Time to abandon Safari?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Time to abandon Safari?

Post by monkey man »

Waves is fine with my old version of Safari brother - v13.1.2.

I have trouble sometimes getting to various sites via email links, but that's because social-media (and double-click and others) are blocked by Little Snitch.

So, if Waves is presenting a problem, I'd start with the "simple" .com address and work from there.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I only use Safari when it's the only browser a website will work with on macOS. I consider it an unsafe browser and abandoned it years ago.

Firefox has been iffy on macOS, at least a number of years ago, so I only use it as a last resort, but it remains my first choice on Windows.

Opera has been far and away my favorite browser on macOS for years, just as it was previously (but not for a long time now) on Windows.

I use Chrome exclusively for the vi-control forum and nothing else, but at work I have to use it for certain required Chrome-specific sites.

Got burned as an alpha tester back in the beginning, pre-beta, and remain suspicious of a browser that effectively runs as a VM or OS.

I use DuckDuckGo in every browser on every OS. Not because I care if I'm tracked (I don't; nothing to hide), but to avoid so many ads.

One of the great things about Opera is that it picks up where a download stalled, avoiding the "number of tries" issues with many vendors.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When I had a day job, it involved a lot of research. A few sites using old code only worked with Firefox.

Salesforce was our CRM and is optimized for Chrome — nothing else works as well. If there’s an issue, you can submit a trouble ticket in the Tools menu—they don’t get back to you but I’ve never had one go unresolved over 4 hours. I had to search certain web sites with pdf files containing hundreds of pages. Chrome finds what you need in about the time it takes to type the search words while FF and Safari could take 20 minutes or more. I recently had an issue with a State of California site that only worked in Safari till I submitted a ticket in Chrome and a few hours later it was resolved.

For years, you could watch the Apple product rollouts only over Safari but I watched the last one over Chrome without a problem.

There’s an issue for many with printing web pages from Chrome. They want you to use CTRL + SHIFT + P (Win) or Command Option P (Mac) to use System printing. On the Mac, that is easily fixed by a Terminal command:

defaults write com.google.Chrome DisablePrintPreview -boolean true
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:03 pm
I use DuckDuckGo in place of Google. They have a browser too?
Yes they do but it's iOS only (perhaps Android, too?). You download it from the App Store. I've been using it on my iPad and it works pretty well. At the moment, using it to search for estimates on the work we're having done. I use Safari for iOS otherwise.

The app you download for the Mac is a Safari extension and has issues according to some reviews. Sticking with Chrome.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JennyMalin
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by JennyMalin »

I have not been using Safari.
Feels so foreign and complicated.
Its all about user experience!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Since the last update, I've been having lots of issues with Safari on my old 5,1 Mac Pro/Mojave. I like it better than Chrome, but have been forced to use the Google product on a number of occasions of late.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:03 am Since the last update, I've been having lots of issues with Safari on my old 5,1 Mac Pro/Mojave. I like it better than Chrome, but have been forced to use the Google product on a number of occasions of late.
Same here. I had thought it was due to the increased security against ad trackers, and found looking in the details that it was preventing access to some sites because the link included specific ad trackers. Waves was one of these sites.

But I’ve started to find sites that are simply not rendered properly by Safari but still rendered properly by Chrome. Notable, Safari appear to misinterpret some calendar information, somewhat inconvenient when you want to schedule something. I’ve some across sites displaying calendars that show every month starting on Sunday, but only with Safari. In others, images are shown not at all, or only for a split second when the site first comes up. I noticed iTunes has a similar issue with some album cover images.

This morning I saw a notice for an app called Browsersaurus that sets itself as the default browser, then asks you which browser you want to use for each site you access. Haven’t tried it yet.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8