the M-Audio one or Arturia. The reason to even look at the arturia was some attention paid to the action wing different from low to high on pianos that apparently M-Audio did a good job on. He’s going with the Arturia 88 key for the DAW controls offered etc.
My experience with Arturia was not good. Aside from a OS that made it difficult to do the simplest things, a few keys stopped working after a year. Support was RTFM. I took it back where I got it and they shrugged and said a lot of them had come back in.
Michael Canavan

bayswater wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:35 am
Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 pm Generally speaking though this is good advice. As far as why M-Audio might be a good choice a good friend was looking at either the M-Audio one or Arturia. The reason to even look at the arturia was some attention paid to the action wing different from low to high on pianos that apparently M-Audio did a good job on. He’s going with the Arturia 88 key for the DAW controls offered etc.
My experience with Arturia was not good. Aside from a OS that made it difficult to do the simplest things, a few keys stopped working after a year. Support was RTFM. I took it back where I got it and they shrugged and said a lot of them had come back in.
was this recently or years ago? Arturia’s quality has gone up exponentially in the last couple years, but I remember seeing 49 key controllers in GC with wonky broken keys.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It was a second gen Keylab 61. Rubbish. Still have the VIs that came with it. They're OK.
Halena
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Halena »

I will go with Roland pianos FP-30/A-88. Yamaha P125, Casio, Korg are also good choices.
These are so user-friendly and the price is under $1000. On the other hand,
if I talk about M-Audio Hammer 88 It takes a lot of space and
At this price, none to speak of.
Michael Canavan

At this point I would recommend the Komplete Control S88 MKII. DP11 supports it completely, and although the lights are weird, when searching for the range of keyswitches it's super useful. I'm waiting until after I pay my taxes but I think this is the next big purchase for me. (Plus I still want aftertouch in a weighted keyboard. The Akai MPK88 has it but it's getting fuzzy with the buttons at this point)
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 pm I like having my main controller include the ability to generate sound directly... very handy when the computer is off, a VI isn't handy, a big buffer is being run or mastering plugins are inserted on the master buss.

I've been looking to move my Yamaha S90es out of the studio and am seriously considering the Yamaha P515, with its very sweet action and triple sensor hammer action keys. I must admit to being somewhat of a Yamaha fanboy, as the company's products have proven themselves extremely durable and reliable on the road.

Solid action and internal piano sounds make for a great studio partner whether I'm composing, producing or directing other performers while recording. The P515's lack of Pitch and Mod wheels and Expression Pedal input are not an issue for me as I have a lightweight controller on hand that has these features (DP merges the MIDI data, so I can use on for control while playing the other.)

Regardless of what you ultimately choose, consider the potential benefits having on-board sound may bring to your situation.
Absolutely right! I was looking for a new controller to replace my old M audio Keystation 88. It was more important to me to have onboard sounds, at least a piano, than to have faders and other workstation features. I'm like you HC- I want a keyboard I can walk up to and immediately get a sound, regardless of the state of the studio.

My new main controller is (don't laugh) a Roland RD-88 Stage Piano. It has the same keyboard as the A-88 controller, with escapement, ivory feel, etc., and I love it. It also has a mod wheel, whereas the A-88 does not. I use a pedal system, but sometimes it's easier to jump to the mod wheel, so it needs to be there. The piano sounds are nice, IMO better than Yamaha in the same price range. When I'm using it as a controller, there is a dedicated button for turning off the speakers..

The only drawback was, I had to make a special stand for it to fit in my setup, which included large holes in the bottom shelf, so as not to cover the speakers there. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Killahurts wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:38 amMy new main controller is (don't laugh) a Roland RD-88 Stage Piano. It has the same keyboard as the A-88 controller, with escapement, ivory feel, etc., and I love it. It also has a mod wheel, whereas the A-88 does not. I use a pedal system, but sometimes it's easier to jump to the mod wheel, so it needs to be there. The piano sounds are nice, IMO better than Yamaha in the same price range. When I'm using it as a controller, there is a dedicated button for turning off the speakers..

The only drawback was, I had to make a special stand for it to fit in my setup, which included large holes in the bottom shelf, so as not to cover the speakers there. :wink:
Why would anyone laugh? That looks like a nice piece of kit... would be great for gigging, so lightweight. If/when my S90ES dies (or my back gives out), something like the RD-88 would be very nice for MainStage.

A few months back, I ended up picking up a used Yamaha P-255 from a young man who had just graduated from college and was moving. I was already familiar with the keyboard and really like the action, so when I stumbled upon this very clean used axe for $650 in LA, on a day when I happened to be in LA, I jumped on it and it now resides happily in my studio, freeing me from having to schlep the S90 in and out between live gigs. You still can't buy a P-515 anywhere, so the find was sweet in more ways than one.